addicted to diet related tv shows!

Options
2»

Replies

• Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There are diet-related TV shows?

Goes to show you how much I know about TV. Football, that's about it.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Secret Eaters blows me away. The amount of self-delusion those people have is amazing.

I saw one episode where this couple repeatedly insisted that they just couldn't lose weight no matter how little they ate, and yet, as soon as the camera crews left they went to a pub (where they didn't know they were being watched), and each had a 2500 calorie meal. Then back home for dinner. And they didn't log the pub at all.

:P

Secret eater is a riot!!! Love that show....how many of them swear they eat 1200 calories a day but actually eat 3500 calories!!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, anything on TV is too skewed by advertisement dollars to ever give a realistic weight loss scenario. They always exercise the crap out of the people to bring their weight down, and then bring on some dietitian or nutritionist who insists that they eat some unhealthy, yet profitable, crap.

Those shows are inspirational until they forget to address sustainable healthy living, which comes largely from good food habits.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm the same... if it's about weight loss, I love it. Even my 600lb life. Although I would find it more inspiring if it wasn't all about surgery... because there are people who have started that size and lost all the weight through healthy eating and exercise. .. not saying that bariatric patients don't do those too... but lots of people have done it without the assistance of surgery.

Anyways, off my soapbox. I love weight loss shows. I love Biggest Loser because Jillian Michaels is totally my woman crush and I would KILL to have her screaming in my face for an hour ... I think it would tap into a whole other level of determination. And Dolvett is just too sexy ;)

I am no lesbian but every time I see Jillian Michael's body i suddenly wonder if I am lol. But Chris Powell's wife (from Extreme Weight Loss) has an insane body too!!

I do make it sound like I watch an insane amount of TV - really most days I don't watch any. HOWEVER, on the weekends I find all the crap I've DVRd and watch it for spurts of 2-4 hours on the treadmill. I live for it....
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I didn't know these shows existed! I suddenly wish I was British... I guess that's what Youtube is for.
  • briannashaw_
    briannashaw_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love Extreme Weight Loss and The Biggest Loser. I just heard about My 600lb life, but never watched it before.
  • kwin1973
    kwin1973 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Ooooh and Extreme Weight Loss - one of my favorites with Chris Powell but I don tknow when that's on or if it still is

I believe it's a summer show. They are in the process of introducing the upcoming participants on their Facebook page. I love that show too! It really motivates me.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i love diet related tv shows. I literally can't get enough of them.
    My faves are 'supersize vs super skinny' and 'secret eaters'
    I also love 'fat families' and an American one called 'I used to be fat'
    Anyone else watch any others?
    I've found the BBC one on Youtube, 'supersize vs super skinny' helpful and inspiring... talk about reality! I find it much healthier to watch and far more useful than shows like Biggest Loser. I'll have to check out the others... thanks!
    What's interesting is some of the "super skinnies" supposedly live on as much as 1700 cals a day, I don't believe that.
    What season is this happening??? The only super skinnies I've seen on that show are eating 300-900 a day and the 900 is pretty high for some of the super skinnies. If they were eating 1700 a day I can't see them being so skeletal and even on the show. Perhaps I misunderstood your post?
    Season 1 Ep7 she is getting 1600 cals per day, Season 4 Ep 2 she is getting 1700 cals per day and Season 2, Ep 7 she is getting 1800 cals per day. Those were just some random ones I picked from youtube. I guess there could be some where the calorie intake is super low but I havent seen any yet :/
  • Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love any food or diet programs, from Come Dine With Me, Man V Food, to Secret Eaters (so delusional!) , but my favourite is Fat:Fight of my life with the god Jessie Pavelka. He's gorgeous!
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the documentaries (America the Beautiful: 2, Killer at Large, Hungry for Change), though I always take them w/ a grain of salt. Mostly I prefer cooking / baking shows... Cake Boss, Top Chef, etc
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bump for future reference!
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Secret Eaters
    Losing It with Jillian
    Fat Families
    Obese: A Year To Change My Life
    You Are What You Eat