Cardio with bad knees?

Options
I am looking to do more cardio workouts in order to help lose weight, but my knees are an issue. When I was younger, I dislocated one and ever since then I've had pain in them from time to time. What are some good ways to do cardio when knee pain is an issue? Or is there some way to prevent the knee pain?

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Swimming!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Swimming!

^ This, you took the word right outta my mouth...........
  • TylerAvenger
    Options
    That is definitely something I will be looking into doing once summer rolls around and my family's pool is usable again!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I do light cardio one day and e next heavy cardio. It made a big difference with knee pain.
  • marialydia
    marialydia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For knees, non-weight-bearing cardio has helped me enormously.

For a long while I swam...freestyle is great, but avoid the breaststroke.

Recently I discovered rowing on the concept 2 in the gym. Fabulous. I am convinced it has already, after two months of rowing 2-3 times per week, helped my knees and it is no longer painful to stand up after sitting for a prolonged period of time.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    Swimming is very low impact, but it burns off a ton of calories. I have arthritis in my shoulders, hips and knees. When I can't ride my bike outside, I go to our indoor pool. Works great, makes me terribly hungry though :laugh: :happy: :laugh: :happy:
  • TylerAvenger
    Options
    What are some examples of non-weight bearing cardio exercises?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    fixed foot cardio like elliptical or stairs are fine.. believe it or not biking can be hard on the knees if you're not pushing from the heels.
  • TylerAvenger
    Options
    Thanks for the support and suggestions, everyone. :)
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cycling is great if you have your bike set up correctly and use correct technique.

Honestly I have found that building up leg strength by increasing my walking has almost reduced my knee pain to nothing. I also agree with all the people saying swimming, such a hard workout and super kind to the knees (and ankles) aqua aerobics is also great. I go to two different classes. A shallow water one where you do a lot of running etc but because it is in water there is very little impact (but still very hard work!) and a deep water one which is pretty hard work as well but mainly strength work.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Try rowing, swimming or beating the crap out of a tyre with a sledgehammer.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Water exercises helped my bad knee - even walking in the water can help. As you lose weight the fluid / fat around the knee joints will lessen and this will help your knee. With my "****ie" left knee (Bursitis) I could not use the leg press a couple of months ago - now it is no trouble but I am still a little cautious all the same.
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yoga yoga yoga and more yoga.
    It is WONDERFUL for people of EVERY shape, size, fitness level, and with any injuries. There are ALWAYS modifications available if injuries prevent you from moving into a full pose. It is also very good for building strength and increasing stamina.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, and to this day, I still have dislocations. (25 years after the first dislocation)

I've found that I do a little more arm movement instead of the leg movement, like when I do aerobic dancing. I try to compensate one way or another.

And swimming is always a friend to us with bad knees!! :)

ETA: Annie above me is right! I found that there is a yoga class not far from my house that offers "Level 1" yoga, which is specific for those who have injuries, arthritis, or specific issues that keep them from doing certain movements that could cause pain, strain, or another injury.

Best of luck to you!! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling is my primary cardio exercise. Even with three major knee injuries and two surgeries.....

Caveat - all injuries are different to a degree but avoiding impact is generally a good idea.
    To help knee stability and reduce knee pain strength training is also very important but depending on how your knee reacts will define how you go about strength training. Quad strength is very important when you have wonky knees.

Rowing, stepper and elliptical are also very good but try and increase the resistance to get most benefit.
  • sombrefawn
    sombrefawn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you'd like to keep things simple and free: Fitness Blender on Youtube has some great low impact cardio videos you could do at home..
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I would add lunges, just go slow with them to build strength around a knee or both knees. I'm able to run even after years of injuries in my knees from volleyball. But, the best cardio is swimming, period.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis, which causes my knee cap to pop to one side. I had gone to my chiropractor about my back as my gait was off and I needed some spinal readjustments. He actually took care of my knee too!! Virtually no pain - I mean, it does still twang every once in a while, but nowhere near as bad. At least I can walk with confidence that I won't be falling. My exercise of choice is walking because I can do it anywhere, but it sure is hard when the knees are acting up.

BUT... I agree with others about swimming. That's a wonderful exercise! And biking, if you are able.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Swimming, cycling and cardio boxing are all fantastic options. They certainly helped me through a period when I wasn't able to run because of patella tendonitis