Really confused.. whats wrong with me?

Options
I started 2 weeks ago at 261.8, I weighed in about 10 days later and weighed 250.3 I was exstatic! then I weight to my TOPs meeting lastnight and weighed back in at 261.2 what the heck? I weighed myself this morning and weighed 255.3 I'm so confused on what's going on with my body.

I've given up sweets, high carbs, soda, I walk 2 miles everyday with no rest days, I never cheat and I always eat whole wheat or whole grain foods. I can def see a difference but the scale is being really rude to me.

Any ideas?

Replies

• onmyway57
    onmyway57 Posts: 22
    Options
    when you started did you weigh on there scales and then come home and weigh on yours. You really chose one place to weigh and not weigh any where else it can get you very upset and could cause you to over eat
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to weigh everyday as well.
    the TOM will cause a bit of gain with water retention but it will drop off right after
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    also gluten causes bloating as well.
    Ive found consistancy in my weight since ive gone gluten free
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    About a million things could be happening. Water retention, food in your stomach, the clothes you wore on each occasion, muscle growth, bloating... etc. Scales are liars, the only way to tell what is really happening is with a measuring tape or a caliper. Use the scale as a pseudo tool but not the end all of your progress. If your clothes fit better, you look thinner, etc... that's all tell tale signs you are on a great path.
  • fifilan
    fifilan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also if you are weighing at different times of day, i.e., morning vs night, there will be differences.
  • garygivan5
    Options
    It's best to lay off ANY wheat products and whole grains. Including all corn and soy. It's just pure sugar as far as the liver is concerned. Some goes for energy and the rest goes to fat. Stick to protein and veggies for now and re-introduce grains later on, if you so choose.
  • gabrielsnapcity
    Options
    Most definitely water retention. Or different scales. Doesnt matter. Dont look at scales, you'll drive yourself absolutely insane. Just stick to your macros and look at your body everyday.
  • gabrielsnapcity
    Options
    Oh and as ****ty as it sounds, you really should count calories. Its tedious and it sucks, but it works. Find your BMI and go under it by 200-400 calories everyday.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're using two different scales.

that's your problem. Pick one scale and stick with it.
  • weightlossferdayz
    Options
    always use the same scale,
    and make sure you're eating enough.
    people think starving themselves is a good idea but its not, it messes with your metabolism.

keep at it. :)
  • DottiAlicea
    Options
    I do count calories.

And for everyone that replied thank you. On Saturday I did my measurments lol :) Someone told me that it is best to do measurements instead of weigh ins. Which you guys obv agree with!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    when you first switch over to a calorie deficit from eating at a calorie surplus, your body turns to its glycogen stores to make up the difference. this is the energy most readily available to your muscles. it's stored with water. as you deplete those reserves, your body uses and sheds the water. this is why in the first 10-14 days of any diet where you are consistently in a calorie deficit, you will see a large early loss. it's not fat you're losing, it's mostly that water. once you go back to eating at a surplus for a couple of days, you can fill up those energy reserves again quickly - which leads to water again being retained. this sounds like what you are going through. i've seen my weight vary by 7lbs in a 24 hour period simply due to water (1 gallon of water weighs about 8lbs).

there are other factors that could be contributing as well, but it's important to understand this glycogen depletion mechanism so that you don't misunderstand what your scale is telling you. it's also important so that you don't get upset when you see the number on the scale fluctuate wildly as a result. if you see that, you should be able to figure out why it's happened based on how well you've stuck to your calorie goal in the previous few days.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    also gluten causes bloating as well.
    Ive found consistancy in my weight since ive gone gluten free

Unless you have celiac disease, like my boyfriends niece does, or sensitivity to wheat, there is no reason to avoid gluten. It itself doesn't really offer nutritional benefits, but forgoing gluten if you don't need to could mean skipping out on easy sources of other nutrients.

www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/truth-about-gluten
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It's best to lay off ANY wheat products and whole grains. Including all corn and soy. It's just pure sugar as far as the liver is concerned. Some goes for energy and the rest goes to fat. Stick to protein and veggies for now and re-introduce grains later on, if you so choose.

^ this is complete and utter nonsense
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Wow. Uhm. Besides bro-science, do you have any sources to back up this horse hockey?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP just choose one scale. Understand that weight fluctuates by several pounds per day. If it's going to cause you serious anxiety then don't weigh so often. I'm a daily weigher but it doesn't stress me-- I could weigh anywhere from 123-128 depending on salt the day before, whether I've been to the beach or had alcohol, time of month, and how much exercise I did the day before.

Be patient and track the overall trend. And don't believe the scare mongering around specific foods, unless you've got reason to believe you have a food intolerance or other medical condition.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    weigh once a week on the same scale.
    And measure with a measuring tape.. your size could be changing even though the scale isn't moving. I usually measure every two weeks.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If you were weighing in at a meeting, I assume you were fully clothed. Clothing can weight much more than you expect, especially if you're wearing jeans and/or boots. Even a bulky sweater. Put that all together and it can add up.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I started 2 weeks ago at 261.8, I weighed in about 10 days later and weighed 250.3 I was exstatic! then I weight to my TOPs meetinglast night and weighed back in at 261.2 what the heck? I weighed myself this morning and weighed 255.3 I'm so confused on what's going on with my body.

I've given up sweets, high carbs, soda, I walk 2 miles everyday with no rest days, I never cheat and I always eat whole wheat or whole grain foods. I can def see a difference but the scale is being really rude to me.

Any ideas?

Weight fluctuates greatly during the day. Most people weight a lot more at night than first thing in the morning. Hormonal changes can retain water, that is mostly a female problem, and weight will be higher around those times of month for most women. Scales are not good at determining weight loss, they just give you a general idea about how far you've come.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You're using two different scales and your weight is fluctuating. I've made this mistake more times than I care to admit and I've allowed it to mess with my efforts. I've decided to put the scale away for a month, track my eating and get my exercise, and then weigh again and reevaluate.