Polar HRM question

Options
I have an opportunity to get a HRM (will be my first unit) for $75.... through my job. The one available has a description that says its for men???? the model is 90039170...Polar Fitness FT7 Heart Rate Monitor

Can I use this as a female? Is this a decent, reliable unit? I want to track my level of exertion during workouts as my treadmill is misleading and I have no clue if I'm working hard enough while doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution.

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    yes you can use it. there is an option to enter your gender as well as age height and weight. I use the same one and is priceless for working out.
  • Shell4624
    Shell4624 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!!
  • mjones6599
    mjones6599 Posts: 129
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it. It's easy to use and indeed does have a setting for female.
  • crashj
    crashj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have an HR7 (chest band kind) and use it everyday, great tool for tracking your progress and your route. If you wear headphones, it will tell you your heart rate, pace and any records you set along your route. The free iPhone app is really good. You have to moisten the strap before you put it on.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Polar FT7 (mine has a black band with gold stripe) had it since I started, very easy to set your data & use.
  • FireAuro
    FireAuro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394673796&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+heart+rate+monitor

And I've been using it multiple times a week for over a year and it hasn't failed me. Comfortable chest strap, and.. it's cute. :)
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar, but not the FT7. I have the FT40. LUV. IT!! RUN, don't walk, to get it. $75 might sound like a lot, but that's a good price. Mine was $150 a few years back, but I am SOOOOOOO glad I got it.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    If you have a heart you will be fine. There is no such thing as a male HRM. They only measure one thing ... a heart rate and male and female hearts beat just the same. The statistics you put in .. gender, weight etc is for the calorie calculation. The HRM does not measure this .. it is a math calculation, so your mileage may vary with this part of it.
  • betzengel
    betzengel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You will never regret getting a HRM. I have the one you are debating getting and love it.