Speed or Distance: Does it matter which I work on first?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! Looks like after my race I'll be looking to increase my endurance. As a related question, does anyone have advice on when I should start bridging from a 5k to a 10k? Should I find it super easy (even if I'm not that fast) to run a 5k before I start training? And does anyone have a good training program for building up endurance that they'd recommend?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm absolutely clueless as you can tell.

Don't limit the length of your runs to the distance of the event for which you're training. I would start adding distance to at least one of the 5k runs your doing each week now. Running farther will make the 5k "easier".

Although the more I run the harder 5Ks get.

Truth. 5Ks burn.
  • rainandwood93
    rainandwood93 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Is there a limit to how much farther I should be going on these runs? Add half a mile every two weeks? Are there any "warning signs" that should show me I'd be going too fast with increasing distance? I'm very heavy so running isn't exactly pleasant just yet, but I tend to push through.

Apparently I was waaay off about my ideas for how to best train for the 5k. Thanks for the help guys!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Endurance first, speed follows.

this +1
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your overall goals are. My wife is a marathon runner, so when I started running, my goals were all about endurance so she and I could run together (when she did short runs anyway). So, I spent about 6 months on endurance and got to the point where she and I ran an 8 miler together.

I never really got all that much faster. I ran my first 5k three months into my training ... and at 6 months, still ran a 5k at roughly the same speed (if not actually slower, because I was running long distances more often and the overall mileage per week was actually slowing down my individual runs).

Anyway ... if you really delve into running for overall weight loss, the overwhelmingly vast majority of research is on higher intensity running--so, faster running. Specifically, training using intervals.

Running in intervals builds speed, speed endurance, burns more calories with less distance, and continues burning calories longer than endurance running. That's scientific fact.

So again, it's all about your personal running goals.

If your goal is to see how far you can go ... endurance running is *great*.

If your goal is more about running for weight loss ... use interval training.

Either way, most importantly: be safe and have fun.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Is there a limit to how much farther I should be going on these runs? Add half a mile every two weeks? Are there any "warning signs" that should show me I'd be going too fast with increasing distance? I'm very heavy so running isn't exactly pleasant just yet, but I tend to push through.

Apparently I was waaay off about my ideas for how to best train for the 5k. Thanks for the help guys!

Rule of thumb is 10% per week (so, if you're running 10 miles/week, add a mile each week)

Half of your total distance is your long run
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! Looks like after my race I'll be looking to increase my endurance. As a related question, does anyone have advice on when I should start bridging from a 5k to a 10k? Should I find it super easy (even if I'm not that fast) to run a 5k before I start training? And does anyone have a good training program for building up endurance that they'd recommend?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm absolutely clueless as you can tell.

There is no right or wrong time to start trying to increase your endurance by running for a longer period of time.
    There is no correct distance to run to train for a 5K ( the fast 5K runners are logging 60+ miles per week).

Just try to add a little bit to your run. A 1/4 mile here, a half mile there. Taking it really slowly and not building up too fast. You'll hear many say "no more than 10% increase per week", but even at that rate, you ramp up too fast. I prefer 10% increase for the week, keep it there for 2 full weeks, cut back to previous mileage for a week, then go up another 10%, later, rinse, repeat.

Time on your feet is what you need right now.

Best of luck!

100% agree. However, there is no reason why you have to run a 10k or higher. The first 4 years I ran, I only ran 5ks... I brought by 5k down to 20:59 before I ever attempted a 10k, 1/2 or full marathon. I was still logging 50 miles a week, I just wasn't pushing myself to "race" long distance events... Did I run 10ks in training? All the time! Did I run 13.1 miles? Yes! I just never "raced" it. Training in my favorite part. Like Carson said, add a little bit here & there. In like 5 years you'll be some hot shot BQ marathoner :) I started from not even being able to run a 1/2 mile... To running marathons. And I would consider myself pretty speedy :).. My advice- do both! Have fun with it!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Also, there's a group of newer/slower runners that is very supportive: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/526-bridge-to-10k

And, if you want answers based on expertise and experience: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/94-long-distance-runners
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Rule of thumb is 10% per week (so, if you're running 10 miles/week, add a mile each week)

Half of your total distance is your long run

I actually believe that is too much (and I'm not alone). 1/3 is good, 1/4 is even better.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I will never suggest that again, then :)
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I actually believe that is too much (and I'm not alone). 1/3 is good, 1/4 is even better.

Yeah, I can feel the difference between 1/3 and 1/4, with 1/4 feeling better. My current basic approach comes from Arthur Lydiard - basically 3 long runs per week (two 9 milers and an 11 right now with shorter runs on other days). I like this even better than 6 short runs and 1 long run.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Anyway ... if you really delve into running for overall weight loss, the overwhelmingly vast majority of research is on higher intensity running--so, faster running. Specifically, training using intervals.

Running in intervals builds speed, speed endurance, burns more calories with less distance, and continues burning calories longer than endurance running. That's scientific fact.

Greetings, Penman!

Our credibility is similar. We have similar weight to lose and have both gained back previously lost weight. I just want to warn you not to drink the Kool-Aid!

Like any other exercise, running is subject to the laws of science. There are rules about how the skill of running is developed. I have found the writings of Jack Daniels to be very helpful.

I would caution you not to accept advice about running from someone that does very little of it.

Running intervals can increase speed, particularly if you have a strong base of aerobic fitness and muscular/connective tissue strength. Endurance is better developed at slower speeds, since a greater proportion of your energy will be coming from aerobic metabolism. Faster running will burn more calories per unit of time, not per unit of distance. The increased afterburn from more intense exercise is negligible and easily overwhelmed by the possibility of increased duration with lower intensity exercise.

Be very careful about using the phrase, "That's scientific fact" without reference to pertinent research or easily accessible experience.

OP, gradually increase how much you run (every 3 weeks or so) until you are running 5 times a week and at least 30 miles per week. At this point, you will be faster than you are now and you will probably be ready to start introducing true high-intensity work into your program.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I finished my Zombies Run 5k training app about two weeks ago, and since then have been running a 5k every other day in preparation for a race I'm running on April 5th. However, I'm extremely goal oriented, and I'm trying to decide whether I should immediately continue training for a 10k, or work on my speed. I run a 5k EXTREMELY slowly right now (43-45 mins), and feel like if I go much faster I'll burn out, but that at my current pace I could probably go a bit longer. Does it matter which I work on first? I know that one day I would definitely like to do 10k, so it's a when and not an if question. If you say speed, is there a particular "training" program for this other than getting fitter and dropping pounds?

If it makes any difference, I'm still very obese, weighing 224 pounds at 5 foot 7.

Thanks for your help!

Work on your stamina, then you will be able to run faster for longer, which of course means a faster 5k time.

I would say longer runs before speed.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Greetings, Penman!

Great response. Kudos!