How do you protect your knees while running?

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
Hey everyone. So a goal I set for myself this summer is to run/jog/walk my first 5k. I am not a runner. I hate running. I feel like this challenge will push me into trying something different and of course help keep me fit. I do not have much intentions at this time to continue running after I complete the 5k...I just want to say that I did it!

Anyway, I have fears about doing this 5k. I have heard that running can really damage joints...especially knees. I am wondering how I can protect my knees...keep in mind that I have very horrible knees already (25-year-old).

Replies

• timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Form, shoes and not doing too much too soon.

Get fitted for shoes that fit right, at a running store. You are not looking to commit to running so don't be afraid to get some cushioning in the shoes. No need to worry about minimal shoes.

Too much Too Soon. Just don't do it. Use the C25K App to train, run at a pace that is comfortable and can breathe. Trying to run too far and too fast too soon is the best way to get injured.

Form. Run loose, don't over stride, your foot should land beneath you not in front of you. That will reduce the shock on your joints, tendons and muscles.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above. I think the biggest thing is just to not try to progress too quickly.

I was not a runner either and actually ran my first 5k without even running on the ground beforehand. I never liked running and always used the elliptical for exercise. My first 5k went much better than I expected. I did it in 30 minutes (jogging the whole time) without preparing on the ground. For me, it was more about getting the cardio capacity than the actual running part. If you are getting tired and your legs are getting sore, go ahead and take a break and use a machine to train.

I was in the same position as you at one point and I have run several mud/obstacle races including a few spartan races and a tough mudder.

Good Luck!
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree the C25K is perfect... will ease your body into it right. Even if you feel like you can run more, take it slow and work up to it! Good Luck!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Form, shoes and not doing too much too soon.

Get fitted for shoes that fit right, at a running store. You are not looking to commit to running so don't be afraid to get some cushioning in the shoes. No need to worry about minimal shoes.

Too much Too Soon. Just don't do it. Use the C25K App to train, run at a pace that is comfortable and can breathe. Trying to run too far and too fast too soon is the best way to get injured.

Form. Run loose, don't over stride, your foot should land beneath you not in front of you. That will reduce the shock on your joints, tendons and muscles.

All of this as well as some strength training to build up the muscles in your legs to help protect your knees. A lot of people are quad-dominant so need to focus on glutes and hammies. Building up my glutes has done wonders for my impact-based knee problems.

Squats, hip thrusters, dead lifts, back extensions are all great exercises (include all variations of these exercises including single leg variations)
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The thing with running is to start at the top and work down. If you say you hate running; you will, hate running. So start there. The phrase should be; I want to enjoy a 5k run, so I am going to train to do it. I am going to buy some good shoes and plan the runs. Expect some hard days and some good days. I was never a runner, I wanted muscle like most men. I needed to get fit for work, so I started to run. Once I got into it and it started to feel good I loved it. Running on a cool spring day is fantastic, I get lost in thought, the legs don't hurt and the feeling when finished is wonderful. Get your head right and the rest is easier.

I wear a fully cushioned shoe to protect my 57 year old joints, my knees are fine after years of running, cycling and playing rugby, mainly because I have ensured they I keep the muscles around the joint strong. Weight training goes hand in hand with cardio.
    If you enjoy doing something you will do it better, be positive.
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    Some great advice already! If you hate something you won't keep at it. In general we "hate" things that we are not good at, and running is no exception, with the extra bonus that you get to feel pain.
    I can only echo the Couch 2 5k advice, although I am not sure you need to invest in an expensive pair of shoes to do the initial stages. Running with a group also is fun - once you have done the first bits of C25K you might find a nice beginners group at your local running store.
    I started c25k in Oct 2011 and in Oct 2013 did a marathon in 3:47, and I currently run about 30 - 50 miles a week, so if you start slow and build up you can make really good progress!

Edit: As to the actual question, you will probably feel pain in the front of your legs for the first few sessions, as you are stressing muscles that are not used to it, but that goes away. If you have nothing wrong with your knees already, then you should be ok.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. So a goal I set for myself this summer is to run/jog/walk my first 5k.

Well done for making the commitment, it's worth doing.
    I hate running.

So I'd ask the question, why do you say you hate running? What have you done in the past that's led you to that conclusion?

Anyway, I'd support the suggestion that using a progressive programme is the way ahead, it'll ease you into the distance quite gently. That progression is one of the keys to injury free running, most people who suffer leg injury try too much, too soon.

Id suggest that you take a look through the Couch to 5K group on here, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-, read some of the advice i the stickies and join in the discussion. There are a few who've completed and moved on to other things who remain contributing as well.

The most important thing for me in improving my running was to think about my form, making sure that I'm taking short positive paces where I remain in control of my pace. But the main thing for now is just to get out on the road and start to build up your time.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. So a goal I set for myself this summer is to run/jog/walk my first 5k.

Well done for making the commitment, it's worth doing.
    I hate running.

So I'd ask the question, why do you say you hate running? What have you done in the past that's led you to that conclusion?

Anyway, I'd support the suggestion that using a progressive programme is the way ahead, it'll ease you into the distance quite gently. That progression is one of the keys to injury free running, most people who suffer leg injury try too much, too soon.

Id suggest that you take a look through the Couch to 5K group on here, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-, read some of the advice i the stickies and join in the discussion. There are a few who've completed and moved on to other things who remain contributing as well.

The most important thing for me in improving my running was to think about my form, making sure that I'm taking short positive paces where I remain in control of my pace. But the main thing for now is just to get out on the road and start to build up your time.

For me its the pain in my lungs, i get a taste in my mouth that is like blood. I can not go long, and it hurts my legs to run - especially on a hard surface. I have however started jogging on a tread mill about 2 years ago when I started this journey, but that is for a quick 5 minute warm up. I have never bothered to go longer than 5 mins. I have a mental block about running for sure...I just remember having to do it in high school and just could not stand it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For me its the pain in my lungs, i get a taste in my mouth that is like blood.

Sounds like a pace issue, recovery run pace should be slow enough to allow you to converse.
    and it hurts my legs to run

Muscular, joint or bone pain?

Muscular isn't an issue as it's a question of overload, the same as any programme. Joint or bone might suggest something else, although it could easily be shoes or form. Personally I don't use the gym often but when I have been in there I see people overstriding on the treadmill, which will lead to knee and ankle issues.
    I have a mental block about running for sure...I just remember having to do it in high school and just could not stand it.

We've all been there. As before I'd suggest a structured programme like C25K
  • Lemonshake
    Lemonshake Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I can't add much to what is already there
    But I will say. I thought I hated running. Then one day decided to give it a go.
    I went slow. Ran for a bit walked for a bit while I got used to it, but that lil sucker worms it's way in to you.
    Running gets fun. Ok maybe not always fun. But it gets addictive. I'm a lot nicer if I've had a chance for a run. Even if I don't feeling like getting off my *kitten* and going I do be ause I know once I'm there I feel a while lot better.
    I must admit when I'm stressed I even crave it a little bit.

So if you can dont go out thinking you will hate it. Just think of it as something you are going to give a go. A challenge. I will do this and I'm going to have fun with it.
    You might surprise yourself.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Last year, at Tough Mudder, I saw a girl with running capris with built in kneepads. They looked very handy for protecting her knees from falling on rocks. I want a pair, quite badly, but have been unable to find any. I know it's not what the OP was talking about, but for knee protection, I just do my best not to fall on them... The scars attest to my inability to do that.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I hated running and never did it until I was almost twice your age. Now I love it.

best tips I was given:
    1) get the right sort of shoe. It depends on whether you have a high or low instep. They must be cushioned in the right place to protect and correct your strike. The right shoes will stop you getting shin splints. Change them often. I change mine every three months. I don't run loads - only about 10 miles a week, but as soon as they stop feeling springy they are binned.

2.) Stretch out all the muscle sin your legs especially the side ones. Tightened hamstrings and side muscles (not sure what they are called) really put a strain on the knee joint. the thigh muscles need to be long and supple and warm before and after you run.

3) Take tiny steps when you start running. This is less about the knees, more to help with what you mentioned about the feeling in your lungs. Don't run too fats at first and keep your stride very small indeed until you build your stamina.

Also, I find wool hiking socks better for running than running socks. They are more cushioned and springy and they keep your feet very dry in all weather conditions.

You can get some running lycra leggings with built in extra knee support. Try Sports Direct.
  • whiteyjm47
    Options
    Just Do It. Everyone's advice is correct but... there are people who hurt themselves just getting out of bed. Your knees will probably scream and hope you'll stop what you just decided to do after 25 years asleep. Of course you can hurt yourself but... give yourself some time. Even new shoes can hurt for a while. The benefits of running are staggering. Everyone who says it can do this or that, is right but... it can also open a door of great physical and emotional satisfaction. It can put your weight loss program into hyperdrive, improve posture, advance your auto-immune system and so much more. FEAR is what sells. Your not here and doing what your doing because of a lack of courage. Author your own success.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been said, but get proper shoes, research correct form, and don't overdo it. That said, I've never been one to believe the hype of running being "bad" for knees. Take it easy and enjoy!! :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Proper form and good running shoes...worth every penny.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Start slower then you think you need to run. Much slower. Don't worry about speed, speed will come with time out running.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Caution: You may actually get hooked on it once you get used to it --

That being said, form, shoes and not progressing too fast are all important. I did get a catch in my knee the other day by starting out too fast and progressing to too quick a pace too early in the run (time constraints... stupid move on my part)... Just take it easy. If you start having problems back off for a bit... Perhaps some knee braces may help but I've never used them. Just a thought. Injuries come most often when we try to progress too quickly or don't properly stretch/warm-up.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's a Myth Running doesn't damage your Knees. In fact there has been research showing it strengthens them as it increases cartilage growth. Wear decent shoes and you'll be fine. You'll always find someone who'll give you some horror story about knee and hip replacements and give you an example of someone they know. In all likelihood the example they're giving wood have had to have those replacements if they were a runner or not

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/5-things-runners-should-know-about-knees
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Caution: You may actually get hooked on it once you get used to it --

That being said, form, shoes and not progressing too fast are all important. I did get a catch in my knee the other day by starting out too fast and progressing to too quick a pace too early in the run (time constraints... stupid move on my part)... Just take it easy. If you start having problems back off for a bit... Perhaps some knee braces may help but I've never used them. Just a thought. Injuries come most often when we try to progress too quickly or don't properly stretch/warm-up.