tea & coffee

Options
johnnylufc
johnnylufc Posts: 39 Member
hi

l love my cups of tea with two sugars . i have cut it down to 1.half spoons now but its does not taste has now.
some day i can drink up to 20 cups aday.
i have tryed the sweetnes but do not like them
what do other people use or do please
i some times drink green tea but they is only so much you can drink of that

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Coffee, black. Good coffee. That's what I do.

20 cups per day with 1 teaspoon (?) of sugar works out to 300 calories, by the way!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetener? I've been using them for years now and I actually prefer the taste to real sugar. They come in granulated and tablet forms, I usually have 1-2 tablets in my cups of tea and it's....zero calories (only calories really coming from the milk I add). Do you log your tea in your food diary?
  • KristineTrinity
    KristineTrinity Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem because I like a lot of coffee with 2 tsp/sugar for each one. And I didn't realize how much I was blowing by my allowed total of sugar every day. So I actually just decided today that I just have to keep myself to 2 cups/day as much as I love it. For tea, I really like it with a little honey in it, 1 tsp. You could do a bit more if you wanted until you get used to it. It is still a sugar but not as bad as processed white sugar and fewer calories. I can actually drink it black at this point too. I got used to it black with just honey in college since I didn't have a fridge. Can't stand it with milk and sugar now. And I'm with you about artificial sweeteners. I've never tried them, but I work with scientists and they've told me not to use them.
  • Sammun
    Sammun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just start by cutting down... There's nothing to stop you having 2 tsp of sugar, but at 30 calories for 2 tsp, 20 cups a day starts to add up. If you're willing to allocate those calories, fine. If you're not, cut down to 15 cups to start. Cut down to 1 tsp of sugar. Do it slowly, if you find it hard.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Try stevia. It's natural. And the best is straight stevia that comes in a jar like a spice. It will last forever because you only use a tiny amount. Truvia and others found in most grocery stores have additives that make it not taste as good in my opinion.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Truvia.
  • cns94
    cns94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Try stevia. It's an all natural sweetener unlike Splenda or Sweet n Low that are absolutely full of chemicals. Artificial sweeteners have been scientifically proven to build up like little chemical pockets in the brain & when consumed in mass amounts this causes a major problem: they contribute to memory loss. I'm allergic to aspartame so I switched to this and cannot tell the difference between stevia & sugar. If you find you don't like this try a little bit of honey or agave which are both very sweet and natural.
  • het100
    het100 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to need to put cream or half & half in my coffee but when I decided to lose weight I figured I would try and save the calories from the 3-4 cups that I drink per day by eliminating the cream. It only took me a week or so to get used to drinking coffee black and now I actually prefer it that way with 2-3 packets of Splenda.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I drink some green tea, some white tea, some black tea and a whole lot of herbal teas-the fruitie ones.

I like sugar in my black tea- and milk. I have this once or twice a week.

Most of the time the fruitie herb tea-like cranberry, cherry, blueberry or lemon or peppermint do the trick for me.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't stand most artificial sweeteners but a mix of truvia and sugar has worked for me for coffee and hot tea, also with sugar free creamer. And I have cut back to one cup most days, but sometimes I'll have a second at night. Giving up a pot a day AND all sweet tea was the biggest change I had to make. I wasn't eating as many calories as I was drinking! Now I drink flavored water and still get to eat most things in moderation.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I really hate stevia (it tastes planty to me) but like Splenda. Try a few different kinds and see what you like :) If not, try cutting down the amount you drink in a day. Also, I find that coffee tastes really good black when you brew it at proper temperatures in a french press. Not bitter at all, you might just like the taste!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I used to be a 2-litre a day Diet Pepsi drinker. For 25 years. Bad, bad, bad.

Last summer I decided to try to wean myself from the sweet stuff by drinking a rotation of ice water...then iced tea (no sugar)...then a diet pepsi. I got so used to the two drinks with no sweetener that when I had the Diet Pepsi, it was a bit overpowering. When it's hot outside, it's easier to drink iced water and tea so I made the adjustment a lot easier than I thought. For winter, I've changed out the ice tea with green tea and I love it to warm me up. As a side benefit, the hot tea seems to help me feel fuller.

I think resetting your tastebuds so you don't crave sweet things is something that takes time and substitutions, but it can be done. I never thought someone like me could do it.

When I crave a sweet drink, I usually have a Vitamin Water-type beverage. I get the Costco Kirkland VitaRain Zero brand. Cost about 50 cents each.
  • Sunnydale14
    Options
    It just takes time. I used to be a 1 or 2 sugars person. Now I'll happily slug my tea with none at all (although my preference is still with one). At first no sugar tasted so bland to me, but I stuck with it and my tastebuds adjusted, and now I really enjoy it. Stick at it, gradually reduce the sugar. When you like 1.5 spoons, drop to one, and so on. Good luck!
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    stick with it as you eventually get used to the taste - I cant stand sugar in my coffee now

try the pukka teas, they have some lovely flavours x