Strong lift 5x5 vs "basic workout?"

Options
I am a "beginner " so to speak to weight lifting. I have been lifting for about the past 6 weeks along with almost daily cardio. I am 5'8 ,29 year old male 215 pounds so I definitely have some weight to lose but I'm trying to add muscle and get "toned" at the same time. When I initially signed up at the gym (YMCA) I met with a fitness instructor/trainer and he gave me a pretty basic plan of

3x12x10x10 bench press
3x12x10x10 incline bench press
3x10 bicep curls
2x10 T-bar

Pretty much these standard sets for most muscles.

My question is, would it be better to do strong lifts? I have found I can do more weight by doing strong lifts (for example when doing the trainers routine I struggle (but complete) my bench press using only 50 pounds. Same scenario with bicep curls (20 pounds) would it be more advantageous to increase weight and use lower reps?

I know this place gets lots of newbie questions but I would really appreciate any advice!

Again my goal is to lose about 30 pounds but still increase my muscle and get "muscular" like every other in shape dude I see at the gym!!

Replies

• BillyWeaver1234
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Where are the exercises for your legs?
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That program is pretty lacking. Do either strong lifts or starting strength. I personally prefer starting strength because I think 5 work sets is too much. Both of these program will provide balanced development if you ensure proper form.
  • BillyWeaver1234
    Options
    Where are the exercises for your legs?

Sorry I left that off. I usually do legs twice a week (leg press machine?)
  • BillyWeaver1234
    Options
    Is "starting strength" a particular program ?
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    "Starting Strength" is a book by Mark Rippetoe. It has great, very detailed descriptions of form for the big barbell lifts, and it includes a simple beginner program that is almost exactly like Stronglifts, except Rippetoe suggests 3 sets instead of 5 sets, and he does a Power Clean instead of a bent-over row. The Power Clean is intimidating for a lot of new people, which is why a lot of beginners prefer Stronglifts.

But 3 versus 5 sets ... you can't go wrong either way. If you feel like you love the extra volume, do Starting Strength with 5 sets. Or if 5 sets is knocking you out, do Stronglifts with 3 sets.
  • BillyWeaver1234
    Options
    "Starting Strength" is a book by Mark Rippetoe. It has great, very detailed descriptions of form for the big barbell lifts, and it includes a simple beginner program that is almost exactly like Stronglifts, except Rippetoe suggests 3 sets instead of 5 sets, and he does a Power Clean instead of a bent-over row. The Power Clean is intimidating for a lot of new people, which is why a lot of beginners prefer Stronglifts.

But 3 versus 5 sets ... you can't go wrong either way. If you feel like you love the extra volume, do Starting Strength with 5 sets. Or if 5 sets is knocking you out, do Stronglifts with 3 sets.

Thank you
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i do stronglifts 5x5 and i have added the variation of power clean to front bar squat as i don't have a squat rack. the main thing to be careful of a power clean is that form is crucial.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as others said strong lift includes lifts that work a vast combination of muscles compared to spending a workout focused on arms, then a workout on legs. with strong lifts you can do 3 workouts a week and get more muscles worked out per week than the other plan. :D plus deadlifts and squats are crazy fantastic so i think everyone should at least give them a shot.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends what your goal is. 5x5's are great for muscle building... 3x10's are better for endurance/slower muscle building and toning
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends what your goal is. 5x5's are great for muscle building... 3x10's are better for endurance/slower muscle building and toning
    No! There is no rep range for toning. Reps in the 8-12 range are generally for hypertrophy. Endurance begins around 15 reps.
  • BillyWeaver1234
    Options
    So I'm a bit confused. Are strong lifts ok? I know it's to build muscle ,but I probably don't have much muscle yet since I just started weight training about 6 weeks ago?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    i feel like you're trolling... those numbers look odd

my friend is 6'2 and 140 pounds... looks like a bean.. rail thin.... benches 110 for 10 with zero training.

Are you extremely sedentary?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is better to do stronglifts.
  • BillyWeaver1234
    Options

my friend is 6'2 and 140 pounds... looks like a bean.. rail thin.... benches 110 for 10 with zero training.

Not trolling . I was very sedentary before I started working out daily. Your friend sounds awesome. Thanks for letting me know?
  • BillyWeaver1234
    Options

Not trolling . I was very sedentary before I started working out daily. Your friend sounds awesome. Thanks for letting me know?

This is 50 plus the bar of course and I've been cranking out 5 reps as opposed to 3 recently . I feel incredibly weak now though so thanks for that !
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No! There is no rep range for toning. Reps in the 8-12 range are generally for hypertrophy. Endurance begins around 15 reps.

This
  • bohlmanwe
    bohlmanwe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Pretty similar to my situation. I have been on Strong lifts for 6 weeks. I am 31, started at about 212lb and I am currently at 200. Personally, I think 5X5 SL is an excellent program as it hits the main lifts everyone should be doing. I have never benched as much as I am right now. It makes it so much more exciting to go to the gym. Good luck. Also, there is an app that you can download that will help.