Food Weighing Query...

Options
Could somebody advise please, I'm New to MFP and weighing my food. With raw or frozen veg is the weight before or after cooking, eg raw mushrooms?:smile: Thanks xx

Replies

• labtech666
    labtech666 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I always weigh my ingredients raw
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest to weigh the food raw, as well. It is possible to "after weigh" them, but while cooking, most of the time food absorbs water (like rice, pasta etc) or maybe loses some, like some veggies. And it's never exactly the same, therefore the risk of an
    inaccurate number is higher, because this time there is propably more/less water in it.

With most veggies (no maffter if frozen or fresh) it won't make such a big difference anyway :flowerforyou:
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Always good to record the highest calorie and hope for the lowest. This way you do not overestimate the count. With non starchy veggies, I usually measure by the cup instead of the weight.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Usually pre-cooked is what you want, unless the nutrition facts on the packaging state that the measurement is a cooked measurement. Things can be cooked in different ways, and can affect the calorie amount per portion, so uncooked is usually best to control for that - it'll be the same no matter what you cook or who cooks it.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Usually pre-cooked, that's what the calories on the box will account for. But some kind souls on MFP put up the cooked weights and calories so you're covered either way :)
  • Ginster87
    Options
    Great, thanks for the replies all x
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what it is. Veggies, meat (with a few exceptions) I weigh raw.
    Noodles, rice, etc. After I cook it - I am NOT boiling one serving in a separate pan when I am cooking for the family. Yes I will weigh my burger or my steak before I cook it - If I make a roast or a whole chicken - I have to weigh it after I cook it and take my portion.

Hope that makes sense. If I can realistically do mine separately before it's cooked - I do (breakfast or lunch) - but when I cook for somewhere between 4-9 people a night - depending on which kids are home (Yes I have 5 kids and a niece and nephew who lived with me - so that makes 7 kids between 8-22 years old) plus myself and my husband - I don't have time to always do it before I cook, nor is it always reasonable to do so.