Bread and Butter

Options
One of my favourite foods is a slice of bread and butter. I do put a lot of butter on my bread and my boyfriend always makes some sort of comment.

Anyway, up until now I've been including the butter in my calories because I just don't want to give it up. But the last couple of days I've found myself resenting the butter and think I would like to save the calories to eat 'more' of something else.

I'm interested to find out what other people think might be a good method of doing this and to get some ideas to experiment with...

So far my ideas include...
Not having bread and butter as a daily food and just save it as a treat now and then, although I think this might lead to a feeling of deprivation.
Changing butter for a disgusting substitute such as a margarine/spread type thing so I still feel like I'm getting my bread and butter, but it just has less calories, even though it probably won't taste the same.

That's all I can come up with so far.....
Any other thoughts/ideas/opinions would be very interesting to hear.
Thanks
x

Replies

• Slim_strategy
    Options
    maybe get smaller bread? I usually have a small loaf of bread that's about 50 calories a slice; so a tablespoon of anything looks very generous when spread over it :)
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Omg.

Bread with heaps of butter.. definitely one of my 'cheat' day foods!

I still eat bread and butter and keep with in my calories by eating lowest calorie bread I can find (weight watchers 2 slices for 110 calories!) and I use Celeb Margarine (which is only 35 calories for 2 tsps) This does it for me!

Now, Ive never really used REAL butter, so Im not sure how this will really compare and hit that craving. But its my way of still having my bread and butta!!
  • Sammun
    Sammun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat two slices of bread and butter a day. I would never ever substitute that for anything else, because no substitute tastes like butter. I just work around it elsewhere. Really, a slice of bread with butter isn't overly calorific... Maybe limit your butter, rather than substituting it.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No help here. I just love bread and butter. :-3
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are in US or UK, but here in UK you can buy half fat butter. I'm sure it must be available in US too if you look for it.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love bread, so I really limit myself on it. I buy Weight Watcher's bread or Little Big Bread by Silver Hills at Costco. I break it down into 4 slice packages and freeze it all so that it won't start growing before I use it. I used to go through 4 loaves of white bread per week, so I know that I need to limit it. As for the butter, only on special occasions due to the cost and the saturated fats. I currently use Becel margarine because there is no saturated fats.

If you are continuing to have the bread and butter, just be sure to limit yourself. Maybe do not use as much butter. Could you cut in half the amount you use?
  • NovaStar82
    Options
    Restricting myself is against my religion - lol!

In all seriousness, if you like it, enjoy it and build it into your daily/weekly meal planning for calories and macros, where's the problem? :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    FORGET anything that's not real butter. No margarine, no spread, no half fat butter... None of that is butter to a butter lover!

I bake bread a lot and butter has to go with it. It goes in popcorn. I cook with it. I loooooooooove it.

Just fit it into your day and enjoy.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Look at your local grocery store for Light Italian bread. It's 40 calories a slice, and it basically tastes like white bread, I swear by it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, get real butter... just eat less. I've given up personally, it's not worth the calories for me :(

I find cream cheese on toast just as satisfying though.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Bread and butter are heavenly. I'm in agreement with finding a lower calorie bread. Additionally, you could try cutting down on the amount of butter you use. Don't cut it in half - that'll be obvious and you may not enjoy it as much. Instead, continually use a little bit less each time. You might find that you still enjoy it just as much with less butter. I did this with the sugar in my oatmeal, and it was quite successful. I only use a quarter of what I used to, but I enjoy my oatmeal just as much as I used to.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love my light rye bread toasted with a wee little bit of butter. I don't have it every day but I have it when I want it. I don't believe in eliminating the things I love. I suggest you try using less butter. You'd be surprised how satisfied you are with just a little bit of butter, you don't need to slather it on thickly. I've been toying with the idea of using coconut oil on my toast. There's been a lot of talk lately about the health benefits of coconut oil and one of my friends said she used it on toast. I'll give it a go and see if I like it.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try a nut butter instead, or as others have suggested by lower calorie bread and have slightly less butter. I personally find cutting down harder than cutting out but it may be different for you.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    If you love bread and butter... eat the bread and butter.

I agree with all the other posters. Eat the real thing, it tastes much better. For that matter, eat good bread with it too, rather than the light 45 calorie crap. Make your own bread or buy some quality grainy bread. Might fill you up a bit more so you don't feel like you're "wasting" your calories.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories for the day, eat it.

I love bread too. I have gotten so I like to eat bread plain. Not for everyone, I know. I love the multi-grain take and bake breads the best. I can cut it in small pieces of 1-2 oz. It works well for me. I will never give up bread.
  • Shane6677
    Shane6677 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hope your BF is supporting rather than criticizing. Eat what you want if it fits in to your own personal goals.
  • kittyswing
    kittyswing Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're going to lose weight and KEEP it off - make it a new lifestyle and all - then, at least for me personally, I can't just cut out the things that I LOVE. I just have to eat less of them, or make sacrifices later elsewhere in the day so that my calories stay in check. If I were to give them up, I'd resent the whole thing. I say, echoing ideas above, to use smaller slices of bread so that the butter goes further.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Margerine = No no no - do you know whats in it? Its like eating plastic. Ugh

I'd stick to a small amount of real butter, yeah it has more calories, but its more natural and isn't full of horrid manmade ingredients to make it taste nice.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i really like cheap soft white bread, toasted, with a pat of room temp butter smeared on it. This is one of lifes pleasures, and even though butter is "bad" and white bread is "super duper bad" I wont cut them out.