Fitbit vs Jawbone

Options
Curious to see who has what and to get a comparison between the two. I've had a couple people at work tell me not to even bother that they are completely pointless but it doesn't seem to be that way to me. A friend of mine has one and she liked it while she was using it. Is one better than the other?? Are they even worth the money?? Will I actually use it for a longer than a month or so??
Thanks for your input??

Replies

• k1214
    k1214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i don't use either but just wanted to share that i got an email from cpsc today advising that some of the fitbits are being recalled. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Fitbit-Recalls-Force-Activity-Tracking-Wristband/
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have been faithfully using Fitbit since Feb of 2012. I love it, but I love data and the ability to work with that data. For me it helps keep me active, it also syncs with MyFitnessPal so my workouts and food are calculated well. I know very little about Jawbone but I have been happy with Fitbit for two years now.
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit ONE, not the wristbands. I wear it on my bra
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No idea about the jawbone although would be happy to read the responses. I use my fitbit every day, i find that it works very well in challenging me to do more. I have set a 10,000 step target and i always try to exceed it. For my part it is 75% motivational and 25% functional. I am sure that you will get a wealth of replies, you can also do a search because I am sure the questions have been asked before in various guises.

Good luck along the journey.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the Jawbone but I've had a fitbit for almost a month. I love the simplicity and how easily it lets you keep track of everything. Since it syncs with myfitnesspal instantly when it updates you're activity level is always reflected when you log into this website. It has definitely helped me become more active from day to day.

Aaron,
    Fitbit Flex User
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've never used Jawbone, but I have a fitbit. I absolutely love it. It's working far better for me than just logging exercises. With the job I have, I have some days where I'm very active and some days where I'm mostly sedentary. Add long-distance running schedule to that and it's difficult to figure out exactly how many calories I need every day to fuel my training and keep a slight deficit. Fitbit is perfect for me because it measures activity level each day (including how many steps taken during exercise, which for me is 95% running), automatically subtracts whatever deficit you are aiming for, and tells you how much to eat. It syncs with MFP so I can still log all my food here, but I don't have to log my exercise or worry about whether my activity level was high or low each day. I've lost about a half pound a week consistently since I started using fitbit, which is exactly my goal.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been using the fitbit flex since November 1, 2013. I love mine because I get a more realistic view of the calories burned in my day. I can't speak for the other but I feel mine was worth the investment. I have had issues with it but they send a complete new unit each time. If you have the $100 I would do it again in a heartbeat!
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i don't use either but just wanted to share that i got an email from cpsc today advising that some of the fitbits are being recalled. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Fitbit-Recalls-Force-Activity-Tracking-Wristband/

The Fitbit Force was recalled weeks ago and is no longer in circulation. Some users were having an allergic reaction to the metal in the wristband. Fitbit recalled all of the Force models that were sold and gave all of the customers a complete refund as they work to make sure that it will not cause allergic reactions when it is re-released.
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit one. I don't like the wrist trackers at all. I've found that I remember the fitbit best if I keep it somewhere near me and it's actually pretty accurate. I've heard the bands for your wrist tend to unclasp and fall off. The app with the fitbit is pretty easy to use too and I like that I can track my sleep with it. I'm not sure about jawbone either but I have done some research and it seems like a lot of people sway towards the fitbit. I have several friends who use it and love it. Also, it's got great battery life and charges pretty quickly. I usually only charge mine once a week or so. Battery life was a big deal to me. I like my one because it doesn't get in the way. I hook it on my pants (or my bra if I'm wearing a dress) and I don't have to worry about it getting in the way like a wristband sometimes does.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love my Jawbone. I got it at Christmas. It was having issues yesterday, but they will replace it for you as many times as you need for up to a full year and they send a new one in 2 days. Their customer service team is also really good I have found. The Jawbone tracks your sleep, BMR (which they put as resting burn) and it is accurate, it tracks workouts, and you can sync MFP to it. The only thing it doesn't do is track your heart rate. So when you track workouts, it uses MotionX instead so you have to pick later the difficulty of the workout and then it will give you the calorie burn. If you are not honest, then the calories will be inaccurate. Most things I have found fall under the easy category (even when I thought they were more difficult). I hope this helps. I have never had a fitbit so I cannot compare but the Jawbone for me is worth the money, I will be continuing to buy the jawbone.
  • Eliza4179
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One, and as everyone has stated above me, I really like it! The extra motivation drives me to do and burn more daily. I like the One compared to the Flex simply because it has the digital read out for me to see every time I check it. I wear it on my bra unless I am going to do a workout, then I switch it to my waist because of wearing a sports bra during work outs. It is great to have it sync right up with MFP and see the stats change. The jawbone does have some benefits as well from what I have read, but I have no personal experience with that device.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love my Jawbone. Its super sleek and light weight and easy to use.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have been using my jawbone up for a little over a year- if it wasn't for my bracelet I wouldn't be where I am today. If all I need to motivate me is a little bracelet then so be it. I've had people tell me it's ridiculous - I don't care - it works for me.

My bracelet broke and funny enough, I didn't walk on those days - the minute my bracelet was replaced - out I went! Jawbone's customer support is great as well.
  • mons2014
    mons2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone, I love it and am just a little obsessed. I find that it gave me the motivation I needed to get off the sofa and go for a walk or to the gym. I couldn't be more happy with it. I think both Jawbone and Fitbit tend to break, I have heard from both sides that they needed to send theirs back for replacements.
    I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with. The Jawbone plugs right into my iPhone and I don't need additional cables or plugs. I think the little fit bit needs a part to plug into your phone...not sure cause I have never had that one.
    Funny thing is I find my self looking at people's wrists now..... I'm on the look out for other Jawbone uses.
    :-)
  • jennybex
    jennybex Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just won a Jawbone in a contest our local hospital was putting on and have had it for almost a week. I have to say I am completely obsessed with tracking! I love it so far. I like that I get the buzz when I have been sedentary too long, which tends to happen at a desk job and I am constantly striving to hit my step goal. However, I have to remember to take it off when I go into meetings since then I am explaining why my wrist is buzzing. I love that it syncs with MFP and gives an accurate exercise cal burn. For example, went for a 3 mile walk yesterday at lunch and it only gave me 211 calories extra to eat. For a walk that distance I felt that was pretty accurate. It's also not an ugly bracelet, it goes with pretty much everything.
  • DianeLLand
    DianeLLand Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have used the fitbit for over 4 years now I have used everyone of them I now wear the force even thou it is being recalled but it does not iterate me but i guess I am one of the lucky ones but then again I wipe it down every night with a little alcohol that is on a cotton ball I love the way it works with mfp and it tells me when I hit my goal shows my calorie burn for the day everything when they come out with the next one I will more than likely get it also