Having a hard time to reach my suggested protein intake

Options
There. Everything in the subject.

I'm having a hard time to reach the suggested protein intake by the site without going over my calorie goal...

Any suggestions? I'm thinking about replacing my afternoon snack (almonds, 0.5 oz., 80 calories, 3 g protein) by a shake (15 g protein but 254 calories and too expensive)

P.S.: Keep in mind that I can't have any dairy products.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian?

How about grilled chicken? A few grilled chicken strips with those almonds would be super yummy.

My morning snack today was grilled chicken, hummus, and veggies - 176 cal, 7g fat, 8g carbs, 20g protein.

ETA: my breakfast consists of egg whites, turkey sausage, brown rice, small bit of cheese. Sometimes oatmeal. But I usually have either eggs or egg whites for breakfast pretty much every day.
  • patlebrun1
    patlebrun1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian.
  • amtatusko
    amtatusko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Salmon. If you like fish that is a good start. Low in calories, loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids. Use quinoa for a grain since that is packed with protein. Broccoli and kale are really good green vegetables to increase protein. A can of tuna here and there can't hurt but don't go overboard. Also, lentil soup. Great recipes for it and so easy to make!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Well, the no dairy sucks!!! That is where I get a lot of my protein. Cheese is very protein dense. One 50 calorie mozzarella stick has 7gm of Protien. The same 49 calorie Turkey stick only has 4 grams of Protein.

One of the ways to have a quick protein wind up is a good protein powder and since you can't mix with Greek yogurt or milk you can mix with water. It won't be as tasty but it is a quick way to get an extra 25 to 60g of protein depending on what brand of powder you buy.
  • JBlock4
    JBlock4 Posts: 1
    Options
    There are plenty of veggies packed with protein that you can put in your smoothie... add some chia seeds for extra protein:)
  • harryw73002
    Options
    Eeeek!! Sounds like your shake is way too high in calories. There are soy and egg powder proteins that when mixed with water don't taste bad. About 120 calories and 20 g protein in those. Add some fruit too if you like. If you like hard boiled eggs that's 7g protein at 70 calories each if I remember right. Good luck.
  • patlebrun1
    Options
    Well, it's not only a ''shake'', it's a meal-replacement shake, hence the high calories, which are not so high considering I could eat more than that in the morning without the benefits (protein, vitamins, etc...). It saves me a lot of time in the morning as well.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    A list of good protein sources including vegetarian and vegan:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    "Without going over my calorie goal" -- That means you are eating too many carbs or fat. Your calories and macros are set up as percentages so, if you focus on filling the protein above the others, you won't go over your goals. Your diary's not open so I'm not sure what your settings are or where you are going over, but that's the only explanation.

Shift away from the one you are over in (likely carbs, that's always my problem) and eat more protein instead, not in addition to. Meat, fish, poultry, eggs are all good and complete sources of protein. I had to cut out a lot of my carbs to get there but I've managed to start hitting my protein macro.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Just get some whey (or whatever) protein and not a meal replacement. I use Dymatize Iso 100, it has 106 calories a scoop and is pretty good, even mixed with water. Or replace your almonds with something less caloric. The grilled chicken is a good idea, hummus and veggies, scrambled egg whites with some guacamole are good, too.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Egg whites
    Lean steak
    Lean pork
    Tilapia, salmon, canned tuna, any kind of fish really

All have helped me get my protein up over 100g per day (that's my base goal).
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Muscle Pharm Protein gel Packs 22g. Or

"Oh Yeah" Protein Shakes they have 32g protein and Lactose Free
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Eat a few shrimp while you're waiting for dinner to cook!
  • serindipte
    Options
    If you need to eat more protein, then eat more protein. I see these posts everyday and I don't understand why this is a question. You have protein, carbs, and fat. You need all three. When you are figuring out what to eat, always consider, ahead of time, how those macros will be affected. You don't need to go over your cals to hit your protein goal. You need to eat less carbs and fat.

Protein is mostly meat. So, tuna, beef, chicken, fish. Every meal, you need the main portion to be protein, and carbs and fat sources are just sidelines. It's not how we are used to eating, and it's impossible to eat properly if you eat out because it's mostly carbs because carbs are cheap. The American diet is really backwards. So, it takes some time to learn to make protein the hero of your meal, and the rest is just there for garnish, really.

This! One of the things I've had to adjust my thinking on is that carbs are *not* king. I can even have a meal that has no carb-side. No rice, potato, pasta, corn... but this is not how I was raised to eat. The idea of having fish and shrimp in one meal? Unheard of until recently. I'm not going low-carb or avoiding them but I am taking my focus away from them and putting it on protein more than I ever even knew I should before.

Eat more protein :) Simple enough if you put it first.
  • patlebrun1
    Options
    My diary should now be open, I haven't logged anything last week because I was away from home, but before that, the rest has been pretty accurate I think.
  • serindipte
    Options
    My diary should now be open, I haven't logged anything last week because I was away from home, but before that, the rest has been pretty accurate I think.

It isn't open.
  • patlebrun1
    Options

It isn't open.

.....it should be ...now.... :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're using accurate diary entries. Today you have entries for 2oz of ham and 2 slices of mortadella that each have 0g of protein.
  • serindipte
    Options
    I'm assuming this: Usana Nutrimeal - Wild Strawberry -- Is a shake of some sort?

I have Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder and a single scoop is twice what your three scoops of that one are and for far less calories.

ETA: I second what was said above. You have entries that are obvious protein but aren't showing any in that column.