Help with ways to fix fish

Options
Mygsds
Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
Hello, we love fish and looking for different ideas. I am looking for all kinds of ways of preparation. What is your favorite? Thanks in advance..

Replies

• rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like to rub a firm white fish with a little taco type seasoning and grill it. Them I serve it with tortillas and a vinegar based coleslaw. For a side I like to have an orange. It is filling and light.
  • toomanireasons
    Options
    I learned this from Bobby Flay with Tilapia , I use a glass corning ware baking dish with a glass lid. Put 1 pat or 1 TBSP of butter in the dish, then lay the filets I usually do 3 or 4 pieces of fish, then sprinkle fish with the zest of a fresh lime, ( I use as much zest as I can get ) Kosher salt, cracked black pepper and then squeeze all the juice from that lime over the fish, Cover with the glass lid and bake at 375 until the fish is flakey. This is dreamy tasting !
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use fish as a convenience meal. I buy the kind that is frozen a bag and individually wrapped. I put it right into the pan frozen solid, drizzle a little olive oil, and then sprinkle with something like chef Paul's, blackening seasoning. Then I cover tightly with foil and cook for the time suggested. (Usually from 15 to 25 mins.. Whatever the package says). I use a grilling meat thermometer (the kind you leave in with the temp setting, and take it out when it beeps. I just put it in about halfway through cooking so that the meat isn't frozen.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love fish, too and have a hard time getting away from broiling with a little olive oil & paprika sprinkled on it. I made a chile gremolata with 1 chopped Serrano pepper, 1 grated garlic clove, 1/4 chopped cilantro, 1/4 chopped parsley, 1 Tbs lemon zest & 1 Tbs olive oil (from BonAppetite mag) mixed together, broiled the fish and topped the fish with a squeeze of lemon and the gremolata.
    Great, especially if you like hot & spicy.
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Since i dont have a stove at the moment, my mom taught me how to cook fish on the skillet. Talk about amazing!!!!

Thaw out my fish first, rub both sides lightly with lemon juice to neutralize the fishy smell then i season with Old Bays Seasoning, Sea Salt/Pepper and toss some herbs on it (basil, parsley, etc)

Put the stove to medium heat, hover your hand over your skillet to scale heat and then place the filets on the skillet. Leave there for about 1 - 2 minutes or until you see color, then flip and cover.

Flip only once! Watch the color of your fish for completeness. Remove from heat leave for a minute so the inner heat continues cooking it then Bon Apetite!

Recently stole a idea from Hardee's Cod Fish Sandwich and now i make Homemade Tartar sauce and make my own Fish Sandwich :-)

- James
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the oven with lemon juice, rosemary, thyme, cracked black pepper and a little sea salt... but I'm mostly tagging here to keep the thread for ideas. :)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    blackened is my absolute favorite
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    My husband and i enjoy tilapia, baked in the oven, with a small drizzle of olive oil, italian spices, pepper and feta cheese--- Doesn't take long!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I like to cook fish pan fried with a bit of seasoned flour, in a lemon/butter/caper sauce! Yummmm, I'm actually having that for dinner.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also like to poach salmon and refrigerate it. Make up some dips or hummus and eat it when you need a snack.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I also like to poach salmon and refrigerate it. Make up some dips or hummus and eat it when you need a snack.

Yum. My family likes it mixed with plain yogurt, dill, and cream cheese and used as a spread for wraps with alfalfa. I usually use canned, but I'll bet poached tastes better.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We do this Ina Garten method almost exclusively. Works well with more than just salmon: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/BAREFOOT-CONTESSAS-HERB-ROASTED-SALMON-50136962
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I like this fish recipe a lot! My fiance (who doesn't typically like fish) even said it was tolerable for him ;)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chili_rubbed_tilapia_with_asparagus_lemon.html
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just bake or grill and add lemon pepper seasoning. A fresh tossed salad or steamed broccoli on the side.
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually broil fish (tilapia, salmon, mahi, haddock, cod, swai, etc.) for 6 minutes on high right under the flame. I love peppery rubs, taco seasoning, onion soup mix, Old Bay, chili powder... Quick, easy, tasty, healthy!
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    dip in egg whites, then panko breadcrumbs and bake.

my favorite is halibut in italian style panko, delicious
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on the fish. Salmon, steelhead trout, tuna or swordfish - usually either grilled or pan seared, but occasionally I bake or poach salmon.

Smaller white fish like orange roughy, tilapia, flounder - Pan seared if thawed, but usually I just take these straight from the freezer, put on a baking sheet with a rack (so the fish is not touching the pan), drizzle with olive oil and season with dried herbs and bake.

Catfish is blackened and pan seared.

If I'm using the fish for sandwiches or tacos I always pan sear.
  • herangel3
    herangel3 Posts: 32
    Options
    I like to pan fry in a little olive oil and sprinkle with some Emeril Lagase's seasoning; just before I remove it from the pan I splash a little white wine and then squeeze a little lemon juice on it. Yum!
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There is a slaw recipe I found which is cabbage, apple, optional carrots, mayo, vinegar, salt pepper sugar and caraway seeds. I start with that, then I toss a firm white fish like grouper in seasoned flour, and pan fry it. Fish and slaw go on your favorite bread type thingy and you've got a delicious fish slaw wich...

Also I like to use a mix of butter and OO (both as sparingly as possible) in the pan, gives the fish a nice butteryness but the OO makes sure your butter doesn't burn....