sugar is the devil!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• kittyswing
    kittyswing Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation!!

I had once lost 70 pounds. Then it all slowly crept back on, because of exactly what you said - I LOVED sugar, and if I tried to limit that, then I made up for it in pastas. Chocolate and fettucine put that weight back on.

BUT.

I've noticed that keeping baby carrots in my desk at work and munching throughout the day keeps my sugar cravings in check. And if, at the end of the day, I still find myself aching for pasta or chocolate, I'll have a baked potato for supper.

I can't cut out sugars. I don't think I should. That isn't a realistic lifestyle for me. I'd resent my whole fitness journey. But I can put my favorite treats in moderation, and use healthy foods that have healthy sugar content instead.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    thanks for the comments guys, sorry for the slow reply...

the thing is with me is self control. i have to be really strict. if i have a tiny bit of chocolate i dont stop haha.

baby steps i guess :)

so part of this process is taking responsibility and identifying what's going on

1.) identify the problem
    2.) don't blame it on something else.
    3.) work on the problem (self discipline)

the issue isn't the sugar- it's the self control- which by the way is a skill you can develop. it's also a finite thing- meaning you get a daily 'allowance'. if you say 'no' all day and you come home- you are going to have a hard time saying no.

So either plan for that (budget a bite of something into your day) and/or develop your 'allowance' of self discipline.

start with something small and work up to bigger things- this can take several months so don't worry to much about not getting it right away.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating high fiber carbs can help ease sugar cravings for me. I gave up sugar* entirely for a while but now I just try to sweets with fiber or protein. Honey roast peanuts, cocoa roast almonds, peanut butter w/ a little maple syrup on oats or wholemeal bread.

After giving it up entirely for a period of time (which was admittedly tough) I can eat it without wanting to eat it ALL. I still occasionally have a candy bar or piece of cake. But I still don't keep these things stocked in my house.

* I'm sure there are already a bunch of posts equating sugars naturally found in produce to sugar, but I think we all know what you meant. That white or brown crystalized processed stuff may not be the devil, but it's a pretty high ranking demon of some sort.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not evil.
    Carbs are not evil.
    No food, eaten in moderation, is evil.

Even eating something NOT in moderation doesn't make it evil. Food is food and has no moral anything attached to it.
    Remind yourself that you are in control of picking up food and putting it in your mouth. Willpower/self control is like a muscle in that it gets stronger the more you use it.
  • adriennewx
    adriennewx Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's true that we shouldn't villanize a particular food group, but let's face it - sugar leads to troubles. I don't just mean SUGAR, but everything we might eat that DOES turn into sugar. And if we're on this forum and if we're logging into MFP we might be trying to lose weight. And let's face it, if we limit our sugar our bodies just might start burning our excess fat as energy.

End of lecture.

:)

bloop!

haha this is what i think? i actually think i am addicted to sugar.

using something else as a substitute (such as the carrot idea) will just be no use for me, i know im eating a carrot and not chocolate.

looks like my willpower and self control is what needs to be worked on!!
  • healthiereveryday13
    Options
    People actually need about 9 teaspoons of sugar per day. The problem is that the average American consumes about 21 teaspoons. While fruits and veggies help provide essential vitamins and sugar your body needs without spiking your insulin level, processed sugar offers no nutritional benefits and more easily leads to insulin spikes and hormonal imbalances because it is easier to eat more of it. Additionally the artificially sweet processed foods we eat leave us just wanting more sugar.

I had a small sweet after lunch and a bowl of ice cream almost every night for a decade. I had regular sugar cravings, acne, problems sleeping, and energy peaks and plummets. I recently cut all processed foods out of my diet (including refined sugar and artificial sweeteners) and was astounded to find that my cravings for sweets all but disappeared (likely due to more consistent insulin levels). Don't get me wrong, from time to time I still intellectually want a sweet because they are tasty but it is much easier to move on from the thought and maybe grab a bowl of frozen cherries or blueberries with a few dashes of cinnamon instead (yum!). I do from time to time have a treat (note not a cheat day) when there is a food that is culturally or emotionally significant (i.e. My mom came to visit and baked me my favorite birthday cake). This is every month or so though, not everyday. Again, I found something small everyday caused more cravings than nothing at all. Before I started cutting out processed food my husband and I had a kitchen clean out day. Not having foods I know I shouldn't eat in the house makes overcoming temptation so much easier.

A book I strongly recommend you read (I get nothing from the authors for this endorsement) is 'It Starts with Food.' It does a fantastic job of talking about total nutritional health and how sugar and the other things you eat impact your body in ways you never imagined. It explains the science behind it but breaks it down so the average person can understand it. It poses the question I now ask myself regularly, "Is this food going to make me healthier?" If it is not, don't eat it. Here is a link to the book on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/It-Starts-Food-Discover-Unexpected/dp/1936608898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396964552&sr=8-1&keywords=the+whole+30

Best of luck on your journey to healthy eating and a healthy life!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    ECTUS DOMINUS!!!

I bet Damien LOVED sugar.

For those claiming to be addicted to sugar: Try smoking crack for a few months and try to stop. Then come back here and tell us that you're addicted to sugar.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! Thats why I find these, low carb, low fat, no dairy, no gluten, fad type diets to be a waste. Sure they work, but as soon as you start eating it again, you gain it all back. Go with what MFP says to eat, and never go below 1200 calories. Stick to your macros, and just enjoy life! If you restrict yourself of something, you are more likely to binge on it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For those claiming to be addicted to sugar: Try smoking crack for a few months and try to stop. Then come back here and tell us that you're addicted to sugar.

I could easily smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol daily for a few months without becoming addicted, so I guess no one could be addicted to those either, huh?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    And here I thought Lucifer was the devil. whodathunkit.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know the kind of responses your post got without really looking. Everything in moderation, etc. Probably jokes about what a crock it is to claim to be addicted to sugar. However, I get where you're coming from. I am recovering from an ED, and in doing so I'm constantly learning what my triggers are. I know there are certain things that I'm just better off avoiding all together at this point. Many sugary things are included in this list. I just don't know how to control myself yet... I can't confidently eat one cookie and know that it's not going to send me down a bad path for the whole day. I try to find healthy alternatives that are still sweet and treat-like. I just started buying Quest bars and really like the Cookies & Creme variety. Peanut butter with fruit is another tasty option that is sweet but has nutrtional value. I also drink protein shakes somewhat frequently. I make them with half a banana and unsweetened almond milk. The taste and texture remind me of a milkshake while still helping me meet my goals for the day and not making me feel the insane amount of guilt the real deal would leave me with.

I find that certain times of the month I am more prone to craving sweet treats and it's REALLY hard to control at times. I'm not sure if this is at all helpful, because I haven't mastered this whole thing yet myself. But I guess my main piece of advice is to not attempt to cut it all together as that can be a recipe for disaster - but try to find healthier alternatives to your sugar cravings.

I don't know how serious you are about feeling like you are addicted to sugar, but when you have a disordered mind, it can very much feel like an addiction. Maybe not on a drug-like level, but still overwhelming at times.
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    I know people might not think so, but I do feel like sugar is addicting. It's hard to give it up and I wouldn't recommend eliminating it altogether. There are lots of healthier ways to get something sweet. I always try to keep some fruit in the house. Peanut butter is another good option.