question on calories burned

Options
clyn27
clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
I do a lot of yoga, especially on the days my 4 year old son, 18 months old daughter, and 5 month old puppy have just worn me out lol. Its less intense and a bit more relaxing than the other work outs I do. I also do the 30 day shred and the 6 week ab work out. It doesn't have any of those things listed in the cardio section so how do I log calories burned from it and how do I know what I have burned with out buying a fancy monitor? All the work outs I do I get from you tube. I haven't even purchased an actual video yet because I just cant afford it. As it is eating healthy isn't the cheapest thing in the whole world. I am new to the sit so I am still learning. Help Please!!!!!

Replies

• RachelFrost1
    RachelFrost1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I log all the Jillian Michaels DVDs as circuit training, general. I don't have a heart rate monitor either.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of yoga, especially on the days my 4 year old son, 18 months old daughter, and 5 month old puppy have just worn me out lol. Its less intense and a bit more relaxing than the other work outs I do. I also do the 30 day shred and the 6 week ab work out. It doesn't have any of those things listed in the cardio section so how do I log calories burned from it and how do I know what I have burned with out buying a fancy monitor? All the work outs I do I get from you tube. I haven't even purchased an actual video yet because I just cant afford it. As it is eating healthy isn't the cheapest thing in the whole world. I am new to the sit so I am still learning. Help Please!!!!!

Use this as a guide......

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/jillian-michaels-30-day-shred-7963

Per the link above.......30 DS is high impact circuit training (combo of cardio + strength) ....27 minutes

MFP uses general categories.....along with general estimates (tends to be generous)
  • clyn27
    Options
    thank you. I guess I could just google the yoga
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My HRM was $80 and it works really well. You mentioned you can't afford that and I completely understand, I just wanted to throw that out there in case you were under the impression that they are higher priced than that.

Anyway, I used my HRM for a Hot Yoga class once and it said that I burned 248 calories in an hour long class. Obviously these numbers are different for everyone but that was my experience.

You can also youtube P90x's yoga and there's a pretty fast-paced one that would burn around that much I believe. I think Hot Yoga and intense sessions like P90x's are the only types that really get my heart going enough to say I've burned significant calories.
  • clyn27
    Options
    I know yoga doesn't burn a whole lot but on the days I'm just too lazy or like yesterday and today I have a nasty head cold working I figure its better than doing nothing at all. I may look into a cheap one some where. I should probably have one any since I have a bit of a heart issue. I have something call tachacardia not sure on spelling. They cant put me on meds for it tho because its not an all the time thing. I just have to be careful and keep an eye on it when I do intense cardio. I'm not allowed to do any sort of cardio while I am pregnant because the doc does not like how high it gets some times. It is a good investment that I do eventually want to buy. In the mean time tho thanks for the advice on how to input it.