Life without TV?

Options

Replies

• OliveRiver
    OliveRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We have a TV, but it's only used to watch movies on the laptop, which happens about once a month.

Books are more fun.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Haven't had television for over a year.

One of the best investments I didn't make!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    One word: Football.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I need one for sports and movies.
    ^^^this^^^
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i haven't watched TV (regularly) in a couple of years and don't now own one. i have books that i want to read, instruments to practice, art projects to do, and, oh yeah, daily exercise. i honestly don't have time for TV.

i have a hard time interfacing with my friends who want to go watch movies all damn the time. turn off my brain (and sit still) for 2 hours? yeah, maybe twice a month. i need my brain on: i'm using it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand that too much television can be a bad thing. For example, I have to work at keeping my reality tv show addiction in check. However, I find it a bit obnoxious when people act superior and boast about not having owned a tv for the past 10 years. I mean, come on, it is freaking 2014. There is nothing wrong with loving television. This is not directed at the OP or anyone in this thread but more at certain people whom I know irl. I do agree that relying on the internet for the programs that you do enjoy is certainly a smart thing to do if you want to save money.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    My TVs are all on Nick or Disney (8 year old daughter) and the only time it varies from that is when my BF is in town.

My daughter and I do watch movies together on DVDs or Netflix but I don't watch any television unless I'm with my BF and he's watching TV.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think not. Of course, I don't know you so I can't really say! :-)

When I got a divorce, I was fine with letting my ex keep the gigantic flat screen. I moved into a furnished apartment with a smallish TV and free cable and I turned it on ONCE in several months. Then I moved to a new place with my mom's hand me down big old TV for about a year, but I used it only for watching DVDs. Now my husband and I have the nice big flat screen TV from his late parents and we use it for DVDs and he'll occasionally play a video game. That is seriously it. We don't have cable, satellite, netflix, or anything like that...and we don't even get local channels. We do not miss it at all!

I'd say our TV is turned on 1-2 times per week, and sometimes not at all for up to a month. Even with the DVDs, we could just as easily watch those on our laptops...having the larger screen is nice...just not a necessity.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    ^ not necessarily true, there's a lot of informative shows on discovery or history (before they got crazy w/ the alien theories)

(in response to tv makes ppl stupid)

LOVE the discovery and history channels! I spend a great deal of my Sundays watching these documentaries, and I learn so much.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Life without TV.. Never.. Sports.. Movies.. Awesome shows... helps for 7 months of the year when its below 0 degrees and snowing.. and you hate winter sports..
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    Life without TV.. Never.. Sports.. Movies.. Awesome shows... helps for 7 months of the year when its below 0 degrees and snowing.. and you hate winter sports..

Haha, all of this! :drinker:
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What ^^He^^ said! Summer time I'm barely indoors, but winter, it's kind of a necessity (for me). I don't have cable or satallite, but I do like my Hulu and movies.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    One word: Football.

This^^^
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    My TV is shot. Should I get a new one? I'm thinkin' no. .

Sorry, I can't do without my TV. When I'm home it's on. I live in a rural area and when I first moved out here my DTV went out a lot. When the DTV goes out so does the internet even though they're not connected. I thought about selling the house because of it. Glad I didn't. The kinks were worked out and we've had no problems for a long time.

I watch Netflix when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical at the gym (yeah, I'm one of those!) :embarassed:

2i4wBLd.jpg
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched TV in years, and my life is better for it. TV makes people stupid.

Ever watched a documentary? Or the news?

I know riding a bike has never made anyone any smarter..
    Wow, someone is a TV addict. Really, the news? Who still gets their news from the TV? Grossly uninformed people, that's who.

I'll say it again: TV makes people stupid.