Literally Allergic to exercise ....

Options
Four years ago I randomly began developing BAD hives and BAD asthma when I was doing any sort of exercise that made me sweat. I had to carry an Epi Pen with me to the gym and it was a scary experience so I stopped working out. Every time I try to go back to the gym or go for a run I am still breaking out. It sucks. Since then I have gained about 20 lbs and would love to shed the weight within a few months but I don't believe this is achievable without cardio. Are there any tips for me? I am 5'9" and about 180 lbs currently ..

Replies

• ArtsyBunny
    ArtsyBunny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Could it be something at that gym specifically that you are allergic to? Have you tried exercising in other places? Have you talked to your doctor about getting an inhaler? Are you allergic to sweating?

I went through something similar as a kid except instead of the gym, I was allergic to my school. I had to get allergy shots every so often and there was talk about putting me on an inhaler. Once I was pulled out of that school my symptoms cleared up.

Technically all you need is a reasonable calorie deficit to lose weight. So please don't feel stuck just because you can't go to a gym. I used to think that but now I know that's just not true. :smile: I'm sorry you have to go through this! Exercising is hard enough without added issues.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Diet and strength training. Weight loss comes from eating appropriately for your goals. I'm 5'9" and I got down to 18% body fat with almost no cardio.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Diet and strength training. Weight loss comes from eating appropriately for your goals. I'm 5'9" and I got down to 18% body fat with almost no cardio.

This...I have dropped almost 9% BF with no cardio...

weights and eating at a reasonable deficet.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Another vote for diet and strength training. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, although the benefits are undeniable. One of the main reasons I started doing weightlifting is because I didn't get as sweaty as I did doing cardio. :laugh: I hate getting sweaty.
  • ellenmg
    ellenmg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think some more research is in store, or at least we might need more information.
    What is it you are allergic too? Or giving you hives? Could be what you are wearing maybe?
    I would suggest - would even a slow-ish walk outside work for you?
    Otherwise if cardio is out of the question, just lower your calorie goals.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for food allergies? I test negative on the IgE tests, but positive for about 20 foods in the IgG tests. When I gave up wheat/gluten 2 years ago I lost my problem with exercise-induced asthma. I haven't been able run more than 90 seconds since I was in Middle School and suddenly I am able to go for much longer and its never asthma that stops me anymore. Maybe its not exercise you are allergic to but to a food and its symptoms show up when your sweat comes into contact with your skin and in your breathing? I don't doubt your experience, just suggesting a different root cause.

And do strength training. It will take longer than cardio but the results once you shed the layer of fat over the muscles are much better. Lifting doesnt require you to sweat excessively.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Another vote for diet and strength training. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, although the benefits are undeniable. One of the main reasons I started doing weightlifting is because I didn't get as sweaty as I did doing cardio. :laugh: I hate getting sweaty.
    This!

Also, look into the lotions, hair products, etc you use. Have you changed those recently? That could be what is actually bothering you.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Four years ago I randomly began developing BAD hives and BAD asthma when I was doing any sort of exercise that made me sweat. I had to carry an Epi Pen with me to the gym and it was a scary experience so I stopped working out. Every time I try to go back to the gym or go for a run I am still breaking out. It sucks. Since then I have gained about 20 lbs and would love to shed the weight within a few months but I don't believe this is achievable without cardio. Are there any tips for me? I am 5'9" and about 180 lbs currently ..

Diet and strength training as the others have said and maybe walking. Also - have you spoken to your doctor to see if you can find the trigger for this? I suffer from a lot of allergies. I find that certain shower gels and/or lotions, perfumes PLUS sweating and exertion can cause hives (at least for me). Also if I forget to take my zyrtec that day and work out I get all hivey. Zyrtec works wonders for me, that and symbicort for the asthma. No problems what so ever if I take both before a workout.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm weird and I'm allergic to my own sweat. Something about the salt I produce when I sweat...idk found out in high school. I dont get hives thank god, but I sneeze like a MF.

I like cardio so I just go really hard for less amount or I will go longer at a lower speed (I do elliptical)

Yours seems more serious than sneezing so you should take it easy....

LIFT :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

This!

Also, look into the lotions, hair products, etc you use. Have you changed those recently? That could be what is actually bothering you.

Lotions, shower gels, soaps, perfumes, deodorants,powders and hair products definitely could be the culprit!
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I suffered with terrible hives for 2-3 years - at best I had large red itchy ones on my legs; at worst I looked like I'd been beaten up. Same for me, it would flare up after exercise, stress, late nights and too much alcohol.
    Anyway, I went to see an immunologist who sorted it through medication. I am now hive-free and off medication and off anti-histamines.
    Good luck.
  • nickelp22
    nickelp22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old daughter has mild asthma and eczema and allergies (she and I both carry epi pens) she is also very fair skinned. Anyway when ever she get warm, she gets hives we have been through years of allergy testing. The benefits for her exercising and at this age it is really just being a kid, swimming. bike riding, running around, and she dances out weights the hives. The cardio work out also is good to increase her lung capacity to combat the asthma. After some trial and error we found she can get a daily dose (1/2 the full does for a child her age and weight) of Zyrtec and she will not get the hives.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

A+
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Note: I didn't read any other responses (sorry).

I had this exact problem 2 years ago. I went to an allergist and had food/environmental allergy testing done. I was eventually diagnosed with Dermatographism (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatographic_urticaria) and prescribed hydroxyzine to take as a preventative before exercising.

Just a thought, maybe you should see a doctor. 1/2 a dose of the hydroxyzine is enough to prevent a reaction while exercising and not knock me out (it's an antihistamine similar to benadryl; in fact it was called "benadryl on steroids" by my prescribing doctor).
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

So, you're bedridden? Walking from the car into your home is exercise. Carrying loads of laundry is exercise. There must be something at the gym that you respond badly to. Perhaps using a DVD at home would be safer for you? Or walk instead of run?

If you have a latex allergy, that may be part of the problem because much of the equipment at the gym (mats, machine coverings, etc.) can be made with latex. When the equipment is used the latex proteins are released into the air. If you are sensitive, this can cause the symptoms you've described.
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you.
    Have you seen a Dr.? This sounds scary and you should see a Dr. about this. You might be able to have an RX or something natural that will help you.
    Don't forget that things like walking, cleaning, light cardio, and stuff can be done, maybe with less intensity, and for a bit longer than usual, but they will get your results as well. You will have to be very diligent with your food intake and drink plenty of water. But keep your body in motion, see a Dr. and then move on. You will find a solution, you will achieve your results, it just might take longer. You can do this.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    See your physician. This is a true medical condition but it is treatable, usually with antihistamines and often with an inhaler before exercise. With treatment you may be able to exercise.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    It maybe be sweat problems-so try swimming laps.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Err Speak to a Doctor. This could be symptomatic of something else
  • cwannabee
    cwannabee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Met a gal at a run on Saturday who has the same issue. The way she manages it is she 1) takes and antihistimine before running and 2) wears a heartrate monitor. As long as she keeps her heartrate below a certain level she doesn't sweat too much and doesn't break out. You might look into that with your Dr.