Can someone explain Oil Pulling?

Options

Replies

• a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am doing it, not daily though, using unrefined virgin sesame oil.
    I read that it helps with gum disease, so I tried and my gums do look way better and bleed way less.
    In the beginning I could do only one minute before I had to spit it out. I am up to 20 minutes now.

For me: it works ... other might boohoo it as nonsense ... to each his own

I bet not brushing your teeth as roughly and flossing daily would have the same effect.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it until 3 days ago. Now it's ALL I'm hearing about.

Sounds like the most ridiculous thing in the world.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    While the science behind this 'fad' may be sketchy at best I thought I'd give it a try. My teeth are a little whiter my gums a little pinker and I have not woken up once with leg cramps since I gave this a go.(It was a nightly occurance and nothing else I tried helped at all) Say what you will but if it helps why not. I use coconut oil and 20 minutes goes by fairly quickly. If only for the oral health benefits I will keep this up until the jar of coconut oil is gone. And then we will see....
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I read that it helps with gum disease, so I tried and my gums do look way better and bleed way less.
    In the beginning I could do only one minute before I had to spit it out. I am up to 20 minutes now.

How do you log the calories!?

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    bump to read for later.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There are many pros and no real cons. I do it sometimes, to time consuming to do it all the time.
    It causes pneumonia due to inhaling small amounts of the oil. I'd say that's a pretty big con.
  • txfatburn
    txfatburn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My family does oil pulling daily with organic coconut oil. The kiddos do about 30 seconds and I do a minute. We swish the oil around in your mouth, spit in trash can. We've noticed a difference in our oral health and so has our dentist. Once a week I add a drop of Thieves oil for added effect.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    This whole oil fad, along with all the other oil crap will go away just like the others. There are actual alternatives that work.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I am concerned about your definition of "works."

Please, do not be concerned ... I do it, I had some success in that my gums looks healthier and do not bleed anymore ... that is all there is ...
  • Yetta729
    Options

I bet not brushing your teeth as roughly and flossing daily would have the same effect.

well, I am not a rough brusher and I do floss daily as well ...
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Swishing that stuff in your mouth sounds like LOADS of fun.

Anyway..........

I have a wild idea - rinse with mouthwash daily. Seems to kill those silly germs and eliminates plaque.

Who would have thought?

876869.jpg
  • Yetta729
    Options

How do you log the calories!?

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

First: love your credentials ... genius :wink:

Second: I cheat and do not log the spit-out-calories and I am probably gonna catch hell for that as well
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    too late for me... I don't have my own teefers. :wink:
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It all sounds like woo to me. If it was as magical and amazing as everyone claims, everyone would probably be doing it.
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've seen it all over my fb. I have no idea if it works....unless someone show's me scientific tests that were done on the "discarded" oil, I find it hard to believe that it removes "toxins". Maybe it helps with oral health but so does brushing and flossing and you don't have to swish gross thick oil for 20 minutes!

To each their own though.....
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I've done it with coconut oil. Not too bad but, honestly can't say I've noticed a difference.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Anything where you have to spit it out instead of swallowing can't be any good.

Do you swallow tooth paste and mouth wash?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Swishing that stuff in your mouth sounds like LOADS of fun.

Anyway..........

I have a wild idea - rinse with mouthwash daily. Seems to kill those silly germs and eliminates plaque.

Who would have thought?

876869.jpg

But that wouldn't cure cancer. :flowerforyou:
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had read about it and was hoping with fingers crossed that I'd find some legit info that it's helpful for people with sinus problems (one article claimed it helps). Didn't find enough good info. Will stick to my neti pot.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Anything where you have to spit it out instead of swallowing can't be any good.

Do you swallow tooth paste and mouth wash?

Touche, however I also don't swish it around for 20 minutes either. :tongue: