What is your Favorite Running App?

Options
I am thinking abut making a switch from Nike+ to a new running app. I've been looking at Runtastic and MapMyRun. I am looking for an app that can actually track my heart rate while I run. Any thoughts? Share your your favorite app and why?

Thx!

Replies

• sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have used Runkeeper for running, and many other activites for about 3 years. It is very accurate, the GPS is good and it has the capability of syncing with a heart rate monitor and with MFP. Easy to use, free, and available across all platforms, too.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper is good ....

I use that to GPS track my route and confirm distance .... but I also wear a garmin watch to do the same.

As for HRM ... a separate Polar watch for that with chest strap. I then adjust what Runkeeper says I've burned (usually it overestimates by a lot) ... and enter what the Polar / HRM says....
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love Zombies, Run! It takes your playlist on your phone, intersperses a zombie apocalypse between tracks, and you can sync it online. It shows your route, MPH, and estimated calories burned. You "collect" items on your walk/run and use them to build up your zombie-proof base with the game.

Very fun and makes your walk/run time speed by! If it has a HR tracker, I'm unaware, but I wear my own HRM when I use it. Highly recommended!
  • medavidcook
    medavidcook Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic, i like the fact that i can create a route on the computer and it auto syncs with the phone so i know the way i need to go, dont think u can do this on runkeeper. You can also attach bluetooth enabled HRM to it aswell, it also syncs to MFP direct from app and site.
  • vidman81
    vidman81 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use MapMyRide (essentially the same as MapMyRun) - I've read that it can hook into a bluetooth heart rate monitor, although I've never used it like that. My heart monitor is an inexpensive standalone Timex one. I use MapMyRide for both runs and bike rides. The downside - It does not provide turn-by-turn directions... their support people say it's something about a license from google for their maps. The upside - mapping routes on it is great, a bunch of my friends are on it, and it integrates with the MFP diary no problem.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    MiCoach - free training plans, GPS tracking, access to your running tracks (if using a smartphone), plus performance stats - it has got me ready for a half marathon and I love love love it.
  • antt109
    antt109 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Can it track Treadmill runs as well like Nike+?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I use endomondo because it's the only mainstream android app that supports Ant+ sensors - wish strava would add functionality (or maybe not, actually, as it can get dangerous :) ).
  • antt109
    Options
    Great Info everyone! I know Nike+ can track treadmill runs/walks as well. Can any of these apps do the same? Any of these apps provide interval training?
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am LOVING Charity Miles. You select a charity, choose run, walk, bike etc. They have sponsors who donate ten cents a mile (bike) or 25 cents a mile (run/walk) to the charity you selected.

You can even use it on your elliptical or treadmill-- it uses the accelerometer to estimate distance walked--though it tends to be very generous with that I have noticed.

It's a good one to use in conjunction with CardioTrainer or something similar because you can raise money for your typical workout.

My grandma died after battling Alzheimer’s Disease for 12
    years so it motivates me on a personal level.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Endomondo
  • Lorelyrra
    Lorelyrra Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun is my favorite. I like the GPS part, that keeps track of terrain changes and adjusts calorie burn accordingly. Plus it syncs up to MFP
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    i use Runkeeper and I love it, however, it is not really great for inside activities, such as treadmill. It functions primarily on GPS. You can go in after the fact and enter your indoor activities just to track for your own purposes. For outside running, though, I love it.
  • antt109
    Options
    What an Awesome Idea for an app?!?! Thank you so much for sharing.
  • antt109
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback and congratualtions to you on your weight loss success. Keep it going!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've used Runkeeper for several years but also use Endomondo in parallel now.

Runkeeper gives reasonable analysis tools and training, particularly if you use the premium version, but I find that the GPS tracking on iPhone was a bit inconsistent. haven't had tat issue with an android phone so it may have been a platform issue.

Endomondo has good analysis tools and in the premium version can come up with custom training plans, which I'musing at the moment. The ability to use tagging to support analysis is pretty powerful for me.

with both you can manually inject sessions, so suitable for hamster wheels. Both have the option for a bluetooth HRM connection as well.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience to compare it to but I like RunTastic. Works well and plays well with other Apps.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm on Nike+. Suits me because I don't really track heart rate info. Unfortunately, I have to manually enter the data from Nike+ to MFP, but that only takes a minute. I'm sticking with Nike+ because I have the fuelband also, and I set all my goals on that website.

I love biking though, and neither the Nike+ app nor fuelband do that, since the fuelband measures arm movement only. Not good because your arms don't move much when biking 20 miles. Technically I could use the Nike running app to track my rides too, but that would throw off my running averages and running best times. I downloaded Runtastic Road Bike recently, and am going to use it as soon as the weather becomes a bit friendlier.
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    Just to add another app into the mix - I quite like Strava. They have one for running and one for biking. If you have any friends that use one or the other of these I would go with their choice as you can compare workouts etc.
  • muck3muck
    Options
    Digifit...tracks HR and calories burned, maps your route, tracks other health stats, works on IOS and Android, and syncs with MFP.