Labeling and figuring out calorie burn for workout DVDs

Options
I just did Jillian Michaels Body Revolution Phase 1 DVD 1. How do I input the burned calories?

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Purchase a HRM. It is a good investment.
  • tdemiter
    tdemiter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! A HRM will give you the best results. I just purchased one and have realized that I've been over and/or under estimating my exercise!!!
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM. I'm 100% serious. There's NO way you're going to get a totally accurate calorie burn without a HRM. I got a Polar FT4 for $63 on Amazon. I don't work out at the gym, so I need to know how many calories I burn doing my Wii games and workout videos. Wii Fit was telling me I burned 450 calories in an hour if I did certain exercises. In reality I burn about 300 an hour if I do those same exercises. That's a huge difference.
  • sandjar131
    sandjar131 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters - get an HRM. I find MFP way overestimates my calorie burn (almost 1,000 calories for an hour of Zumba per MFP, but 570 (usually) per my HRM).

Best investment I've made since I started this endeavor!
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Becasue everyone exercises at different intensities, it would be pretty much impossible to say what should be entered. The HRM will tell you what you burned much more accurately than any estimate. Someone else could be doing the exact same thing as you and each of you would have different calories burned.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of workouts.......some are cardio alone / some are strength training alone / some are circuit training

http://www.collagevideo.com/bodyrevolution/body_revolution.aspx

I keep these graphs (copy & paste into word) .....in the DVD box (not Jillian's ....but others I like). This way I have it whenever I need it.

HRMs are designed for steady state cardio.....not so good for other things.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    collage video is going out of business.