HIgh blood pressure

Options
So was recently put on medicine does anybody out there take high blood pressure medicine how does it affect your life
i would like to hear other peoples opinions

Replies

• ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I too was recently put on meds and am interested in this... frankly only thing I've noticed is I try to watch how much sodium I consume now. And I've cut down on my soda intake (drastically)
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I used to take it but then quit smoking and lost a few pounds so no longer on them. it doesn't impact your life negatively if anything I felt better that I wasn't getting that rush/flush feeling. I watch my sodium and stay away mostly from deli meats but other than that no problem
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just got put on some medicine as well, makes me a whole heck of a lot more tired then normal, muscles feel weak, and often very light headed. Had to go to ER last week because it made me drop too low. Keep it monitored!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Me too...depends on what you're taking I suppose. For me, there haven't really been any side effects.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a beta-blocker for 2 years now and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary from taking it.

I will say that the pill is one of the many reasons that I am making the effort to lose the weight and get in shape - I want to get rid of that morning ritual and when my weight comes back down to a reasonable level so will my blood pressure!
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what type you take. My blood pressure shot up when I had my daughter and I've been on meds ever since then. I was on Nifedipine which caused my to swell and flush in my legs/feet all the time. I didn't realize it was caused by my med until recently. My doctor switched me to amlodipine besylate and I have no side effects.

My brother was put on BP meds and he had a terrible hacky cough as a side effect. This caused him to lose sleep because he was always coughing when he laid down. I believe he switched meds and it's cleared up. Not sure what he was or is not taking.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Although I hate taking pills, they haven't bothered me at all and have controlled my blood pressure perfectly. When I lost weight I had to go on a lower does though. You'll know when that happens! You get nauseous, weak and feel like you cant even walk. If that happens, call your Dr. asap!
    I look at them as saving my life and keeping me from having a stroke, heart attack, migraines, etc. I'll keep them. :)
  • April_KT
    Options
    Unfortunately mine is not because of older age or weight. Im almost 21 and in a healthy weight range. Just comes naturally for me, woohoo..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So was recently put on medicine does anybody out there take high blood pressure medicine how does it affect your life
    i would like to hear other peoples opinions

I do...it affects my life in that I have to pop a couple pills in the morning...that is all. I do not have any side effects or anything like that and my BP is normal with my meds.

I was hoping to get off of them with proper diet and exercise but my condition seems to be more of a hereditary thing than anything else. I've been able to turn everything else around and get off all of my meds except for my BP meds...and I' pretty sure if it isn't fixed now with the way I rock my nutrition and fitness, it just isn't going to happen.

they're no big deal...take your meds...keep your BP normal.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I do. Was going to have to start taking a second. Then I lost 20 lbs. Don't need the second any more. Hope to kick the first one if I lose more.

Only effect it has on my life is 5 seconds every morning putting it in my mouth and having a drink of water. Side effects for the second sounded less attractive. Glad I won't be finding out first hand.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been on meds for 10 years and dont feel any impact on my life.

doseage slowy increasing as the weight went on.

since starting MFP I have had my medication reduced twice.

I look forward to maybe ending meds or at least be on minimal doseage.

David :smile:

***edited for typo**
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cause, depends on the drug type (they work on different systems/parts of body). Erectile dysfunction can be common (in men obviously!)

Most of my patients are fine but some do need to switch types either due to side effects or unwanted effects on blood chemistry which patients are usually unaware of.

ETA Often they can be stopped if wt is lost but again, it depends on the cause of the hypertension (high BP) in the first place and wt loss and sodium reduction may not make any odds.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Take it daily...I lost all of my weight to get off of it. No joy. Found out it was hereditary.

So for me, I take it and feel no different. Like a placebo. Two little tablets every morning (I dare not take it at night because it is a diuretic and it does make me pee more.)
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I take two meds for high blood pressure and have for years. One of them is actually a combo med so that would be three I guess. I've been on different combinations and some have side effects (or weren't working) and I've had to switch.

My blood pressure is sensitive to my weight and even on the meds it was always hovering between borderline and high. It was well w/in the normal range last time it was checked so I'm hoping that holds and as I reach my goal maybe one can be reduced or eliminated.

The one's I am on now - one makes me pee a lot (it is a diuretic so that is expected not really a side effect). I get leg cramps if I don't get enough potassium because it tends to deplete potassium. The other makes me a little tired. It was bad the first two weeks but not so much anymore.

In the past meds have made my lower legs swell to much (even with the diuretic) and another caused heart flutters.

high blood pressure is nothing to mess around with so I'm glad the meds are there.
  • kodijhill
    kodijhill Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone so far for your input makes me feel a little better so i take 10mg of lisiniprol not sure on the spelling there and its obviuosly becasue im over weight so im hoping to get this weight off and not have to take them today is my first day and i already have a headache and a pounding heart but maybe im just psyching myself out. im a bit of a worrier
  • April_KT
    Options
    thanks everyone so far for your input makes me feel a little better so i take 10mg of lisiniprol not sure on the spelling there and its obviuosly becasue im over weight so im hoping to get this weight off and not have to take them today is my first day and i already have a headache and a pounding heart but maybe im just psyching myself out. im a bit of a worrier

Thats what im on along with Hydrochlorothiazide.. hopefully your side effects arent like mine. But it did work to lower Bp!!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

That's what I take. Works great and I haven't noticed any side effects at all.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I was taking lisonoprel but it made me cough. I have enough problems with coughing from acid reflux issues so I had the doctor switch me to amlodipine.

I still don't understand how I lost weight and THEN developed hypertension.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have been on blood pressure med for a year mine increased during my last pregnancy went down after delivery but increased again 8 weeks after. I am on a low dose anyways and they let me stay on the pills I had when pregnant since I had no side effects from them. The only problem I have is remembering to take it. Otherwise I am fine and working out hasn't been an issue. Again in the beginning you may need to be adjusted but that can be normal. I also have to take my own blood pressure at home 3x per week it helps to know where you are at and if you need to call your doctor. I bought a simple at home automatic cuff and I take mine in the mornings my doctor gave me guidelines of when to call.

I take labetalol and a water pill because my birth control was making me retain water.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've always had crazy high bp, from a young age, and it isn't weight related. Without meds, it averages around 150/100. I'm on Lisiniprol 20 mg and it hasn't changed anything, except I get headaches less frequently. Nothing out of the ordinary. :)

ETA: After thinking, I realized I do have two side effects: coughing and dry eyes. The coughing is only bad after exercise (and coughing is related to exercise anyway), but the dry eyes are painful sometimes and I do carry around eye drops now.