Anyone heard the term 'seagan'?

Options
13»

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am a seagan. This does not mean a vegetarian that eats fish, that is a pescetarian. A seagan is similar to a vegan but not the same. A seagan is someone who is basically vegan from the ground up but eats seafood. Becically I eat fish but no honey, meat or dairy products.

The theory behind this is that shrimp/bivalves are more sustainable to consume, correct? Like they're kind of dumb and easy to harvest and more sustainable then factory farming livestock?

Not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with it, but to add to the conversation, I've also heard the argument that crustaceans and bivalves have basically no capacity for feeling pain; they essentially have the same brain-power of an eggplant.

Yeah, you better explained it then I did - that's more along the lines of what I was going for.

*Edit: misinterpreted a previous poster.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I'm not mad, folks, I'm just a little irked with this debate sometimes. Ok, here goes.....

I wish society would lose the "labels." Vegan is vegan; anything that adds any animal products is not vegan. Simple. Vegetarian is vegetarian; if you add any animal flesh, it's not vegetarian. Simple. People get too caught up in labels. What gets my goat is everyone wants to be distinguished as "something" but no one really is concerned with reasons why we eat what we do.

If you want to eat some shrimp or seafood, do it. Eat what you need to keep yourself healthy. This whole debate about vegeterians, pescatarians, vegans, seagans, ovo-lacto, brogans, hoagies, heroes, frankfurters, hotdogs, dog tags, tagless t-shirts, etc, is just ridiculous (as ridiculous as this sentence is.....haha).

Vegan - nothing made of or coming from animals
    Vegetarian - no meat or flesh of any kind. Fish is meat no matter how much you guys and the RC church want to debate it.
    Omnivore - veg, fruit, flesh (no matter which flesh it is)

I'm not any label. I hardly eat red meat but every now and then I have a skirt steak at the Argentinian place. I eat lots of veggies and lots of times I find there is no flesh in my meals. Good for me but who cares?

This stringency in what we choose to fuel our bodies has become a state of fashion as opposed to a state of health. Enough with the "-arian isms."

And that's my contribution. Bring on the stones, folks!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    So you wanna be a pescetarian.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    negative ghost rider... a spade is still a spade by any other name... you would not be a vegan if you are eating fish....but if you ENJOY the fish and WANT to eat it have at 'er! The only person/thing stopping you is well YOU and YOUR labels on what you're eating...best of luck.. hope health wise things turn around for you!

WORD! Gosh, I thought I was the only one.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I know you don't have to eat meat to be healthy and I know vegan diets can work. What I. Saying is I'm young, growing and trying to get strong and what I was doing DIDN'T work and so I have gone back to when I was healthy (when I was veggie, and had been since I was 12) so that I can improve my health and research more into the vegan diet.
    Also the restrictive nature of the diet exacerbated my ED and I thought it would be better if I were to beat that then be vegan rather than spend the rest of my life with an ED and completely miserable.

oh dear lord. just eat what you want to eat.

HAHA, you're funny. :laugh: I like this thread!
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options

A lot of people in recovery from ED go towards veganism, and unfortunately use it as another way to restrict. If that is why you're doing it, then you need to make sure to get more help and realize that veganism isn't for you and it seems like you have, so great job. but veganism in itself does not cause poor health.

I hope you get the help you need and continue on a healthy path. <3

I kept seeing ED and thinking Erectile Dis-function and then I realized that everyone meant Eating Disorder. I'm less confused now.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    dont get why it needs a label, just eat what you eat.

This
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So what plants do fish grow on then?
  • debroach
    debroach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have and it is the nutrition plan I follow. I have benefitted from the number of protein selections it provides. It also makes it easier to dine out. Be careful of the amount of shellfish you eat because they are high in iodine. Good choices include some of the meaty or oily fishes like salmon since it is high in omega 3s. Good luck!
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In answer to the original question - No, I had never heard the term seagan. That said I immediately understood what was implied by it.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I know, cue the hating vegans.....
    I was vegan up until yesterday but my poorly planned diet has left me very deficient and ill and so I have temporarily reverted back to vegetarianism until I know what I am doing.
    When I return to veganism I was thinking of possibly eating prawns and some other fish that I personally deem ok.
    I have researched this and it is called seagan.
    I am not looking for hate from some vegans, I am just asking if anyone is/heard of seaganism?

I have never heard the term seagan BUT that said when I was young they had Vegetarians and Vegans, a Vegetarian could eat eggs, any brand of bouillon (chicken) for flavoring and some added fish and/or poultry. A true Vegan did not eat eggs, only vegetarian bouillons (like Mrs. Whites) and no fish/poultry etc. They have created new names for all the different types depending on your diet choices. I am thinking that if you add fish/shellfish and/or poultry occasionally you should be fine.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    The world is full of gimmicks. What has happened to common sense eating from a variety of perfectly safe and non-toxic food groups? :ohwell:
  • marma_13
    marma_13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Never heard the term, but I like it and would arguable fit into that category. I am 99% vegan, but the "plant-based" kind, not the "no food from anything with a face, ever" kind, which means my nutritional practice allows animal-based foods, but prefers and recommends "mostly" plant-based foods. I have chosen this course purely for health reasons, not for any spiritual or moral reasons. My choices are almost always plants, but there are occasions when I eat fish -- usually when I am at a restaurant with others and it seems like the safest, healthiest (for me and the planet) way to go. That rarely happens -- maybe 4 times a year. My health is better than ever and this is working for me. Good luck.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Vegan- Person who eats no meat and no animal by products
    Pescetarian- Person who eats no meat but eats seafood and dairy and eggs
    Seagan- Person who eats seafood and NO other animal/animal by products

It's word combining to make a new word. So no they aren't a Vegan and they are not claiming to be a vegan they are a Seagan a person who eats Seafood and no other animals or animal by products which would not make them a pescetarian in the formal sense. They are not claiming to be vegan. It is only word combining which is done in any language all the time, it's the easiest way for others to understand that it's a person who ONLY eats seafood and not dairy and eggs. Seagan is actually a different meaning from all the others therefore it needs it's own word to assign it's meaning and I think most people could guess the definition from just looking at the word which makes it easier for others to understand. This could also help vegans in the long run because people would actually start differentiating between them and stop asking the "but you eat fish right?" question which pisses most vegans off.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, I'd never heard of seaganism. Eating prawns wouldn't be a return to veganism, but from you describe, it would fit the definition of being a seagan. But you will likely have to explain yourself a lot, because I think most people don't know what it is.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    Plant eaters with a little common sense, so I've been told.:bigsmile: