Help! No Nutritional Info...What Do I Choose?

I'm supposed to meet some girlfriends for dinner tonight at Carlos O'Kelly's. (Side note: Of all of the fake Mexican restaurants out there, this is my least favorite). Naturally, they don't have any of their nutritional info posted on their website. Can you guys give me some options as to what I should choose? Some advice? I'm not overly familiar with their options.

TIA!

Replies

• viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    I really depends on what your goals are.... do you have a calorie goal for the meal? Certain macros you're trying to meet?
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    ^ True

I always go for crunchy beef or chicken tacos either with or without cheese depending on how many calories I have left for the day. Refried and/or black beans. Skip the chips or limit yourself to about 11. I count them out on my napkin (I'm pitiful I know).

ETCorrect spelling
  • Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    Googling the restaurant I've only come up with a few menu items that have any calorie/fat info from their menu and this is from hitting a bunch of websites. It seems that Carlos O'Kelly's doesn't like to provide any info on their food according to what I've read from a few sites. But hopefully this will help you out a bit at least with a few things to pick from.

http://www.foodinfodb.com/restaurants/c/carlos-okellys-mexican-cafe
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    For Mexican if I'm trying to keep it on the healthier side I typically go for fajitas. Grilled meat and veggies, no cheese or cheese sauce. If you want lower carbs, don't eat the tortilla. If they include gaucamole or sour cream, you can choose whether it is worth the calories to eat those or not.

Actually, I go for fajitas whether I'm watching calories or not, because fajitas are SO yummy.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    For Mexican if I'm trying to keep it on the healthier side I typically go for fajitas. Grilled meat and veggies, no cheese or cheese sauce. If you want lower carbs, don't eat the tortilla. If they include gaucamole or sour cream, you can choose whether it is worth the calories to eat those or not.

Actually, I go for fajitas whether I'm watching calories or not, because fajitas are SO yummy.

Fajitas are a good option! You can also usually ask for corn tortillas instead of flour if you have to have a tortilla. Corn tortillas are typically ~45 calories each while flour can be 100+.
  • ontherunat41
    ontherunat41 Posts: 21 Member
    Guys, thanks for the responses! Great info here. To answer the question about what I'm trying to accomplish nutritionally, I'd like to keep this outing around 600 calories or less. The more protein the better, but no specific macro goals. I'm just starting out and honestly still learning portion control and quality choices. At this point, the caloric intake is my biggest interest.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Guys, thanks for the responses! Great info here. To answer the question about what I'm trying to accomplish nutritionally, I'd like to keep this outing around 600 calories or less. The more protein the better, but no specific macro goals. I'm just starting out and honestly still learning portion control and quality choices. At this point, the caloric intake is my biggest interest.

I would go with what the posters above mentioned ... fajitas!

There is also this on their website
    Charbroiled Chicken Salad
    A bed of crisp greens, onions, lite cheddar cheese, tossed with sweet corn, green and red peppers, black beans, chives and tomatoes. Topped with sliced Charbroiled Chicken Breast and served with Pico de Gallo, fat-free Raspberry Vinaigrette, and baked no-fat flour chips. (310 calories; 4 fat grams)
    Ask for extra chicken to up the protein!

Not bad at all and you still even have room for a dessert or chips and salsa!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    If its low quality Mexican, avoid the beans, I think they generally look like they have been dumped straight from the can.

Do they have chicken tortilla soup? That might be safe. Enchiladas are good, but high in carbs, avoid the chili rellenos, Fajitas also sound safe.

Can you sneak a salad in before hand? Ask for a box immediately and box half and toss it later, if you really hate the place that much.

ETA Boxing half of it is good for portion control period. I may have misunderstood the question also :laugh:
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    go for a fajita salad
  • ontherunat41
    ontherunat41 Posts: 21 Member

I would go with what the posters above mentioned ... fajitas!

There is also this on their website
    Charbroiled Chicken Salad
    A bed of crisp greens, onions, lite cheddar cheese, tossed with sweet corn, green and red peppers, black beans, chives and tomatoes. Topped with sliced Charbroiled Chicken Breast and served with Pico de Gallo, fat-free Raspberry Vinaigrette, and baked no-fat flour chips. (310 calories; 4 fat grams)
    Ask for extra chicken to up the protein!

Not bad at all and you still even have room for a dessert or chips and salsa!

Great idea! Sounds good! I'll skip the dessert, but certainly go for something else instead. : )