Struggling to reach a net of 1200

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Or you could just do TDEE-% & not have to worry about logging exercise at all (within reason)... ????

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Yes TDEE is a good method but you don't eat back exercise calories at all...not within reason...ie big workout doesn't give you permission to eat those back..

TDEE should already have taken that into account.

that is why TDEE is useful for those with a set workout schedule and why MFP neat is good for those starting out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am hitting the 1700 before working out, but then it drops a lot, so I'm under 1200. Also, apparently, the amount of calories burned is determined by weight + duration (I googled to see if maybe MFP was over-estimating the amount I've burned and every calculator I've found takes my weight into account and gives me an amount similar to what MFP gives me).

Calorie burns depend upon height, weight, age, gender, EXERTION level, and more. MFP and google can't know your exertion level. Most people here think that MFP values are too high.....many people who use a HRM for the first time are shocked by how low calorie burns truely are.

What an HRM does.....you wear a chest strap the measure electric implules (your heart rate) constantly.....that number is compared against your resting heart rate. That is used for the exertion part of the formula. You also plug in height, weight, age & gender.....all factors. Even then.....HRMs are good for steady state cardio.....not other workouts. This is how difficult it is to come up with an accurate calorie burn.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor. Seriously. It's very important to make sure you don't overestimate your calorie burn, which is most likely happening. That leads to overeating and another thread asking why you're not losing weight.

If you still have trouble netting the correct amount after confirming your burns are correct, that's an easy fix. Skip the "diet" food and eat calorie dense foods such as regular dressings (a lot of people switch to low-cal versions of dressings, which isn't always necessary), peanut butter, nuts, etc.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It seems that the calorie burn is frequently exaggerated by MFP. Invest in a HRM I prefer the Polar FT7 that way you have an accurate burn and can adjust your intake accordingly. As for the 1200, you don't need to eat back your exercise calories. Also if you are way under a glass of no sugar added juice normally does the trick, or an avocado, banana, etc.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing for 36 minutes to burn 658 calories doesn't seem like an accurate number.. unless you're wearing a HRM and *constantly* moving, I would average at most 10 calories a minute...

^^^agreed^^^
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Eat some peanut butter? High calorie, low volume.
  • sen1961
    sen1961 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How about some fruits and veggies?
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    2nd yes you can reach 1200 or you wouldn't be here...sorry to be blunt but thems the facts.

I think that's probably the truest thing I've read on here.
  • 2shedz
    2shedz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're saying that you lack the appetite to eat enough food to get to 1200 calories a day net, but you are nonetheless overweight, I wonder if you have a health problem that you haven't identified - something to do with your thyroid perhaps? It might be good to see your doctor.

On the other hand, if you have the appetite, but the difficulty is finding a diet that hits 1200 calories on the nose rather than being above or below, perhaps you need to look at what you eat - perhaps increase the fruit, vegetables, lean protein and good fats, replacing some of the more carb-heavy stuff and "diet" snacks. With only 1200 calories allowance, it's important to make sure you are getting all your essential nutrients as well as the right amount of calories - food is about more than just energy and an unbalanced diet can have a great impact on your overall health and mood.
  • ScifiGirl1986
    ScifiGirl1986 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I can't afford a heart rate monitor right now, so i'll have to do the percentage thing people have been saying. I haven't really cut any food out of my diet, although I am eating less than I was before starting and I am seeing weight loss. I was starting to think that I was going insane when I saw those numbers in my MFP diary because I thought I was eating a lot more now than I was before (I have to snack more during the day and the night to get anywhere near where I have to be at the end of the day when I exorcise). Now, that I know MFP really overestimates calories burnt, I'm not as scared of seeing numbers below 1200 because I more than likely haven't burned as many calories as it says I did.

@2shedz, I wasn't having problems reaching 1200 before staring because I ate a lot of the wrong stuff, like an entire digorno pizza, which apparently has a serving size of 1 slice, which makes absolutely no sense if you've seen those pizzas. That's like eating one slice of Pizza Hut pizza (not the pan pizzas). Who gets full on one slice? Now that I know, I won't be buying them because it makes no sense to eat them if it means less calories for other meals, unless of course I want to exorcise long enough to actually burn 600+ calories.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think you still have not understood my point.

When I look at your diary almost everyday you eat 500 calories BELOW the goal MFP gives you.

If you have set up MFP correctly, this number is already 500 calories below what you need to maintain your weight.

Therefore you should be eating closer to the number MFP gives you.

Eating 50-75% of your estimated calorie burn is fine, but you don't need to have a 1,000 calorie deficit per day to lose 1 pound a week.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I can't afford a heart rate monitor right now, so i'll have to do the percentage thing people have been saying. I haven't really cut any food out of my diet, although I am eating less than I was before starting and I am seeing weight loss. I was starting to think that I was going insane when I saw those numbers in my MFP diary because I thought I was eating a lot more now than I was before (I have to snack more during the day and the night to get anywhere near where I have to be at the end of the day when I exorcise). Now, that I know MFP really overestimates calories burnt, I'm not as scared of seeing numbers below 1200 because I more than likely haven't burned as many calories as it says I did.

If you can't afford one of the high-tech monitors, get a cheap one. I bought one from Wal-Mart for $20 that seems pretty accurate. It will give you a better estimate than MFP will.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

@2shedz, I wasn't having problems reaching 1200 before staring because I ate a lot of the wrong stuff, like an entire digorno pizza, which apparently has a serving size of 1 slice, which makes absolutely no sense if you've seen those pizzas. That's like eating one slice of Pizza Hut pizza (not the pan pizzas). Who gets full on one slice? Now that I know, I won't be buying them because it makes no sense to eat them if it means less calories for other meals, unless of course I want to exorcise long enough to actually burn 600+ calories.

There is no such thing as "wrong stuff". It's about learning how to eat what you like in moderation. If you want pizza, learn how to work it into your day. A slice and a half of pizza with a salad, or veggies or something.

Telling yourself that there are "wrong" foods will only sets up for failure down the road.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    2nd yes you can reach 1200 or you wouldn't be here...sorry to be blunt but thems the facts.

I think that's probably the truest thing I've read on here.

Welp, you two beat me to it.