How much fat is too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• keithemp
    keithemp Posts: 71
    Options
    Fat doesn’t make you fat. Sugar makes you fat.

Neither sugar nor fat make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat. Fin

I'm aware of this, but the OP was making eating fat out to be the culprit. I was merely dispelling the age old myth that eating even a little bit of fat makes you fat. I stand by my statement.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    False. Nothing makes you fat except excess macronutrients.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

What on earth is a "fruitarian" :laugh:
    You don't have google?
  • timc_73
    timc_73 Posts: 6
    Options
    Personally, I don't think fat is generally the problem.

Suppose the only calories you ate were from fat. Any fat you ate beyond your metabolic needs would be delivered to adipose tissue (fat tissue). In that event, you could easily determine how much fat you actually need, but it would vary greatly from day to day. That's the simplest model imaginable.

As long as your blood has glucose and your muscle has an ample supply of glycogen, just about any fat you eat will be delivered and stored in fat tissue (or be lost through digestion), because your cells ALWAYS prioritize glucose metabolism (and then glycogen) before mobilizing fatty acids from your stored fat.

In other words, the best way to gain and keep fat is by eating lots of carbohydrates. If you're eating more than 500 calories worth of carbohydrates per day, you're going to have a hard time burning fat, which will lead to "stubborn" fat storage.

Similarly, excess protein will also get stored as glycogen (to the tune of about 58-70%).
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I would trim out the cheese, and keep the plant fats. If that is not enough, you could lower the amount of plant fats. Fats that you eat absolutely contribute to your body fat. People who eat really low fat, like fruitarians, are some of the skinniest people around. Check out this video from "foodnsport" on youtube.
    I'm beginning to believe your a troll simply because without exception your posts are ridiculously inaccurate. The problem is, innocent people that don't know much about nutrition might take you seriously, stop talking.

What on earth is a "fruitarian" :laugh:
    Fruitarians come from the same order of collective nouns as Fruitcakes. Hope that helps.
  • keithemp
    Options
    False. Nothing makes you fat except excess macronutrients.

This is true, but it doesn't take into account other issues.

People don't JUST want to lose fat, they want to gain muscle. So by this logic, if they ate nothing but sugary treats and ate a deficit, they would lose weight (which is true). However, they would not improve body composition, their body would look like *kitten*.

Most people here want to look good at the end of it all, so they work out to build muscle definition and improve their body composition.

I just dislike this blanket statement that people on this site like to use for all cases. While it is true, just saying 'eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight' is a misleading statement.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If it isn't broke don't fix it. I personally eat 60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs. If you lower your fat what are you going to replace it with? Anything more then 1g of protein/ pound of LBM will go to waste (ie fat storage) unless you're lifting heavy to build muscle. Eating more carbs can run the risk of creating an insulin response which stores excess blood sugar as fat. IMHO that is where I would start the tinkering. Find out how low you can go with carbs and still maintain performance. Keep in mind if you drop them abruptly you may have a withdraw like period for 2-3 days. Often bodybuilders do this when they are looking to lean up for a competition. Allows them to keep their protein constant to maintain muscle mass.

There are other things you can try tinkering with like intermittent fasting or fasted workouts. Can force your body to use it's fat stores for fuel during a workout. You are really at a point where your body is likely at a comfortable state of homeostasis. It may not want to go any leaner for a while.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If it isn't broke don't fix it. I personally eat 60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs. If you lower your fat what are you going to replace it with? Anything more then 1g of protein/ pound of LBM will go to waste (ie fat storage) unless you're lifting heavy to build muscle. Eating more carbs can run the risk of creating an insulin response which stores excess blood sugar as fat. IMHO that is where I would start the tinkering. Find out how low you can go with carbs and still maintain performance. Keep in mind if you drop them abruptly you may have a withdraw like period for 2-3 days. Often bodybuilders do this when they are looking to lean up for a competition. Allows them to keep their protein constant to maintain muscle mass.

There are other things you can try tinkering with like intermittent fasting or fasted workouts. Can force your body to use it's fat stores for fuel during a workout. You are really at a point where your body is likely at a comfortable state of homeostasis. It may not want to go any leaner for a while.

Ooh now I'm confused! I've been eating far more protein than that, 130 - 150g, but I can't lift heavy because I don't have access to a gym. I do body weight exercises though and squats/lunges/shoulder presses/bicep curls and other bits and bobs with 4 and 5kg dumbells. I would love to do a proper lifting program but its just not possible for me right now :-( I'm starting to feel like I'll never get there :frown:
  • keithemp
    Options
    Ooh now I'm confused! I've been eating far more protein than that, 130 - 150g, but I can't lift heavy because I don't have access to a gym. I do body weight exercises though and squats/lunges/shoulder presses/bicep curls and other bits and bobs with 4 and 5kg dumbells. I would love to do a proper lifting program but its just not possible for me right now :-( I'm starting to feel like I'll never get there :frown:

If your profile pic is you, I think you're doing fine.

You can eat that much protein without any issues. I eat 170-200g per day. The more protein and healthy fats you eat, the less carbs you will eat, so it's all good!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I would trim out the cheese, and keep the plant fats. If that is not enough, you could lower the amount of plant fats. Fats that you eat absolutely contribute to your body fat. People who eat really low fat, like fruitarians, are some of the skinniest people around. Check out this video from "foodnsport" on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o
    I'm beginning to believe your a troll simply because without exception your posts are ridiculously inaccurate. The problem is, innocent people that don't know much about nutrition might take you seriously, stop talking.

agree

OP: eat the fat. i'm set at 30% but am often over (highest has been 53% :o). i'm of the opinion that as long as it doesn't affect my protein goal its no biggie.

i find an earlier poster's advice of 20% ridiculous. as a female, this would affect hormone production - personally, i wouldnt be able to get my required allotment of nutella at that =D

ETA: your abs look amazing btw
  • lightmouse
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o

agree

OP: eat the fat. i'm set at 30% but am often over (highest has been 53% :o). i'm of the opinion that as long as it doesn't affect my protein goal its no biggie.

i find an earlier poster's advice of 20% ridiculous. as a female, this would affect hormone production - personally, i wouldnt be able to get my required allotment of nutella at that =D

ETA: your abs look amazing btw

Thank you :flowerforyou: I also love that I just read this while spooning Nutella into my smoothie...one spoon for the blender, one for me.....

Thanks everyone for their responses, I really do love this site! Gonna carry on eating my avocados with a smile on my face :happy:
  • lightmouse
    Options

If your profile pic is you, I think you're doing fine.

You can eat that much protein without any issues. I eat 170-200g per day. The more protein and healthy fats you eat, the less carbs you will eat, so it's all good!

It is me :smile: I have loathed (I'm afraid that is the only word strong enough) my tummy for about 10 years and hidden it away, I wouldn't even wear a bikini on the beach. I've made so much progress since sorting out my diet, I have always been an active person but I either under-ate, or ate the wrong things all the time. Chocolate being the main problem...

When I saw things start to change I thought "I need to get over my tummy-hating and put it out there" hahaha :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn’t make you fat. Sugar makes you fat.

Neither sugar nor fat make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat. Fin
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Fat on your abs???? What???? Is this a joke? You look amazing woman!!!!!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :love:

Ah thank you :flowerforyou: I've worked really hard but there is a little bit left at the bottom that I would like to shift if I can :smile:

it's the hardest area to lose on. it will take a lot of time, and very disciplined eating habits.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    In to read later. I'm at 40% fat calories. 30% p and c.