I need a little help. :/

Options
So I weight 259 lbs and I'm 6'2'', have tried losing weight for awhile. But it seems I can never stick to anything.....
I used to weight 267 lbs so I guess I'm better than I used to be.

But I just seem to never get the energy to workout and since my family and I are super busy, we usually end up eating junk, fast food, or the crappy stuff you add water to and voila it's supper.
Of course as some of you who are reading this may know, is that healthy food isn't the cheapest in the world. If you know of any brands that are a good deal please tell me, I would love to pick some up to swap out the junk with.

As far as exercise goes, I don't really have space to exercise. My basement is used to tutor some kids and I can't go down there while the teaching is going on, and it isn't over till 3 p.m... My bedroom is too tiny to exercise in without banging into something and falling flat on my face.
I do skip breakfast cause I usually wake up late from being up all night finishing some projects. I can probably reschedule the projects and start waking up early, so I can eat breakfast and exercise in the morning. s

I need a very effective exercise routine and a meal plan to stick to. I have already cut out soft drinks and that has made a difference. I'm now trying to cut any liquid besides water, and I do keep a water bottle with me at all times. I
I guess I'll get down to the main point, 1. the closest gym is about an hour from where I live so that's a no go. 2. I need a really effective exercise routine, 3. A meal plan that is easy,, not boring, and not going to break my wallet.

If there is any tips that you know of, that would help me in my journey please feel free to tell me! I am always open to listen to new ideas or suggestions! :)

Thanks for your time ^_^

Replies

• seasonsanna
    Options
    go outside and walk or run, skip breakfast and don't worry about it, eat anything you like that fits into your calorie goals.
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Easiest meal plan: Portion control. If dinner tonight is junk food, read the package to see what a serving size is. Stick to it. If you're still hungry, go get some baby carrots, cucumber, salad in a bag. All things with little to no prep time.

Start with simple exercise. Get up 10 minutes early and do 15 squats, 15 push-ups, 15 sit ups. Repeat as many times as you can.

Go for a walk. It will have the benefit of getting you moving, and will clear your head for the project you are working on. Long cram sessions are not effective. You need a break.

Once you get into a simple routine, you will start feeling better and wanting to add on. Make sure to start small in order to make changes that are sustainable.
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm a big fan of breakfast, personally; it gets my metabolism going for the day. Have you tried buying pre-cut frozen vegetables and cooking with those? You can just throw them in a pan with some spaghetti sauce and eat that on noodles, mix them with curry blocks and water then eat with rice, add a little chicken to make it more protein-licious... I love the frozen packaged stuff, 'cause I'm busy and lazy too. It's healthier than things that are totally premade but it saves time and effort still.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need to put in some effort with planning. Everybody is busy, but many do in fact find time to plan meals, shop and cook, and exercise.

While I agree with those who say you can lose weight on "junk", it is the portion size, you can eat a whole lot more of "healthier" foods than you can the junk.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Go to the closet playground and do pull ups, squats, planks, whatever. Usually there's a decent amount of open space at playgrounds to. Get some cleats if you don't have any, $25 baseball ones will do, and do 10 sprints in 15 minutes.

Food: Go to the grocery store and stay on the outside. Don't go down the aisles.

No routine or meal plan is perfect. Sack it up and stop making excuses. Just start. If you really want to lose the weight, no obstacle will stop you.
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    Hi Morton! Welcome to the the Pal!
    Hey, it's tough to get started, but cutting out soda is a great start! I am still too attached to do that, so way to go!

Look up Leslie Sansone on YouTube. Here's a good starter video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk

Is it dorky? YES Does the dog give you that "WTF Human?" look? YES

But you sweat, and you move, and it takes literally no space, you can do it anywhere, no equipment needed, it's free, you don't have to go outside in the cold/rain/heat etc. You can start slow and easy, stop whenever you want, and she's got a bunch of videos up so you can choose your time frame. I also like her positive attitude, dorky though it is!

Morton, you are out of excuses! (unless you have bad knees or something, then I got nothing)

Cheap and healthy food ideas: brown rice, beans, quinoa, carrots, bananas, eggs and milk. Shop the sales, stock up and store or freeze stuff for later use. When you find a good deal on applesauce, you eat applesauce!

Here's a recipe for you: get a great big pot, four cups of chicken stock, cup of brown rice, cup of quinoa (or use 2 cups of one of those) once that boils you dump in your chicken, and literally whatever veggies are in your house right at this moment, can be corn, beans, peas, mushrooms, zucchini, green pepper, tomato, anything, bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder, can do basil etc if you want, let that whole mass just simmer for awhile with the cover on till the veggies are tender and the grains are done. Very high yummyness factor!

Make soups and stews and casseroles and then put them in the freezer in serving sized containers, end your fast food problems. Just lowering your fast food intake will make a huge difference in how you feel, set a goal like "this month we're only getting fast food twice a week" and every month cut that number down until you're free!

Hope this helps!
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    When I used to be that busy I would cook a bunch of brown rice and keep it in the frig. Then I could throw a serving of it into a pan with some veggies and chicken broth, heat it through and there was dinner. Brown rice with scrambled eggs is quick and easy. A little soy sauce on it tastes good, too. You can buy a 5-lb bag of brown rice fairly cheaply. Beans and rice with salsa is a good healthy go-to meal. I buy small cans of beans when they are on sale so I don't have to cook the dried beans.

Buy veggies on sale. Chop up onions, peppers, zucchini, whatever -- put it in pasta sauce. I buy canned soup on sale, too, and then add some frozen veggies to it when I heat it, to make it thicker and more filling.

One of my favorite quick meals is a microwaved potato with cottage cheese and salsa.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    start small. park towards the back of shopping centers and walk the extra steps. build up to wanting to take a walk around the block, and go from there.

track what you eat on here, guilt free. be brutally honest (don't close out, though, it'll tell you mean things). and just start to take note of your food intake. ("that five-bite breakfast burrito was 400 calories? really? it didn't taste like 400 calories to me." etc)

you didn't put the weight on overnight, it's not going to come overnight. take it at your speed, and do it for you. :)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

since my family and I are super busy, we usually end up eating junk, fast food, or the crappy stuff you add water to and voila it's supper.

This is an excuse. I am a mother of 2 (5 yrs and 16 months). I work fulltime, 40 hours per week. I'm a full-time Bachelor student. I keep house, cook all meals and am losing weight. It takes TIME management and dedication.
    As far as exercise goes, I don't really have space to exercise. My basement is used to tutor some kids and I can't go down there while the teaching is going on, and it isn't over till 3 p.m... My bedroom is too tiny to exercise in without banging into something and falling flat on my face.

This is also an excuse. I don't have space in my apartment to exercise, so I run. You need NOTHING to run besides some sneakers and some sweat pants and a road.

I do skip breakfast cause I usually wake up late from being up all night finishing some projects. I can probably reschedule the projects and start waking up early, so I can eat breakfast and exercise in the morning. s

I need a very effective exercise routine and a meal plan to stick to. I have already cut out soft drinks and that has made a difference. I'm now trying to cut any liquid besides water, and I do keep a water bottle with me at all times. I
    I guess I'll get down to the main point, 1. the closest gym is about an hour from where I live so that's a no go. 2. I need a really effective exercise routine, 3. A meal plan that is easy,, not boring, and not going to break my wallet.

You have good ideas here, now do them :) Skip the gym, find something else that works. #3 - PLAN AHEAD. it helps when you're hungry to know what to make and have the stuff on hand. Good luck !
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy can be just as cheap as eating fast food. Here's one of my favorite dinners:

Cut a sweet potato into cubes, cover with olive oil, dash of onion powder, dash of garlic powder, lots of chipotle pepper powder.
    Roast in oven for 20 mins @ 425
    Cook up 2 over-easy eggs
    Throw the eggs on the potatoes
    Top with 2 tablespoons of salsa
    Throw on an avocado if you're feeling really crazy.

All that said, this meal costs me:
    $.70 - sweet potato
    $.66 - 2 organic eggs
    $.26 - Frontera Salsa
    $.20 - organic olive oil, spices, etc.
    That's $1.87 for a super tasty dinner that's loaded with fiber, and you can add an avocado for about a buck. Way cheaper, tastier & healthier than a Big Mac.

You can do it! Just be creative in finding recipes you like that use low-cost but high-nutrition ingredients.
  • shel0158
    shel0158 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Morton, you are out of excuses! (unless you have bad knees or something, then I got nothing)

I have bed knees, and I do her workout. It doesnt hurt my knees. (Leslie Sansone)
    I do the 3 fast miles - walk away the pounds. It doesnt require alot of room to move either. Just enough to move 4 steps forward, and 2 steps to the side. here is the link to the one I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXtRCuOeEzI
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    What you need my friend is a lifestyle change. There were A LOT of negatives in your post. We all have challenges that act as obstacles. The same ones you mentioned.

I lost almost 50 lbs from watching my diet and taking regular walks in my neighborhood. I dropped the first 20 or so in the dead of winter when it was freezing cold and there was ice and snow all over. But, it was important enough to me to get my butt moving. On that note, there are plenty of FREE workout videos on Youtube. I really like Jillian Michaels kickboxing. Also if you have a Wii or a Xbox there are some great "games" that get the heart rate up.

Eating on the go can be worked around too. Pack a sandwich, or a salad. Skip the french fries and bring along snacks like nuts. Soft drinks are the enemy. Water is your friend.

If you are really determined to get into better shape, you will take the neccessary steps to make that happen. The best advice I can offer is . . . . break a sweat every day, and do not put anything into your mouth that does not have some nutritional value.

Oh and the most important thing I can say is Do. Not. Give. Up!!!! If you have a bad day, get over it and get right back on the horse. Nuff said!
  • Ninetta
    Ninetta Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So I weight 259 lbs and I'm 6'2'', have tried losing weight for awhile. But it seems I can never stick to anything.....
    I used to weight 267 lbs so I guess I'm better than I used to be.

But I just seem to never get the energy to workout and since my family and I are super busy, we usually end up eating junk, fast food, or the crappy stuff you add water to and voila it's supper.
    Of course as some of you who are reading this may know, is that healthy food isn't the cheapest in the world. If you know of any brands that are a good deal please tell me, I would love to pick some up to swap out the junk with.

If there is any tips that you know of, that would help me in my journey please feel free to tell me! I am always open to listen to new ideas or suggestions! :)

Thanks for your time ^_^

Hello,

As far as cheap healthy food goes here are some suggestions:

1. Buy items that are on SALE only
    2. Purchase some cream of wheat - 3 tbsp for breakfast everyday - Add a frozen cup of blueberries = 240 calories
    3. Buy less meat - it's expensive, plain and simple
    4. Stock up on black beans, kidney beans, etc when they are on sale and stock your pantry - There are tons of delicious meals that you can make with beans, lentils, quinoa, etc and they always go on sale!
    5. Check your local flyers every week for the best deals on produce and other whole food items you can freeze and stock

These are just a few items to start with and like exercise you will need to make the time to dedicate yourself to healthy living. If that means that you need to cut back on a few things that are making you so busy then do so until you can get yourself on track.

And once you stop buying all other "instant" meals you'll find that you have more money to spend on better foods. This will take some time to get into a routine of new recipies. Get your family involved with cooking and buy yourself a crock pot if you don't already have one!

Excercise: Everything can be done at home, create a space for yourself and use the outdoors.

Monday - Circuit Traning: Deltoids, Chest, Biceps, Abs, Quadriceps + 30 Min of Cardio (Walk)
    IE: Modified Push-up, Burpy, Side Lung, Dumbbell Chest Press

Tuesday - Circuit Training: Back, Triceps, Butt, Hamstrings, Calves + 30 Min Cardio (Walk)
    IE: Dumbbell Row, Jumping Rope, Step Plyos, Bench Dip, Superman

Wednesday - Rest/30 Min Low Intensity Walk

Thursday - Circuit Training: Deltoids, Chest, Biceps, Abs, Quadriceps + 30 Min of Cardio (Walk)
    IE: Squatting Lateral Step Plyos, Pelvic Thrust, Lateral Shoulder Raises, Dumbbell Curls, Jumping Jacks

Friday - Back, Triceps, Butt, Hamstrings, Calves + 30 Min Cardio (Walk)
    IE: Bent Over Shoulder Raise, Dumbbell Triceps Extension, Zottoman Curls, Mountain Climbers, Reverse Grip Curl

Saturday - 60 Min Brisk Walk

Sunday - Rest

Do the best that you can but REALLY TRY. You have to find the time, everyone is busy in life but if you really want it, you'll look up these excercises, start looking at your flyers for deals on WHOLE FOODS and recipies, and get yourself into a healthy routine that fits your life.

I KNOW you can do this, no question....can't wait to see the results :)
  • MortonDCat
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice. When I got done reading these I had a realization and i got up and just did exercises, and tonight I'm going to look at a exercise video of Richard Simmons and do that. Can't wait for tomorrow so I can try some meal ideas, and talk about it to my mom who wants to get in on it to about making healthier foods.
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    YES! Morton! This is what we're talking about! It's actually pretty fun once you get going, isn't it?! Make it like a challenge or a game instead of a chore, you'll be feeling better in no time flat! Congrats on your first moves!