I'M NOT A FAN OF VEGGIES, HELP !!!!!!

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Try grilling your vegetables. I used to despise the taste of asparagus. Once I had them fresh off the grill with some sesame oil, salt and pepper on them, I was hooked! Broiling them until they get a little crispy works as well.
  • narciso82
    narciso82 Posts: 1 Member
    You should be learning to eat, and teach your body what it should like.

Best way is to reprogram, just like baby's. Try one new veggie at a time, like pick one for a week. Learn about it, cook it in different ways, try new tastes.

Best to start with on season veggies, they taste the better.

http://theyearinfood.com/2011/03/the-march-seasonal-food-guide.html

mix everything up in a drink will result in a very alien taste, which you're not used to.
  • I'm a veggie lover but one of my toddlers isn't so I have gotten used to "hiding" veggies or doing my best to make the appealing in different meals. Here's a few of his favs

-Smoothie: 1 cup spinach (try 2 for adults) 1 frozen banana, 1 cup frozen berries, 1/4-1/2 avocado, chia seeds, flax seeds and hemp hearts, almond milk

-Sweet Potato Coins - Thinly slice 1 medium sweet potato, add 1-2 tsp of olive oil and seasoning (rosemary, or cumin/turmeric or cinnamon and a little bit of brown sugar) and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, flip once half way through. You can do the same but cut them into little fries instead.

-Roasted Veggies - Sweet Potatos, Red Peppers, Onions, Squash, Carrots and Asparagus - Toss in Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar with a touch of ground pepper. bake at 375 for about 30 minutes (i think)

-Stir Fry - Chicken breast with thinly sliced carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, red peppers, broccoli, cashews and pineapple. For sauce I use tamari sauce, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar and a little corn starch to thicken it.

Hope some of those help :)
  • hunniebunn
    hunniebunn Posts: 91 Member
    Yes and no. When you juice you lose the fibre aspect since the extra nutrients are in the pulp. I have read (and heard) that you should still try to get some whole veggies in in order to get the extra nutrients in.
    Bolthouse Farms (sold at walmart in Canada), is a product that is a juiced smoothie. For example, the Pomegranate juice contains 5-1/4 pomegranates and is only 3-3/4 servings of fruit in a 450mL bottle. To reach the 8-9 servings of fruits and veggies (which is defined as ~1/2 cup of whole fruits/veggies) you would have to drink 1,080mLs (or 12.6 juiced pomegranates...which can get expensive). My thoughts are always to eat the veggies and fruits you like, and juice the rest.
    And juicing is best done on an empty stomach, or it can cause some upset. Some people will have their juices in the morning when they wake up. I personally use mine mid-day after a few hours of not eating (to have a snack).
    Hopefully this helps a bit :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    you don't need to radically change your diet to succeed at fat loss.

For fat loss you need a sensible calorie deficit, i.e. eat less than you burn off.

For health you need to ensure you're getting adequate amounts of the following: protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins (including both water soluble and fat soluble vitamins), minerals, fibre and water. You also need to do exercise for health, including working your muscles hard enough to protect you from losing muscle mass as you lose fat.

Once you have provided your body with those things you can eat whatever you like so long as it doesn't take you over your calorie goal.

If you hate vegetables, don't force yourself to eat them. The main reason why people fail at fat loss is they can't stick to the programme in the long term. Therefore, you need to find a way of eating and exercising that you *can* stick to. If you hate veggies, then find other ways to get the nutrients in them, which are vitamins (mostly the water soluble ones), minerals and fibre. What your body needs is specific nutrients, not specific foods.

By all means eat any vegetable foods, (or tricks like hidden vegetables in foods) that you enjoy eating, and there may be enough of these to give you all the nutrition you need. My point is that you don't have to force yourself to eat food you don't like to succeed, there's always something else that can give you the same nutrients.
  • beaklet50
    beaklet50 Posts: 4 Member
    A great way of incorporating veg into meals is to grate it (this was a tip from my doctor in how to introduce more fibre into my diet). I grate carrot and corgette into mince dishes and it's barely noticible, you could also incorporate grated veggies in curries etc. Soups that are liquiized are also a good way to disguise them and so easy to make with a hand blender these days (taste so much better than canned soup too). It may be worth looking online as I am sure there are a lot of parents out there that regularly disguise veg so that their children eat more healthily. Good Luck.
  • wen1965
    wen1965 Posts: 6
    The last meatloaf I made contained grated carrot - it is sweet and helps the meatloaf hold together, onion, celery, capsicum, zucchini, tomatoes, pinenuts veal, pork and beef. (I've frozen the bit that didn't fit in the pan as hamburger patties)

My bolognese sauce has a base of carrot, celery and onion, mushrooms, tomato and zucchini a long with pork and beef.

The advantage of being a Mum, you are always looking for ways to get more veggies into the meals!
  • middleton110
    middleton110 Posts: 22 Member
    I wasn't too big a fan of veggies either, actually. Not sure where it changed in there, but I'd say keep trying prep styles until you really decide you don't like the veggies - vary the ratios too. Maybe you can tolerate eggplant if it's got lots of onion. I dunno. But try grilling, steaming, and roasting too. You might find that as you're trying it, the taste grows on you.

A couple ideas: overload your meals with spices or herbs if you're trying a new veggie. Might help you eat them if you can't taste them as well, and as you get more used to them being there, you may find yourself decreasing the spices. I've found asian, indian, and mexican to be helpful with this. Also, taking a look at all the nutritional benefits vs. caloric intake has helped me develop a love of veggies.

To be honest, I think the worst thing to do is go in thinking, "I added X vegetable and I know I'm going to hate it." Keep an open mind... you might find your really like a vegetable if you really give it a chance. My sister won't even touch a piece of lettuce, when really, iceberg is not terrifying on the veggie-taste spectrum. Try viewing veggies as a sort of adventure-challenge... who knows if you'll like it? :)

Try the sweeter veggies first (carrots, ripe bell peppers, etc.) and then move to the stranger ones (kale, brussels). You can also try making dips (e.g. homemade baba ganoush, carrot-based spread) and using them on sandwiches with some sprouts or something. You could also try mixing them in with a veggie you do like... carrot-sweet potato mash or spinach-topped mashed potatoes to give you a part of your dinner to really look forward to.

Despite learning to love veggies the last 3 years, I still kind of hate brussels, so don't feel defeated if they're on your refuse-to-eat list. Those tiny cabbage-thingys are gross and never taste anything less than mostly disgusting.
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    why not start basic food given to babies (their first food)... carrot and apple (combined together) - steamed and then put it in a processor. Then eat it or add yoghurt for sweeter taste.

Progress from there..
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    drink whole vegetable and fruit juice. done.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    My mom and I eat baby foods, brought from any store. Id rather eat my vegetables whole, but sometimes ill get the mixed vegetable baby food and dump it over pasta with some tomato sauce. You cant even taste the veggies mixed with it
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Have you tried roasting your vegetables? It honestly changes them up and you might be surprised. I've never been a huge fan of cooked veggies either but I've found that roasting them in my oven has turned me in to a fan of even brussels sprouts.

No I haven't how can I do that, like what temp, how long what kind of spices can I add or not ?

I just have absolutely NOOOO idea about veggies lol .

My fav way to have broccoli, asparagus and baby brussel sprouts is to toss them with a light coating of olive oil, cracked pepper and garlic, then put them on broil for 5-7 minutes. Very nice flavor, easy, and even my super picky son likes it this way... well not the brussel sprouts :wink:

Another way that I sneak spinach into things for the baby, chop it super fine and add it to any pasta dish we are having.

Then if you are a big fruit lover, try a spinach salad with fresh berries, mandarin oranges and chopped walnuts. You can use a vinagrette dressing if you want, but I typically don't use anything because it is so naturally sweet with the chopped berries. Super yummy!
  • If you cut out refined sugars (cupcakes, candybars, muffins, most breads) your tastebuds will change. My best friend went sugar free for 2 months and at the end, tried to eat a donut and just about barfed lol. She also started liking things she'd never liked before, such as celery, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, asparagus, etc.
  • Ketzalitzli
    Ketzalitzli Posts: 15 Member
    I saw this on WebMD on tips to sneaking veggies into your diet. Thought it was helpful.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/top-10-ways-to-sneak-vegetables-into-your-diet
  • rtrevisano22
    rtrevisano22 Posts: 5 Member
    I HATE Vegetables as well!! I've recently been incorporating them into my diet however, I add about a cup to my smoothies that I make it can be anything green ive used Kale and spinach and that works fine. I can also tolerate steamed broccoli, you can steam it with chicken broth and it adds a little bit of flavor. Smoothies are the best way to add it because the yummy fruit is a disguise!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    I never used to like vegetables, but I said to myself that I would try things at least 3 times. If I didn't like it the first time, I would prepare it twice again in different ways. I did this with Kale. At first I tried Kale chips and didn't like them, then I sauteed it with red onions, mushrooms, olive oil, salt and pepper and actually did like it.

I also found that cutting up or shredding veggies into my eggs in the mornings got me to try a lot of things I didn't like. Zucchini shredded in a spiralizer and used in place of pasta is delicious. Look up Zoodles. Things like that really got me to try more veggies. One thing at a time. I never used to like salad either, but now sometimes I crave it with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Just keep trying!

Things I tried and liked:
    Spaghetti squash
    ALL kinds of peppers
    Carrots
    Kale
    Red Onions
    Brussels sprouts (I stared eating baby brussels sprouts by Green Giant with butter sauce, then went to broiled with some bacon, and now I can eat them just with salt)
    sweet potatoes (I just pop them in the microwave for 7 mins and sprinkle it with salt)
    baby spinach
    arugala
    carrots
    avocado
    grape tomatoes
    A lot of other things that I'm probably forgetting.

Another thing that got me started was "hiding" veggies in food. It was sort of a gateway towards eating whole veggies.

OH, and one other thing! FROZEN veggies are SO much better than canned! I never thought I liked veggies because my mom always bought canned and they were so mushy, I couldn't bring myself to eat them.
  • DukeCityDan
    DukeCityDan Posts: 33 Member
    two words...

Spaghetti Squash :)
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    I don't like vegetables at all either! I actually read a scientific study that apparently 25% of the population has taste buds that are especially sensitive to bitterness and those are the people who don't like vegetables.

I get around it by doing a green smoothie every morning which takes care of at least 6 servings of fruits/vegetables. You can't taste the vegetables at all. My two favourite recipes are:

Chocolate banana peanut butter smoothie

5 cups kale or spinach (just pack it down as much as you can - you'd be surprised how much you can fit in a blender)
    1 frozen banana
    1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 cups unsweetened almond milk
    2 tablespoons peanut butter

Tastes just like dessert!

If you want something a bit sweeter try:

5 cups kale or spinach
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    2 cups unsweetened almond milk

There are some vegetables I don't mind when sauteed in some garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil - try asparagus or mushrooms, the strong taste of garlic tends to overwhelm the bitterness.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    I've found blanching most veggies makes them hold a bunch more flavor. just bring to a boil then go right from the boiling water to COLD water, drain & your done. some of my favorite veggies are:
    broccolii
    asparagus (i thought i wouldn't but OH YA - only fresh tho non of that canned stuff)
    brussel sprouts(add salt & pepper & a lil fake butter)
    broccoli, you can make a puree & add some dry seasonings too, makes a mean psuedo mashed tater
    mushrooms, only raw for me on those
    celery (add some natural pb)
    carrots,w/ ff italian (though that still baffles me)
    sweet potato fries... these are the poo!!! and if you cook them a lil longer than supposed to, they get sweeter...
    add chicken to frozen veggie mixes & add terriyaki sauce (sodium+++ in there)

and worse case scenerio, get those v8 drinks w/ fruit & veggies - you may need to revamp your macros but i'm a IIFYM kinda girl, so i'd adjust to accomodate.
  • kathynavarro2014
    kathynavarro2014 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm really curios to know if you've ventured out yet and tried anything.

I've been putting zuchinni, yellow squash, onions, bell peppers and asparagus on my BBQ grill for a few years now. But my foray in to roasted veggies in my oven was through a very basic recipe from Ina Garten from the Food Network:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.html

It just gave me basic idea however her recipe doesn't indicate it, the picture shows the brussels cut in half. For my own taste, I use just a tiny bit of course salt sprinkled on top before putting them in the oven. I also think her recipe cooks them too long. But again, it's personal preference. I also add peeled cloves of garlic because 1) I love garlic and 2) it becomes sticky and sweet.

From there, I've ventured in to roasting a wide variety of vegetables in my oven.

I'm love to hear how you're doing and what you've tried.