What do you think of this day of food?

Options
2»

Replies

• mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    And if you haven't already, you should set a custom goal.
    I tried using MFP's "guided" goal, and it was miles off. Put me on 1340 kcal. Quite the deficit for a guy.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    And if you haven't already, you should set a custom goal.
    I tried using MFP's "guided" goal, and it was miles off. Put me on 1340 kcal. Quite the deficit for a guy.

Ah, yeah, my 1300 is a custom goal. MFP putt me at 1200. I'd prefer to eat more, but I just wasn't losing for some reason. Once it starts coming off again (I just started with 1300 this week), I'm going to try to bump it up, or at least be sure to eat ALL of my exercise calories back. I haven't been all that hungry this week, but I'm definitely not opposed to eating more if I can still lose.

I got the 1300 from calculating my TDEE and subtracting 15%, and then adding a few calories.
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're all set then. :D

Just keep in mind that, over time, you may have to adjust your calories, as your TDEE may not be completely accurate. It is calculated after all. But you can only really gauge that after a while.

In the end, empirical evidence > calculations. :)

For maximum scorekeeping, weigh often and take averages. :P
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I would be aiming for that sort of protein level or higher every day (1g/lb of lean body mass, or perhaps put it at 1g/lb of weight at or a bit below your target weight.)
    This will help to retain muscle mass.

One day's food is never make or break. Despite people going on about "RDA" and so on, your body is rarely that precise. It does make sense to aim to hit the macros on a daily target there or abouts, but it doesn't bother me if I'm a bit over one day and a bit under the next, say.
    I try to add a reasonable bit of low calorie salad like lettuce and tomato to my food and often chuck in various fruit etc to add some micronutrients.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I upped my calorie goal, added some protein and a serving of veggies. is this a little better?

Breakfast
    1 cup oatmeal made with unsweetened almond milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon
    1 cup Truetin protein powder with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 large travel mug coffee with sugar free creamer and splenda
    1 16.8 oz bottle of water

Lunch
    1 medium banana
    1 light string cheese
    1 hard boiled egg
    1/2 16.8 oz bottle of water

Snack
    1 2.4 oz pouch chunk light tuna in water
    24 special k multigrain crackers
    1/2 16.8 oz bottle of water

Dinner
    Steak taco with thin-cut top sirloin, yellow rice, fat free refried beans, and 2% mild cheddar on a flour tortilla

Snack
    Handful of baby carrots with 1 tbsp light Ranch dressing

Gross calories: 1458
    Burned calories: 210
    Net calories: 1248
    *112 g protein!

So, I kept my goal at 1300, but I'm making sure I get as close to 1300 NET as I possibly can, instead of eating 1300 and burning calories I don't plan to eat back.

Better?