Dinner ruins my calorie goal for the day

Options
Im doing so well each day until it comes to dinner when I don't seem to know how to make a meal under 500 cals, breakfast and lunch are easy to make around the 300cal mark. Anyone got any dinner suggestions where I can have decent portions? Im sure this is just an upbringing thing where I expect dinner to be a big hearty meal. I cook for myself and husband every night so want something a typical man would enjoy aswell as I don't fancy cooking two separate meals

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Stir fry, fajitas, pork chops, fish, salad with chicken. Skinnytaste and allrecipes have tons of recipes and include nutrition information.

Rigger
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I jsut had a full chicken breast, ff and veggies...under 400 cal actually
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It is hard because I'm sorry - one cup of spaghetti is just not nice. I want one large plate, and seconds. I want mac and cheese - and not 1/2 cup, lol.

I cook the same things I always did and eat a small serving but I make better veggies now and eat a truly astonishing amount of them so I fill up. I eat a lot of spinach too because it is nutrient dense and keeps me full much longer than other types of salads. Even at that they are usually closer to 600 on a good day.

I spend a lot more at the grocery store but I don't do a gym membership so I try and tell myself it all evens out - which of course it doesn't at the end of the budget because I never did have a gym membership but whatever I need to tell myself right? hahahaha

ETA: I also cook for my kids and am not making something different. They can eat their weight in spaghetti and meatballs and they would all blow away in a strong breeze so it is a good thing for me to fix - I just have to be way more careful and it has for sure been a process for me - one that I am still working on.
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I began eating a late afternoon high protein snack, and by the time dinner rolls around, Im not as hungry. If I am super hungry at dinner, I eat a double serving of veggies first(I find eggplant or broccoili really filling), then I eat dinner. Good luck to you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The way my wife and I do it is that I have more and she has smaller portions of whatever it is that we're having for dinner. it's not so much that some recipe has to be under 500 calories or whatever...manage your portions. It is likely that your husband will not be satisfied with some smallish dinner that is under 500 calories...it has to be controlled by portion.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    personally i have the same issue. i make healthy dinners but they are my highest calorie meal of the day. so i eat low calorie breakfast and lunches and one snack in the afternoon (sometimes) and usually have no issues getting a nice dinner and even a 100-150 "treat" in after dinner.

my 1200 day

i do 150-200 breakfast.
    200-300 calorie lunch (usually small portion of leftovers)
    100 calorie PM snack

600 calories left for dinner. if i dont need a snack obviously i have more for dinner.
  • ojosh089
    ojosh089 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to eat in between meals. Between Breakfast & Lunch, Lunch & Dinner. Keeps my hunger in check and by the time dinner comes around it's usually and medium portion. I like to stick with fruits and nuts. but of course don't go nuts with the nuts since it's easy to eat a crap load.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    eat dinner in the morning
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 500 for dinner, too, here's what I had this week:
    Sunday-ribs, beans and slaw
    Monday-bacon/egg/potato on tortilla with salsa
    Tuesday-6 oz pork chop with salad and rice
    Wednesday-spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic toast
    Thursday-shrimp tacos

If I think it going to be higher, I just run for 30 minutes and that gives me a little room.
    Last week I crockpotted a bunch of frozen chicken breasts and shredded it so I could have chicken tacos, chicken tortilla soup, bbq chicken sandwiches, chicken pot pie, and chicken salad on pita (I make it with greek yogurt instead of mayo). I can also add it to vegetarian frozen meals like fettucine alfredo. the meat in lean cuisine is gross, but I like the pasta dishes ok and you can add your own meat.
    Also, breakfast food for dinner is easy-a crustless quiche is really low in cals. Broth-based soups are too.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Save more calories for dinner?

I have an office job, so I really don't use as much energy in the mornings as I do in the evenings. I started eating a smaller breakfast and mid-morning snack so that I could eat a lot more at night.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    have you tried going for a 45 min walk? that can free up some calories for dinner.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Tilapia filet OR Turkey Burger (no bun) with pico de gallo topping
    Steamed Broccoli
    Piece of French Bread w/ tbsp butter

Yum.
  • iAmStarStuff27
    iAmStarStuff27 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Front load calories. more lean protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise, then you can eat more than 500 cal for dinner
  • dawnLegend
    dawnLegend Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The simplest method by which to increase the quantity of calories you can eat for dinner involves reducing intake earlier in the day. I eat 2 meals daily, with the first being relatively small (~200 calories makes for a reasonable meal). If I feel the need to consume something during the day, I'll grab a yogurt. This strategy makes dinner feel significantly more rewarding/filling.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I make chili every week, freeze it, and have a serving for dinner. A cup and a half is about 400 calories (but yours may be different -- just add the calories from all your ingredients together and divide by 400 to see how many servings yours makes).
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Dear lord for sure do this. I don't know how you can live on the 1200. That's what my dinner is tonight. The 45 minute walk would have to give you another 150 if you kept at a decent pace.
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    It's pretty easy to have a full meal for 500 calories. I get most of my recipes from skinnytaste.com or cookinglight.com. They are always filling, full of flavor and within my calorie range! I will also usually take my leftovers to work the next day for a healthy lunch.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    No... poor planning does that.
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    Dear lord for sure do this. I don't know how you can live on the 1200. That's what my dinner is tonight. The 45 minute walk would have to give you another 150 if you kept at a decent pace.

lol I do exercise don't worry, normally a 1 mile fast paced or 2 mile slow paced jog, its just on the off day when I don't I feel like im screwed for dinner. I need to start weighing my food actually because with all the meals everyone has listed seem like wayyyy over 500 cals to me