How many times a week am I allowed to eat bread?

Options
I'm a sucker for bread, pasta, cheese, any kind of carbs! At the moment I'm allowing myself bread every other day and trying to have it only once in a day. Is this okay for weight loss? Should I be eating less?

My goal is to lose a stone and a half by summer, the end of May ideally! I'm 5.6 and currently weigh 11 stone 11lbs, which is well over my healthy weight, the nhs website says I should lose 2 stone!

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You can have bread whenever you like! As long as you are eating at a deficit of your maintenance calories you'll lose weight.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i eat bread or the like (tortilla/pita/etc) almost everyday and it does not hinder my weightloss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There is no rule in this RE.

I eat starches and bread and pasta and rice and potatoes, etc every single day.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I also eat bread, pasta, tortilla's, etc. every day and haven't had a single issue with the pounds coming off. I also drink a pop a day and usually get some ice cream or chocolate too.

It's more about what keeps you on track than anything else. If you eat at a deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    As many times as you want, while balancing your macros and maintaining your deficit.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    i eat bread everyday:):) sometimes twice a day
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like what everyone else said... keep within your calories and it's okay. I'd opt for whole wheat, whole grain options though just to make sure you're getting some nutritional value in there! :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You can have bread whenever you like! As long as you are eating at a deficit of your maintenance calories you'll lose weight.

THIS, ALL DAY LONG.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You can have bread 28 times per week.
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner plus one snack.

Bread isnt evil.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    you don't need to cut out bread, or anything for that matter. like other people have said, work it into your calories for the day. if you are wanting a lighter option, there are many types of weight watchers breads that are 100 cals. for 2 slices
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Unless you have insulin resistance/diabetes/PCOS/gluten allergy, there is no reason to cut out bread or anything else. Just maintain a reasonable calorie deficit.

btw - losing 1.5 stone (21 lbs) in 10 weeks is pushing it if you are only 2 stone overweight now. A reasonable rate would be 1 lb/week, slowing down to 0.5 as you get closer to goal. Really, only people with lots (100 + lbs) to lose can expect to see 2 lbs per week loss. Lose too fast and you lose muscle as well as fat, and are more likely to put it back on, binge (from having too much of a calorie deficit) etc. Slow and steady wins this race. If you MUST lose that 1.5 stone, then invent a time machine and start several months ago...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As all the above, no problem if it's fine for you - some feel bloated etc.

For me, if I'm going to have bread I mostly go for smaller slices with less calories because as I found the other day, I can easily eat a good many calories with a chunk of french-stick.

Normally I'd go for, as mentioned above, those that are around 50cal/slice.
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tried cutting out bread, but with the amount of intense workouts I do, I find I need it. Otherwise, I end up doing bad, lazy, slow workouts. As long as you're under the limit, I say carb up!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, pasta, or baked goods every day. Assuming no food intolerances there's no reason to cut it out.

For weight loss, calories are what matters.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Buy Sara Lee 45 calorie per slice bread.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have to consume 1700 calories to lose weight. If I ate 1700 calories worth of bread, I'd still lose weight.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I eat all the good stuff on a daily basis... bread, potatoes, ice cream blizzards, pasta, cake... you name it, I eat it!

No reason you can't, as long as it fits in your calorie goals.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    allowed?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    As often as you can fit it into your macros. I probably have it every day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Buy Sara Lee 45 calorie per slice bread.

True but it tastes like sadness. :flowerforyou: