Avocado

Options
Angela937
Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
So, avocado is loaded with fat. I was surprised when I looked it up, because it is suppose to be a "super food." So, what is good about avocado, and is it worth eating all the fat?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is good for you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Avocado is healthy fat.

Avocados are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins C,K, folate, and B6.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's nothing unhealthy about fat. Just weigh out your portion, since avocados are very calorie dense, and enjoy.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It tastes good, and it's not even that full of fats. You probably won't eat a whole avocado, even though I guess you could if it could fit your macros... I eat it very often, and unless I'm eating french fries it perfectly fits in my daily intake. :)
  • evilpixiegrrr
    Options
    Yes, eat avocados, olive oil, and nuts. Naturally occurring fat is healthy. Avoid butter, mayonnaise, vegetable/canola oils and shortening.

Also, shortening is PURE partially-hydrogenated oils and they are terrible for you. You're better off using lard, because it's natural.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    avocados are my new favortie food..

on sandwiches in salads etc..nom nom

you need fat in your diet...
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There's nothing unhealthy about fat. Just weigh out your portion, since avocados are very calorie dense, and enjoy.

this. i am just finishing up a WHOLE avocado with my dinner. yum yum.

good fats are very healthy, filling, and flavorful!
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I google everthing, so I recommend googling avocado to see just how beneficial it is. It really does have some great health benefits especially when added to salsas and salads. They taste great too!
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love avocado, and have managed to make it a regular part of my diet and still lose weight! That being said, I still maintain a calorie deficit and eat it in moderation. There is no such thing as a miracle food, but the 'super food' label denotes the fact that it is nutrient dense and full of GOOD fats. Fats are essential for health, in moderation, and keep our skin/eyes/brain healthy. Plus good fats actually help prevent heart disease. Eating fat isn't going to instantly make you fat, and cutting all fat out isn't going to magically make you lose weight - having a calorie deficit is the way to weight loss.

Some people (myself recently included) do control their macros (fats, carbs, proteins) ratios, especially as they get closer to their goals or have more specific goals in mind. But thats a whole different kettle of fish, and not something you need to worry about if you are at the start of your journey!

ENJOY THAT AVO!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So, avocado is loaded with fat. I was surprised when I looked it up, because it is suppose to be a "super food." So, what is good about avocado, and is it worth eating all the fat?

dietary fat is an essential macro-nutrient...dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Also, the fat in avocados is primarily monounsaturated which is extremely good for the heart. They are also loaded with fiber and other essential vitamins and minerals.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Blend avocado with cocoa powder, a splash of milk, and honey. The best mousse you'll ever taste!
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    slightly off topic but I decided to check out the calories and such here and man do they differ per entry, like a lot.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

dietary fat is an essential macro-nutrient...dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Also, the fat in avocados is primarily monounsaturated which is extremely good for the heart. They are also loaded with fiber and other essential vitamins and minerals.

You forgot the most important part - they taste good. Especially when used for guacamole. Mmm.
    But yea, all of this is what is so good about them.
  • janelann222
    Options
    I love avacados and they have found their way back into my weekly diet. They are excellent for your skin. When I was very trim and in shape I have 2 avacados per week. Good fats help you lose weight IMO.
  • PattyManuel
    PattyManuel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 2 salads a day, and I replace my dressing with 1/4 of a medium fully ripe avocado, cut in small chunks. I love the texture, the creaminess and the flavor, especially when I lightly dust my salad with a small dash cayenne pepper.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Avocado spread is a great alternative to mayo on sandwiches. Avocados are also very high in potassium which is great stuff for muscles and organ function.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    slightly off topic but I decided to check out the calories and such here and man do they differ per entry, like a lot.

That is why I always check the calories on here then match it to the closest MFP entry: http://www.calorieking.com.au/

then convert it from kilojoules to calories on here: http://www.bupa.com.au/health-and-wellness/tools-and-apps/tools-and-calculators/calorie-converter

but I'm sure there must be sites where you don't have to convert but I trust this site.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Try "raw avocado usda"

Double check against the USDA database here:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Avocados are actually the reason I found this database in the first place.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Use the entry for Avocados - Raw that does not have the asterisks by it. That is the entry that is not user submitted and is based on USDA nutrition data.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It's also a good source of fiber. Doesn't taste like it has a good amount of fiber, but it does.