FROM HALF MARATHON TO FULL RUNNING MACHINE (lots of pics)

Options
RyanDryFly
RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
This is my first post. I’m not done and still have a long way to go but wanted to share the success of reaching a huge milestone during my journey. Reading other people’s success stories has inspired me to keep going and not give up. It’s because of the encouragement from my many great friends on MFP that I’m able to posting this. Through their support, I’ve lost almost 60 lbs, gain a ton of confidence and become a running machine.

Like a lot of people, I was scared into weight loss. My doctor told me I was pre-diabetic and she wanted to start tracking my food intake. She suggested MFP as a means of recording what I ate…she actually put the app on my phone while I was in her office. This was the wakeup call I needed to get started. I was too embarrassed to record all the foods I wanted to eat so I made a change and ate at the deficit calculate by my new MFP app. After two weeks of recording, I sent my doctor a copy of the food I ate. She said it looked good but that I needed to also get frequent exercise.

I started to walk 1 to 2 miles, 3 times a week. When I first started, I had a lot of pain in my feet and back. I could go maybe a half mile at a really slow pace then I’d have to sit on the curb until the pains subsided a little. I did this for a month and worked up to walking 3 miles without breaks. Then I decided to jog. I remember every detail when I jogged my first full mile without stopping…I put my hands up in the air like I was crossing a finish line (the neighbors must have thought I was a crazy nut).

One of my friends at work mentioned running the Dallas Half Marathon. Without thinking, I said I wanted to do it. The nervousness of whether I could even cross the finish line in the 4 hour time limit started to set in, forcing me to come up with a plan of how to get it done. I found a 12 week training program online and faithfully put in the miles, rain or shine. I celebrated every time my pace got better. I started out running 14 minute miles and gradually improved to 9 minute miles. It was a really big day for me when I ran 3 miles under 30 minutes…I started to feel like a runner. Looking at previous photos, I realized I had gone from a fat guy who could not even walk a mile to someone who was fit and could run a half marathon in 2 hours.

I was absolutely heartbroken when Dallas Half Marathon got canceled due to an ice storm the night before. The next day when the roads were clear I started my training for the Cowtown Half Marathon. I decided I would pick up the pace on my training in order to reach a goal of one hour and fifty minutes. I ended up with a chip time of 1:46:05.

Now for the pictures:

Here’s me on vacation a month before I started using MFP.
IMG_0382_zps860f5ef9.jpg

Start of the Fort Worth Cowtown Half.
755370_1004_0016_zps1d013d0f.jpg

Mile 7.
755345_1014_0017_zpsf51fdb12.jpg

Mile 8
755347_1016_0005_zps5a524f79.jpg
At mile 10 I pulled my hamstring and still had another 3 miles left. I knew my time was good and wanted to beat my goal of an hour fifty. It was tough to keep pushing, but I had worked hard to be a finisher and was going to get across that finish line even if I had to crawl. As I approached the finish line the pain of the race and the emotion of reaching one of my biggest milestones hit me all at once.

755380_1004_0036_zps66e3a6cb.jpg

755378_1118_0019_zpsad6f310c.jpg

755378_1118_0020_zps2564f183.jpg

755382_1019_0043_zpsfdce6234.jpg

I’ve been working hard to get my hamstring healed up for my next run this weekend in Sarasota, Florida. I’m shooting to break 1:45

I owe a great many thanks to my friends on MFP who have encouraged me and kept me accountable along the way. My biggest tip is to find some great friends on MFP and stay active and positive. The only thing that can prevent you from reaching your goals is not trying.

Thanks for reading!!!
~Ryan

Replies

• abbylbrown23
    abbylbrown23 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Awww that made me cry Ryan, happy tears of course. You are a true inspiration and I am glad to call you my MFP Friend! You are going to kill this run this weekend!!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    Fricking Ryan, got me all teary eyed! lol I'm beyond proud of you! I'm so happy I'm here with you on your journey and you were one of the people (also abby and mel lol) who got me thinking about running! I want you to know that! Your such an inspiration and your dedication and transformation has been AMAZING!! You push yourself more every day and your such an amazing person! I feel like I'M lucky to have a funny, dedicated and supportive friend on here like you!

YOU ROCK RUNNING RYAN!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Awesome and so inspiring Ryan. Good luck on your next run!!!!!
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I loved reading that!! You are truly and inspiration!! I'm so glad to have you in my corner as I begin my running journey! You rock!!!
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That made me cry (and I'm at work). Very inspiring indeed.
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!! I can't wait to post pictures from my next race.
  • wendyk673
    wendyk673 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love your story! I have registered to my first half in September! You are an inspiration to all!
  • Elainaf
    Elainaf Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats on running your fist half. The 2014 Cowtown was my first half marathon also, and now I'm hooked. Happy Running.
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Tears! Good job!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing inspiration! Congrats on all of your accomplishments! I'm striving to be able to run a half by the end of this year, hopefully... :indifferent: Keep up the awesome work! I was at Cowtown too -- but I was just a sign holder... :ohwell:
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Ryan, you are amazing, and you look great!!! Thanks for sharing a little of your journey with me. Wishing you much success for your next run.
  • JenniferARoss
    JenniferARoss Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success - so inspirational!! :smile:
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! And yes; you ARE an inspiration! I'm training for my first 1/2 in July, after enduring a year of miserable health problems that have sidetracked my running. I LOVE reading stories like yours: PERSERVERANCE!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    You are an inspiration!!
  • jacquiearchambault
    jacquiearchambault Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What an emotional and beautiful story of determination and achievement! Congratulations on your past and future successes as I know there will be many many more to come! :flowerforyou:
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    :sad: <--- me after reading that. Congratulations!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What a story. Congrats on your success. I hope you crush it in the race this week!
  • ripzone13
    ripzone13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Totally just choked up. Congrats, and good for you!
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I, too, was registered for the Dallas Half, was so upset when it got cancelled. And I also ran Cowtown! Welcome to Half Marathoning! It's ADDICTIVE!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!