Lighter Bake in recipes

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
I came across this by accident when at the store. I just wondered if anyone has used this and how their items turned out as opposed to when they used the butter or oil that was called for in the recipe.

I already use natural applesauce when a recipe calls for more than a tablespoon of oil so I would be using this to replace the butter in a cake or cookie recipe.

I do have a popular cookie recipe that has 3 sticks of butter in it, so using something like this would greatly reduce the calorie content (100 c/T for butter vs 35 c/T for lighter bake). That recipe makes a lot of cookies so each one is around 150 calories I believe, but still any little bit helps. I just wanted to get other's feedback on how it made their baked goods turn out.

Thanks for any input anyone has!!!

Replies

• Interalia
    Options
    Hi! Did you mean to attach a link? Sounds interesting...:tongue:
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just came across this in my Healthy Cooking magazine yesterday (Dec/Jan 2011 issue). This was the question and answer:

Dear Peggy:
    Do you have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that uses applesauce instead of margarine? I',m trying to cut some of the saturated fat in our diet.

Answer:
    First, I applaud you for trying to cut saturated fat. Unfortunately, though, making cookies with unsweetened applesauce as a fat substitute and keeping the same crispy exterior is very difficult. Applesauce has significantly more water than butter and margarine. Using it will most likely make your cookies spread, be too thin and have a cake-like texture. Instead of eating a mediocre cookie, it's best to treat cookies as what they are-an occasional indulgence. They're already preportioned into small sizes, so working full fat cookies into a healthy diet is just fine- as long as you keep moderation in mind.

Anyways, I always use regular butter and never tried applesauce because I use it as an indulgence also, but that's what the article said so I thought I'd pass it on.

Christy
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Ooooo, plums and apples ~ I'm thinking it's like a thick fruit butter~ think I'll look for it in the store and try it on a fruit bar receipe.
    Don't know if it would be good for crisp cookies tho...
  • utes09
    Options
    No I didn't mean to attach a link, but here is what Lighter Bake is:

http://store.sunsweet.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=store&Product_Code=260

I don't use applesauce to replace butter, I use it to replace oil.

I just wondered if anyone had used it in cookies or cakes and what their experience with it was. I think it's made from fruit puree.
  • utes09
    Options
    Ooooo, plums and apples ~ I'm thinking it's like a thick fruit butter~ think I'll look for it in the store and try it on a fruit bar receipe.
    Don't know if it would be good for crisp cookies tho...

It's in the baking section by the oil. I don't usually make my cookies crispy anyways. I like a gooey cookie :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it - thanks for posting. Prunes, huh? Well - I will have to give it a try!