Late eating, anyone else have trouble?

Options
Does anyone else have a problem with eating late? I can stick to a diet ALLLL DAYYY LONNGGGG but when it gets to be about 7pm, after I have dieted and worked out all day, I get really weak and find something to eat. This turns into an all-out kitchen war where I see how much I can make. What is some advice for a person like me, besides going to bed at 6pm?

Replies

• violetmaster
    Options
    Does anyone else have a problem with eating late? I can stick to a diet ALLLL DAYYY LONNGGGG but when it gets to be about 7pm, after I have dieted and worked out all day, I get really weak and find something to eat. This turns into an all-out kitchen war where I see how much I can make. What is some advice for a person like me, besides going to bed at 6pm?
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    i usually have a fruit and yogurt smoothie or a handful of nuts
    smoothie
    1/2 c dannon light and fit (i use vanilla)
    1/2 cup juice(i use light orange)
    1/2 cup fruit (i use a whole orange)
    4-6 ice cubes
    satisfies the craving for sweets and it takes a while to drink . hope this helps
  • fitzio1015
    Options
    try workin out in the am instead of at night...or munch on some fruits and veggies....i buy these chips called lite and fit....they actually arn't bad....eat a few of those and your good to go....just not a whole bag just like 1/2 cup or so....i am a huge fan of yogart.....and i never feel guilty...i could eat yogurt alll day long

good luck
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I have recently been drinking hot tea and it helps somewhat!
  • morrius
    morrius Posts: 16
    Options
    find a hobby or something to take up some of the time and keep your mind out of the kitchen. it can be anything that needs your attention to do, as easy as house cleaning, walking again, posting here or reading inspiration from other people here. also each time you find yourself on the snack attack trail grab a large glass of ice cold water and drink it fairly fast. this will give you a quick full sensation as well as being good for you.

just remember you are your best support as well, remind yourself of the hard work all day and that you wont let YOU let yourself down.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Practice spreading your calories out during the day so you can have a nice snack at night, plan for your snack at night since you know it's going to happen. In the end it's calories in/calories burned. Late night eating will not sabbotage your diet effort if you stick to your calories, I know because I work midnights half the week and days the other...I eat on a 24hour clock, I eat all day and all night and have had great success on this site with weight loss. Snack my friend and be happy just learn to save some of your calories for it....perhaps cutting 25-50 cals out of your other meals during the day? Just a thought, that's what worked for me.

Anne
  • morrius
    morrius Posts: 16
    Options
    good point deanea my wife does the same thing, she makes sure she leaves around 200 calories or more for snacks at night. most of the time she does not even use them, but she feels better knowing they are there if she felt the need for a snack.
  • violetmaster
    Options
    good idea. I just have that whole "no eating after 7pm" mentality that I have to break
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.
    What I do is enter my meals for the day in advance and see what I have left to work with.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    There's no physical advantage to stopping eating at 7pm (or any other time in the evening) except that it forces you to limit your calorie intake. Weight maintenance/loss/gain is a matter of "calories in" and "calories out". When I was on the 1200 cals per day, I had a Weight Watchers ice cream bar every night! As long as you monitor the number of calories you eat, you don't have to deprive yourself of treats.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There's no physical advantage to stopping eating at 7pm (or any other time in the evening) except that it forces you to limit your calorie intake. Weight maintenance/loss/gain is a matter of "calories in" and "calories out". When I was on the 1200 cals per day, I had a Weight Watchers ice cream bar every night! As long as you monitor the number of calories you eat, you don't have to deprive yourself of treats.

YES!!! :happy:

I eat at 10 or 11pm every night, *right* before bed. I always have cottage cheese because it contains casein, a slow digesting protein; it helps to preserve muscle mass while I'm in a fasted state over night. I suggest that you also try eating something high in protein and healthy fat, while low in carbs, because it will promote feelings of fullness.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There's been debates about this and I agree.
    I eat a snack before going to bed at night and I'm just fine... the problem is OVER EATING.
  • RiverCameron
    RiverCameron Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had this problem until I started tracking my food during the day and discovered that I was getting to the evening with, the first day, still 1,000 calories on the table. I was undereating all day and then totally blowing that on junk at night. I'm trying now to eat more during the day and so far it's working. I REALLY did not want to track my food but it's been such an eye opener.

Good luck,
    Rose
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i am not a good sleeper, so i always wake up and for some reason i always crave sweets in the middle of the night...what does this mean? i work out but ia m afraid that this habit is preventing weight loss. it is really frustrating that it erases all the work i had done all day whats the best way to stop?