Calling all 5'3" and 150 ish lb ladies

Options

Replies

• mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    hey!

i'm 5'3" and 163 currently, also 27 years old.
    last week when i started working out, i set a goal of eating 1600 cals a day.
    this week, after reading up more about exercise calories (new goal of actually eating them back), i've lowered my calorie intake (before exercise) to 1500....and sometimes i have a hard time eating that much!

who knew eating more = losing weight

ps i'm working out 6x/wk and my GW is 130
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'2 and 3/4:laugh: . . . so almost 5'3.
    My starting weight when I joined MFP end of April of this year was 164
    I ate 1200 calories up until just recently, I raised them back up to 1500-1600 because I am near my GW of 120.
    After eating roughly around 1200cal. for the last 7 months I have dropped 37lbs and weigh 127 now! Good luck :wink:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm a quarter-inch shy of 5'4" and 160 even. I'm aiming for 140 but more so for a lower body fat % - about 20. My job is active, as in I'm a closing serving 3-4x per week which is 8 hours of standing on my feet. I also try to work out every other day if not more (depending on my schedule). I'm set at 1600 but on days I work a double or close, I eat a couple hundred more calories IF I'm hungry.

On a sedentary lifestyle, I was eating 1400 calories, burning about 300-500 calories everyday and would eat most of those calories back.
  • VMDelatorre
    VMDelatorre Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 160ish...I'm doing 1200 cals a day! I barely started MFP this weekend, I look forward to see how this goes! We can do this!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and weigh 155 lbs, I'm trying to lose about 40 more lbs. I have to eat a very low amount of calories to lose weight since I'm at a desk job all day at work. But the plus side is that if I want more I just exercise however many that I want to eat! :)
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I tried eating more yesterday and the day before. I was closer to 1800 calories both these days and today when I got on the scale I gained 1.6 lbs! WTF???
    I think today and tomorrow I will try to eat 1500 (in the middle of what I was told by my doctor and what MFP has me set for) and see if that is any better. I am very mad that I gained. Stupid Doctor! But I know it has only been a few days so I guess I can't really tell yet anyway. It was hard to eat that darn 1800 and I felt like I was over eating, but it was healthy calories. But still, 600 "extra" each day is only 1200 over what I do most days and 3500 is a lb, I didn't eat that many over so I don't get it. Why would I have gained 1.6?
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I'll be here soon!! I"m working on the 150ish part. 3 more lbs to go!! See yah soon!!:bigsmile:
  • Debx12345
    Options
    Hi I'm 5'2" and 130, I wanted to lose 10 lbs so mfp set me to 1200, I would eat about this and then exercise earning about 250-300 cals back but didn't eat them. I lost nothing so set my goal to lose 1/2 lb a week and mfp set me to 1370 cals. I gained two pounds !! But stuck with it and try and eat near my net most days, and after two weeks I have lost back that two pounds and an extra half !! So I'm thinking 1200 was too low for me. I also use to feel blobby, but feel more slim now as well.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I tried eating more yesterday and the day before. I was closer to 1800 calories both these days and today when I got on the scale I gained 1.6 lbs! WTF???
    I think today and tomorrow I will try to eat 1500 (in the middle of what I was told by my doctor and what MFP has me set for) and see if that is any better. I am very mad that I gained. Stupid Doctor! But I know it has only been a few days so I guess I can't really tell yet anyway. It was hard to eat that darn 1800 and I felt like I was over eating, but it was healthy calories. But still, 600 "extra" each day is only 1200 over what I do most days and 3500 is a lb, I didn't eat that many over so I don't get it. Why would I have gained 1.6?

Two questions: How's your sodium? And your water level?

If you don't track sodium, I HIGHLY recommend it. And water is vital, especially if you consume too much sodium :)
  • Jennplus2
    Options

Two questions: How's your sodium? And your water level?

If you don't track sodium, I HIGHLY recommend it. And water is vital, especially if you consume too much sodium :)

I drink at least 4 bottles of 20+ oz a day and am always under on my sodium. I eat lots of veggies so fiber should be good as well. I walk 45-60 mins 5 days a week and do weight loss yoga 3-4 days a week.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I'm hoping to get down to 125-135 in time for my wedding in June 2011. I'm at 170 right now, so I have a ways to go!:-P I eat 1,200 net calories a day and go to the gym 3-5 days a week, doing home workouts on DVD or Wii when I can't get there.

Shannon
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am 5/2" and currently weigh 151; started at 192. goal weight is around 140 and eventually would like to firm up to a nice 20% body fat ratio at that weight.

MFP set my calories at 1200, which struck me as too low; I changed it to 1400 (plus exercise calories) and have been successfully losing an *average* of about a lb. a week. In practice, I rarely lose a pound in a week. My pattern seems to be to get stuck at a weight for about 3 weeks, maybe fluctuating a little, but less that 1/2 lb - then suddenly dropping 3 or 4 lbs. I don't do anything differently - it just seems to happen that way. So I've now lost 41lbs since Easter (which was April 4th).

,1800 seems rather high - I wonder whether your doctor was using a generic number that didn't take into account that you are female (guys get to eat more for the same weight...).

The best suggestion I've found is to eat a few hundred calories above your goal weight's BMR - just make sure you are not eating below your current weight's BMR - if you get too close to that number your weight loss will stop as your body tries to protect itself from starvation - your body doesn;t know whether you are starving to lose weight or because there is a famine...
  • Jennplus2
    Options
    Thank you greengold. I am also wanting to get to 20 % body fat. I have been doing 1350-1400 the last few days and that feels better than 1800. I was thinking he maybe thought I was burning more calories than I do? In any case, congrats on the 41 lbs! To eat a few hundred calories above your goal weight's BMR is a smart plan. How do I figure out the BMR of your goal weight again?
  • danalin26
    danalin26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 1/2 (ha) and 144lbs. I'm working my way down to 125-130. MFP just changed my calories yesterday to 1350. They were set at 1410. I'm also breastfeeding so I add in an extra 300. Most days I eat around 1400-1500 calories. I'm also working out vigorously 6-7 days a week. I've lost 22 pounds since August. Sounds like you have the right idea to meet in the middle of the 2 :)
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weight 153. I eat between 1200 and 1300 calories a day regardless of exercise. I eat some of my exercise calories but not all, and I don't always eat them. Thats just me though.
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sorry - I didn't check back in here for awhile! Here is a link to a good BMR calculator:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Also recommend this podcast - down-to-earth, good information, and they also post interesting links on their website...
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and was 175 lbs. when I began my weight loss journey last July. I weigh 127 now. I consumed between 1200-1400 calories 5x a week and roughly 2000 calories on weekends to prevent my body from getting used to my diet and cause "caloric confusion". It worked. I would still like to lose another 7 lbs. but have noticed that 1200-1400 is no longer getting me results. I have increased to 1300-1500 calories a day now.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion (didn't read everyone's posts so don't know if it's been said or not), but look into "calorie shifting".. sometimes that helps get people out of a plateau. It's basically just eating different calorie amounts each day but still netting the same amount at the end of the week. Obviously you would never go below 1200 calories a day but if what you're doing now isn't working it's always good to try something new! You can google "calorie shifting" and get quite a bit of results and there are also some forums on here about it but I don't know if it was called that or not.

Good luck!

Oh and I'm 5'4" - 147 lbs and I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day
  • sachakcollins
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 5'4, 147lbs. I just had my second baby 6 months ago. Right before I delivered, I was at 170lbs and so I'm doing pretty good but I still need to lose about 25lbs to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm finding this especially challenging because I'm breastfeeding. After my first child the breastfeeding helped me to shed the extra weight in no time flat, but this time... Not so lucky! I can't cut too many calories as cutting calories can cause toxins to pop up in breastmilk, so I have to really watch the quality of my calories, and not necessarily the number. I'm trying to exercise as much as I can at home, but it proves to be a little difficult as a stay-at-home Mom with two kids! LOL. Good luck! I'm right there with you!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Daily calories: 1300(without exercise)

End goal weight: 130-135

I am 5'3", 143.5, 29 years old
    1800 seems more maintenance to me...when I entered in my info for this site it tells me to eat 1200 to lose 1.5lbs a week. That's too low for me so I eat 1300 and workout almost every day (running, TurboFire, circuit training, Zumba...I do it all) I eat at least half (usually all) of my exercise calories back.

Do you eat pretty healthy? My biggest thing is to up my protein a bit and cut back on the sodium and sugar...it has really helped! I also eat small meals throughout the day, 200-300 cals/meal. :)

I hope things get back on track for you soon!