Oats in Protein Shake

Options
So, I've recently opted to drink a protein shake as a small meal replacement while I'm at school. To get my carbs and other vitamins I've been putting in oats. The only problem that I've had is that after sitting in my bag for about 3-4 hours the oats get a weird texture and the drink becomes very, very thick and unpleasant to drink. Does anybody have any ideas on how to solve this?

-> I have tried blending only the oats by themselves so make them into a sort of "Oat-Dust", so that this wouldn't happen , but it actually made it worse.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Oats absorb more the longer they sit in a liquid.......use less oats or add more liquid when your ready to use it.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Bring the shake and oats separate, then mix right before you're going to drink it.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is because oats soak up liquid and become mushy, so it's not surprising the shake is all thick and gross when you drink it a few hours later.

Maybe try keeping the oats in a separate container, and then when it comes to drinking the shake, add the dry oats and stir in. I kinda like my shakes chunky :P
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bring the shake and oats separate, then mix right before you're going to drink it.

Tee hee, great minds think alike.
  • Lemonshake
    Lemonshake Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Use oat milk instead?
    It's my milk of choice. Yum. I haven't noticed gruffness from it. But I tend to drink it right away.
    I get mine from the long life milk section in the supermarket but I know you can make it at home as well
  • ahmatowal
    ahmatowal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody :) I tried adding a little more water ( about 4-5 oz) and it worked perfectly! I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner...