Two weeks in and no progress :/

Options
2»

Replies

• lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You seem to be going quite a lot over on your sodium intake each day, so I would address that - sodium (salt) can make you retain water, and you don't appear to be drinking enough water to flush it out either. Ready meals are convenient and have all the calories worked out for you, but they are really high in salt so trying eating cleaner (i.e. home cooked meals with plenty of lean protein and fresh veggies).

But, like everyone else said, 2 weeks is nothing - this is a marathon not a sprint :-)
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Love that second graph,
  • amatolauren
    amatolauren Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    KEEP your head up result will come when you do keep looking at them ... if that makes since to you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you started working out your muscles are probably retaining water, so you may have lost fat but it is being masked on the scale by water retention.
  • Dan6000istheman
    Dan6000istheman Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree! Dont give up and you will see results!! Not everybody is the same!
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is the normal for people who are counting calories only. What your body needs is nutrition - especially micronutrients. When you are not getting all essential nutrients your body will not respond. It is designed to protect itself. Have you lost any inches?
  • GregHelton
    GregHelton Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am definitely NOT an expert. But I did lose over 50 pounds over 12 years ago and mostly kept it off since then (Gained 25 pounds in last couple of years, though. That's why I'm here now.).

When losing those 50 pounds and in keeping it off for over 10 years I found one thing to be true with every effort I made. I FELT better before I LOOKED better. As others have said, be patient. You're making positive changes in your life. FEEL good about that. Have faith in your efforts. They WILL be rewarded.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    1. Two weeks is not enough time to determine...well, anything.
    2. Starting (or intensifying) exercise will lead to a temporary weight gain that could easily mask any weight loss progress. Patience, this will go away.
    3. You are doing yourself no favors by eating less than the calorie target which already has a deficit built in and very likely is lower than ideal anyhow (given most people's inclination to select the maximum weight loss of 2 pounds/week even when it isn't advisable).
    4. Patience.

(Someone please drop the link to the "sexypants" thread. I don't have it handy.)

Here ya go (and some other helpful info as well);

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    Why the hell would you tell her not to exercise just to see a number move on the scale - that's completely asinine.

to determine if that's the problem obviously.

if you're not getting results, you shouldn't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results... i like a more logical approach, determine the root of the problem, is it water or is it something else?

in any case, you dont need to exercise everyday to lose weight. calm down, re-think it, you'll get it.
  • iAmStarStuff27
    iAmStarStuff27 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Normal...hear it all the time. keep at it.
  • jenniferalexander04
    Options
    I have been struggling - and I am seriously struggling. I finally upped my protein intake - A LOT. I am on Day 7 of supplementing my meals with very high protein drinks. I am not advocating meal replacement - just adding to it. I got the idea from my doctor who said to increase my protein by adding protein drinks and I was cruising the internet looking for advice on best protein drinks. On the GNC website I found a protein calculator. For my stats it says 141 g of protein a day - which seems REALLY high. But I did increase it to at least 90-100 grams a day and I have finally (and I mean after years of trying everything and being on the verge of surgery) seen results. I personally have enjoyed the GNC Total Lean 25 Drinks - but don't order them online. I ordered them over a week ago and they STILL haven't shown up. Good luck to you!
  • MindainVA83
    MindainVA83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for a month now, and haven't dropped a lot of weight, however, I have dropped inches. I really think it's that you're building muscle. Give it time. Keep it up!!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks, don't get discouraged.
    It took me almost 2 months to start seeing progress when I started on this site.

Just be diligent and patient and you will see results.

Read the threads that were linked they are super helpful.

Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for a month now, and haven't dropped a lot of weight, however, I have dropped inches. I really think it's that you're building muscle. Give it time. Keep it up!!

(I realize this myth will never die, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop fighting it. My intentions are noble and my cause is righteous.) I am at least 99.44% certain that her weight loss is not being masked by an increase in muscle...in two weeks...at a calorie deficit.

Let's assume that it's possible. How much muscle would she need to gain to mask the weight loss? Let's say the absolute minimum of one pound (although I would argue that is barely noticeable). Even at that minimum rate, that's 26 pounds per year. I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I suspect that there are *very* few women who are natural and can gain 26 pounds of muscle in a year...and substantially fewer who could do it while eating at a deficit/maintenance. In fact, there are probably very few who could do it on substantial amounts of gear.

My money is on the increased exercise water weight explanation...coupled with the inherent volatility in weight over such a remarkably short time period of only two weeks.
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    why, so you can trick yourself into thinking you have lose weight, when it is just water weight?

OP - ignore this, except for the drinking water part.

there's initial water weight you lose at the beginning of weight loss. that's what you're thinking about.

what im talking about is the few pounds of water you can fluctuate when you eat alot of sodium and exercise. not the same thing.

OP - this guy is confused.