foods, what to eat and what not

Options
The Gym trainer told me that eating Carbs is bad well i know that but the doctor told me that WHOLE WHEAT is good. so im kinda confused ... last night for dinner i had WHOLE WHEAT pasta and sauce and a delish salad. was i wrong for choosing that or what. he told me i need to take weight loss supplements and stuff and i dont feel right taking stuff like that . idk even know as a woman what proper vitiems to take. any ideas? but what does everyone do to eat healthy i already know Vegs,and fruit but i heard fruit is bad too... any help on what i should eat that will help me loose? all ideas are welcomed :)

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No food is "bad". Food is food. It is neutral. It is necessary for living. Carbs are not bad, and your trainer is wrong for telling you that.

Yes there are some foods with more nutrition to offer than others. Whole grains, veggies, fruit is most certainly not bad, lean protein, wholesome fat sources (olive oil, nuts and nut butters, etc) are probably best over pure processed junky food all the time. But also balance this with less nutritious things that satisfy your cravings. Everything is fine as long as you log it and stay within your calories with a reasonable balance of carbs/protein/fat. Moderation is key, find a balance of 80% nutrition and 20% indulgence. :)

I take the One-A-Day brand women's multivitamin. The iron and B vitamins in it really help my energy levels.
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat spikes your blood sugar so if you want to eat it, include some protein and healthy fats to slow down the digestive process. Doctors do not get much training on nutrition - they are focused on their specialty. They also can't keep up with all the new drugs they have to learn about. Stick with complex carbs - you need them!!!!
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you give your body all of the nutrients it needs and get rid of built up toxins your body will release fat naturally. We can't do this with measuring calories alone. Most vitamins are made in China, and filled with binders that make them not as effective. You can test your vitamin to see if your body is absorbing it by putting it in a glass of water with some vinegar. It should dissolve immediately.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The Gym trainer told me that eating Carbs is bad
    Checks calendar..........nope not April Fools days
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Your trainer's domain is the gym, not the kitchen.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The Gym trainer told me that eating Carbs is bad well
    Trainers have some of the most appalling Nutritional knowledge I wouldn't trust one to make me a sandwich.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    WHOLE WHEAT should never be spoken of above a whisper.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Say no to weight loss supplements.

Do a bit of research on carbs. Processed carbs like chips, most cereals, instant potatoes, rice, bread, etc. have little to no health benefits other than satifying your body's craving for a sugar spike. Whole grain is a better option, but it is still carbs and you should track that.

When making friends on MFP who are losing at a steady state (.5 - 2 lbs a week), and those friends have their diaries open, look through them to see they type of foods they are eating. You will find that people start off pretty strict and then settle into a more natural rhythm with the foods they choose. It will tend to be the foods that satisfy them and still keep them within their calorie goal.

Oh, and you may already know this, but don't just assume that the MFP goal of 1200 is the right goal for you. Find your TDEE (total daily energy expediture), as well as your BMR (base metabolic rate). There are calculators here as well as online that can help you set the right calorie goal for you. I downloaded the MyFitness Calculator on my phone and it has a breakdown of all your information along with a more accurate calorie goal. Then you can change your goals on this site to match the ones that were calculated. It will help enormously.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I eat anything and everything......in moderation.

Most trainers are terrible with nutritional advice, it's all about calories in vs. calories out for weight loss.

Weight loss supplements??? are they talking a multivitamin or one of the many "take this pill and lose weight" which is BS!

Nothing wrong with multivitamins!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Odd. Carbs are energy and impact my performance negatively if I don't have them. There are no good or bad foods. Your concern should be balance, not eliminating things. I take an 80/20 approach to food. 80% of my calories generally come from nutrient dense foods, while 20% are my flexible not so nutrient dense. This method has been sustainable for me from losing weight into working my calories to maintain.
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Cutting out an entire food group is bad. I really don't trust my personal trainer with my food choices after he told me I shouldn't eat egg yolks. I full heatedly disagree. I think you should do what you want but I took my trainer's nutritional advice with a grain of salt.
  • jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but it makes me extremely angry that your gym trainer told you that carbs are bad and that you need to take weight loss supplements. Don't listen to this idiot... at least for nutritional advice. I'm sure he knows what he's doing as far as exercise goes, but he's a personal trainer at a gym, not a nutritionist.

I suggest doing some research of your own. A doctor is obviously better to listen to for nutrition advice than a trainer, but he's still not a learned nutritionist. You might even be able to ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. Trust me, you want to do this the right way. This is my second try at losing a large amount of weight. I was successful the first time, but I ate all that "healthy" junk that companies are now manufacturing (light chips, light yogurt, etc...) and although I was losing weight, I was very unhealthy. I would get dizzy spells, and would even occasionally faint. If you look at the ingredients on these items, they are full of chemicals and artificial additives that aren't any good for you either. A proper diet includes plenty of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, protein, healthy oils, and healthy fats. These foods will keep you feeling full and satisfied, as well as reduce your cravings for those other bad foods. That being said, I'm sure there are people out there who will disagree with me, and that's fine. Different tactics work for different people. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I have learned a lot about nutrition over the years from asking questions and doing research. By doing it this way you'll also notice a more steady level of energy throughout the day. I very much doubt that anyone will disagree with me on that point. Also, make sure you're eating enough each day. I made that mistake as well, thinking that I would lose more weight more quickly by staying way under my daily calorie allowance, but that is when you start losing muscle mass in addition to fat, and it's not healthy to force your body to function on too little. You may lose weight a little more quickly, but it will take its toll over time. You can still have the things you crave, but eat them very much in moderation. Like I said, the less you eat them the less you will crave them.

Exercise is very important too, but you seem to be doing very well in that department.

Hope this helps!
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of an "all things in moderation" person. Eat a balanced diet. The minute you try to eliminate something out of your diet that you like you are going to begin to struggle. Also what works for one person doesn't mean its going to work for you for a number or reasons. I always laugh when people who have just jumped on the "get healthy" bandwagon or have never really struggled with morbid obesity tell me that I should be doing this or not doing that. What I am doing seems to be working for me. I have added more fruits and veggies into my diet but yes I still eat carbs and sweets. I drink a diet pop a day. Sometimes *gasp* I have two. I have had 7 surgeries in 6.5 years (since 2007) since a serious MC accident that included shattering my right foot, breaking my left wrist in 4 places, seperating my right shoulder and completely blowing out the joint in my left shoulder, lower spine injury and a ruptured colon. Yet today I can outrun 95% of the people I know. We are all different. Play around with this thing, find out what works for you and what you can live with, because no matter what anyone tells you if you can't live with by it long term it isn't going to work. Good luck and congratulations on starting this journey.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Food should not be labelled as 'good' or 'bad'. Hit your macros and aim for a balanced diet which includes a variety of foods you enjoy.

Sounds like your trainer is working on commission for selling supplements, be very wary.
  • jasminecoco
    jasminecoco Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good food: whole, real, unprocessed, clean, organic food. Eg. vegetables,fruits, lean protein, herbs, healthy oil
    Bad food: high in calories but no nutritious value, harmful ingredients. Eg. chips (trans fat), soda&juice (lots of sugar), bakery, bagel, white rice (simple sugar, not much nutritious value).

It's easy to be confused at the beginning when you start to eat clean. It takes time to learn, test and experiment. Gradually cut unhealthy food and you will become an expert one day!

Edit: there are also some foods that are controversial. Egg yolk, for example, has lots of nutrients but is also rich in cholesterol. Fruits are generally good but people with high blood sugar might need to cut on the high sugar fruits. Take your own health situation into consideration as well.
  • sculler62
    sculler62 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you don't like a bread less sandwich.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    your trainer's an idiot.

you need carbs to fuel your workout - get a new trainer.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    "Good" foods: The stuff you like, in moderation if need be.

"Bad" foods: Stuff that you don't like, is covered in mold, or you are allergic to.

Get the idea of "good" and "bad" out of your head. Carbs are not evil. Chips are not evil. Soda is not evil. White bread/rice is not evil. No ONE food or food group is going to keep you from losing weight (minus those with medical conditions that require changes to their diets).

Poor carbs... they are the fats of this generation.
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Tricep_A_Tops_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WHOLE WHEAT should never be spoken of above a whisper.
    * Yells at the top of his lungs * I love Whole Wheat and eat it everyday. " p
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    cutting out real food to take supplements??? FAIL

If you want pasta eat it. the problem with pasta isn't the pasta itself, it's the ginormous serving we stuff into our faces I mean seriously.. who eat 1/2 cup pasta?? That's like 1 noodle right??

I do take pasta and mix it into salad/meat/vegetables, which seems to help me keep the portions under control.