An MFP Diet plan - thoughts?

Options
dortilolma
dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
I'm 5'8 (or 9, I never know), 165lbs and in my late 20s.
I'm trying to get down to 150lbs by the end of June - its that stubborn kind of weight that never likes to budge.
TDEE = 2123 (light exercise) or 1850 (limited to no exercise)

My plan:
Week 1: set goal Kcal in MFP to 1200 (low, I know) but run every day using HRM to get Kcal and then eat the Kcal gained through running - at this point in time I'm losing about 250Kcal while running but I imagine this will increase as I increase my pace and distance - so, actually eat 1450 Kcal

Week 2: raise goal Kcal in MFP to 1300 and (weather allowing) do the same with running as previous week.

Week 3: raise goal Kcal in MFP to 1400 and do the same with running as previous week.

Maintain 1400 for a while and see how I get on.

When I am happy with my weight loss I will slowly raise the calorie intake by 100 each week until I hit maintenance.

The reason I'm dropping the intake so low in the first week is to help reduce my appetite and get me out of the habit of constantly nibbling. I tend to eat well - no junk and the like - but I also eat a lot. I'm a nibbler and eat to pass the time and have no sense of when I'm full.

I'm never really sure about diets and calorie counting - I'd appreciate any feedback people might have. Ideally I'd go to a nutritionist, fitness instructor, weight watchers or something like that but finances are super tight!

Replies

• tea4rose
    tea4rose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like your theory!

Can I friend you and follow along?

I can't budge my weight at all :-(

Always "too hungry"
  • dortilolma
    Options
    Most certainly!
    If I'm honest I'm already kind halfway through week 1. Lets see how it goes. :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I see where you are coming from but you might have the opposite effect if you cut lower, get crazy hungry and lose control. If you want an adjustment period then I would do the opposite and cut out a few hundred caloried a day until you get down to your target.

It hard to say though, people all tick a little differently so since you are already on your way might as well stick to it and see how it turns out.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree with 4legsRbettert, generally it is better to make small changes going both up and down. But if it works for you that is fine.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: if you can tolerate 1200/day without feeling really deprived, it might work.

Most importantly, though: do you already run every day? If not, it's a bad idea to dramatically increase the number of days you run. In my 20s, I ran 3-4 days a week (and walked a lot every day for transport). If I went to 5 or 6 days a week of running, I got injured a lot more frequently. Unless you're already running 6 days a week, I'd advise adding one day a week of running. You can divide the running calories over all 7 days of the week.
  • dortilolma
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm on my 6th day of week 1 and at first it was fine but the last 2 days have been really tough. I know I can't really maintain the 1200 net and yesterday went over 1300 net but I am actually totally ok with that.
    I'm going to try two more days then push up to 1300 in earnest.

Perhaps the slow drop would be better but I've tried it in the past and it just didn't work for me.

bwogilvie - thanks for your advice. I used to run or cycle everyday but haven't done either since winter hit. I started running slowly again a few of weeks back - twice a week - and have pushed it up to every day only this week though - I may take a rest day soon.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: if you can tolerate 1200/day without feeling really deprived, it might work.

Most importantly, though: do you already run every day? If not, it's a bad idea to dramatically increase the number of days you run. In my 20s, I ran 3-4 days a week (and walked a lot every day for transport). If I went to 5 or 6 days a week of running, I got injured a lot more frequently. Unless you're already running 6 days a week, I'd advise adding one day a week of running. You can divide the running calories over all 7 days of the week.

Of course it will work TDEE of 2100 down to 1200 is over 1k deficet which is unhealthy considering there is only about 25lbs to lose.

Add in the running everyday and it's a recipe for disaster...

How do you plan on fueling your runs if you are netting 1200 a day?

And of course the last two days have been really rough...you need more food.

Actually looked at your diary..you went over your goal everyday except 1...and the exercise calories you are eating...yah those are over estimated...normally people only eat back 50-75% of them so basically you have gone over at least by 130 everyday...

that should tell you what you are doing is not sustainable.

The slow drop works you just have to be patient.
  • dortilolma
    Options
    Sezxy Stef - you are absolutely right - 1200 is totally not sustainable for me long term, this is why I'm not too worried about going over. It is also why I do not plan on staying at such a low level for longer than a week and will continue to raise my intake over time. when I get to a more sustainable level of Kcal intake I will only eat back 75% of the excercie I do.

I'm aware that the way I'm going about this may be totally wrong but previous tactics have not worked so I figured I'd try something new (short term).

I do appreciate your feedback - it is fair. It drives me up the wall when I see people trying to starve themselves thin and would never suggest long term over-the-top kcal deprivation.