Skinny Fat!

Hi everyone! I started working out again at the beginning of the year. I am a small framed 36 year old female that weighs 115 pound at 5'4". I started out at 126 pounds and managed to get the weight off in hardly any time. I eat very healthy and always have. I AM CURRENTLY TRAINING FOR a 10k and have been using the elliptical for an hour 5 days a week. My shin splints are the only reason for not taking it to the streets. I do planks, squats and use a kettle bell daily. Here is my problem although I managed to get back down to a desired weight my body fat is at 30%. I don't know how I managed to do this and I would like some feed back of how to lower my body fat %. Thanks everyone!

I did have the wrong shoes which caused the shin splints, but I have new shoes now and the shin splints are going. This will be my second 10K and I only did the elliptical, because I really couldn't do anything else. Just wanted to keep my body moving and not feel the pain. I plan to start running again on Monday. I have a total gym at home and I love Jillian Michaels workout videos. WILL THE JM VIDEOS HELP WITH BF% or should I just do the strength training?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    my shin splints went away when i started running outside on asphalt. don't run on concrete, that doesn't absorb as much impact as asphalt does.

don't do strength training daily, and don't do cardio daily. you need rest. you can and should be alternating days.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Strength train. Adequate protein. Perhaps some bulk/cut cycles if you're afraid of losing too much weight.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    You said you're currently training for a 10k, but how?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    heavy weights, high protein, eat maintenance cals. check out starting strength, New rules of lifting for women, or strong lifts 5x5. Sounds like a large % of your weight loss could have been from losing a lot of lean muscle.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    my shin splints went away when i started running outside on asphalt. don't run on concrete, that doesn't absorb as much impact as asphalt does.

don't do strength training daily, and don't do cardio daily. you need rest. you can and should be alternating days.

This, plus properly fitted shoes. Shinsplints are completely preventable.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    The elliptical won't translate to running very well. You are going to be in for a shock.

Get outside and run. Buy some new shoes, pay attention to your foot strike.
    lift heavy. I lift 2x a week and run 3-4 times a week. (training for 1/2 marathon)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

This, plus properly fitted shoes. Shinsplints are completely preventable.

i should have added properly fitted shoes. for years i was recommended shoes with a big heel to absorb impact and alleviate the pain i felt from my heel spurs. i couldn't run, and could barely walk without pain. but they were treating the symptoms, not the problem.

so one day i switched to minimus style sneakers, and was pain free almost immediately.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Yeeeah, no. You cannot do the elliptical in place of running. You just can't. Even at my heaviest, I could do an hour easily on the elliptical, but I'd never actually run a mile in my entire life. They're 2 completely different things. Now I can run, but I've been working on my running for the past year. It's a lot easier to go 5 miles on an elliptical than it is to actually run 5 miles.

You definitely need to start running if you're training for a 10k. Good luck!!!

Edited to add: run as well as all of the lifting/weight training stuff that others are suggesting. They're both important :)
  • Sounds like you are doing a lot of cardio and not enough stength training. Building muscle will help burn your fat and tone up. Im a runner as well and have suffered from shin splints. Typically I get those from over training with my runs. I started lifting weights 3 times a week in January and only run 2 days a week now. I can tell you this, when I do run my time has improved and my shins don't hurt anymore after a long run.

But to answer your question, to lose the skinny fat look you have to lift weights.
  • jos3php
    jos3php Posts: 38
    When I first started jogging I could barely jog because of shin splints, it was HORRIBLE. So I would start out simply walking fast and jog the last 1/4 of a mile or so. I would still get them for a while, even with new shoes, trying different strike patterns so on and so forth. I found that the more I walked/jogged the less it would happen. It took around 3 months going 5 days a week to make them stop. Ironically enough, I stopped for a week and gave up because they would not go away and when I started again I have not had any since. I am not sure if it was the resting period of if they finally got over themselves. I would definitely get out and at least walk some, though and jog when you can, at the first sign of pain in your shins, stop jogging and walk.
  • karmaheart
    karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
    You guys are awesome!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I went from 32% body fat to 21% body fat by combining running with weight lifting and yoga. Strength training is very important when you do boy recomposition. I am not much of a heavy lifter so I did a few dumb bell full body work outs but mostly yoga or body weight exercises.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    How did you access your bf%? You'd have a lean mass of only 80 lbs which would be extremely low for that weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    How did you access your bf%? You'd have a lean mass of only 80 lbs which would be extremely low for that weight.

ditto...exactly what I was going to ask. 30% BF at your weight seems like an error...how are you coming up with this?

Either way, I'd suggest hitting the weight room and doing a good 3x weekly full body routine in a low rep range with heavy (for you) weights. That is the best way to build dense muscle.
  • karmaheart
    karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
    Used a acc-measure caliper.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Used a acc-measure caliper.

Not very accurate, so I doubt your bf% is that high. Still, if you're not pleased with your appearance, the above advice still applies. :flowerforyou: