Mud run

Options
Im doing one july 19. Anyone ever done one?

What can I expect?

BTW, I'm not a runner. I suck at running, but playing in the mud looks like fun. And it's for a good cause.

Replies

• ChadPRun
    ChadPRun Posts: 735
    Options
    What type of mud run are you doing? Are there obstacles too? Mud runs are fun and if you can't complete one of the challenges or obstacles then you can just go around. If there's obstacles then the running isn't that bad. You will have to wait in line at most obstacles so you'll have plenty of time to rest and catch your breath. Wear dri-fit clothes or any type that wicks moisture and dries fast. Do not wear cotton. Any old running shoe will work. Most mud runs frown on cleats. Just go have fun!
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have my second one July 19. My one suggestion is to NOT run through the mud pits. The one I went to had rutted pits, uneven bottoms, tree roots etc and I cannot count the number of people who were waiting for medics to get them from twists and sprains.

They are fun and the best workout I've had! Having said that, I did end up with a hellacious bruise on my inner thigh and 2 cracked ribs but 100% worth it!!
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    What type of mud run are you doing? Are there obstacles too? Mud runs are fun and if you can't complete one of the challenges or obstacles then you can just go around. If there's obstacles then the running isn't that bad. You will have to wait in line at most obstacles so you'll have plenty of time to rest and catch your breath. Wear dri-fit clothes or any type that wicks moisture and dries fast. Do not wear cotton. Any old running shoe will work. Most mud runs frown on cleats. Just go have fun!

3 mile run with obstacles.

ETA. And thank you very much for the good advice.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    I have run 2 mudathalons in the Cincinnati area. Very hard but very rewarding. Need to work on your running/endurance. Have fun!!
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Im doing one july 19. Anyone ever done one?

What can I expect?

BTW, I'm not a runner. I suck at running, but playing in the mud looks like fun. And it's for a good cause.

That's okay as mud runs tend to favor one's strength over running ability.

One thing to keep in mind is that yes, these are fun but they are still dangerous. Thinking ahead will go a long way here: http://www.mudrunprep.com/most-dangerous-thing/
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Mud runs are a blast and tend to foster a great community.

No cotton like someone else said. When it gets wet it will weigh you down and it sucks. Moisture wicking fabrics is the best. I would also advice pants over shorts. Or if you do wear shorts, wear knee over socks. If you have to crawl at all your knees get pretty banged up.
    I do them a lot, so I have specific shoes just for mud runs, but I'm addicted. You don't need them. Make sure they are laced TIGHT though. People misplace shoes in the mud all the time. If you tilt your foot when you lift it out of the mud it helps keep it on as well.
    Take a change of clothes and a trash bag to put your dirty clothes in. I also take a bucket. It's easier to lug around then a trash bag with wet clothes and less likely to spill out in the car.
    I would also take a gallon of water to rinse off with if there are no showers.

Have a blast!
  • callmeampersand
    callmeampersand Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mud runs are a blast and tend to foster a great community.

No cotton like someone else said. When it gets wet it will weigh you down and it sucks. Moisture wicking fabrics is the best. I would also advice pants over shorts. Or if you do wear shorts, wear knee over socks. If you have to crawl at all your knees get pretty banged up.
    I do them a lot, so I have specific shoes just for mud runs, but I'm addicted. You don't need them. Make sure they are laced TIGHT though. People misplace shoes in the mud all the time. If you tilt your foot when you lift it out of the mud it helps keep it on as well.
    Take a change of clothes and a trash bag to put your dirty clothes in. I also take a bucket. It's easier to lug around then a trash bag with wet clothes and less likely to spill out in the car.
    I would also take a gallon of water to rinse off with if there are no showers.

Have a blast!

Great Advice! I am doing my first mud run (Warrior Dash) in May and will def utilize all of your suggestions!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    May...31st? Like the massachusetts warrior dash?
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Great Advice! I am doing my first mud run (Warrior Dash) in May and will def utilize all of your suggestions!

May...31st? Like the massachusetts warrior dash?