Some help with food substitutions, please?

Options
Hi there. I already have a known gluten/wheat intolerance that I have under control and now I have just been diagnosised with 29 more food sensitivities. Right now on the chopping block are: eggs, cow and goats milk products, almonds, yeast, bananas, cranberries, mushrooms, coffee, pineapple, honey, sugar cane, scallops and sesame seeds. (Disclaimer: These are IgG reactions, and I have been dealing with daily headaches, itchy skin and eardrums, and chronic nausea for the last 2 years so its very real for me, I am not asking for commentary the science behind food sensitivites vs. allergies just help with learning to eat on my restricted diet.)

This all started because I was looking for an egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free waffle recipe. I've been gluten free for a few years now at my doctor's advice but the other allergens are completely new to me. I found a few vegan waffle recipes but then I started to notice a trend: most of the eggs were just replaced with mashed bananas or they relied heavily on Almond meal which will not work for me. I've never tried egg replacers before but I know from my experience cutting gluten that it helps to start with good advice and even better recipes. I would love some tips on recipe substitutions!

TL/DR Summary:

Tips for cooking/baking without eggs?
Tips for replacing almond meal in recipes?
Substitutions for bananas?
Recipes recommendations that meet all my allergy criteria?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JustJennie13
    Options
    I am so sorry that I can not be of more help. The only thing I know is that eggs can be replaced with apple sauce... I have never thought of being tested for food allergies. I have daily migraines, skin isses and itchy ear drums... Hmm... I don't know if I could be as strict as you are. Let me know if this helps with the skin/migraine issues...
  • samacooper
    samacooper Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour in place of almond meal?

I don't like bananas, so I just don't eat them. If you are worried about potassium, coconut water has lots, as do both white and sweet potatoes.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You might be able to sub flaxseed meal or coconut flour for almond meal.

For eggs: You can create a "flax egg" which is a is a mixture of 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons of water. When mixed with water, ground flax gels up and the texture is almost identical to an egg. This doesn't work in all recipes though.

Tofu might also be a suitable sub for eggs in some cases.

Any pureed fruit can replace the banana, it's just a matter of flavor. So, apple sauce, pumpkin, etc will all work.
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Since you can't replace wheat flour with almond flour you could replace it with buckwheat or rice flour (buckwheat, despite the name, is 100% gluten free).

For sugar and honey you can use agave nectar or sweeten things slightly with the fruits you can eat (apples/applesauce, pears, berries).

For eggs I would normally say substitute a banana but you clearly can't do that. You can use applesauce in baked goods that don't need to fluff up and I would search out a vegan egg substitute like agar if you absolutely must make something fluffy like meringue. I wouldn't really attempt to bake things that are really fluffy but applesauce works great for cookies, cakes, brownies, muffins, pancakes, waffles, etc.

Mostly I would stick to a diet based on the meats, vegetables, and fruits that you can eat plus corn products (like corn tortillas and chips) and rice/rice products (rice noodles!). Plus soy milk if you need a "dairy" fix.

Above all don't be scared to try different substitutes and cook everything for yourself. I love cooking and baking and 99% of the time stuff turns out great. 1% of the time I scrape the burnt meal off of the pan directly into the trash.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I have flax meal so I will have to give it a try.

JustJennie- not so disciplined. :tongue: I've started with honey and eggs. Milk will be eliminated over time, as will the others. In the states its called an ELISA test, I believe?

Sama- I will have to do some research. Typically coconut flour requires you to double or triple your liquid and in most recipes they require 1 egg per 1/4cup of coconut flour just to hold it together. I am not too sure you could replace more than a few tbsp of almond for cocount?

I've substituted pumpkin and pureed blackbeans before in recipes but never for the egg part. Do they give the same hold that bananas do when subbed out for the egg? Anyone know?
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You might like this site I use often for recipes. The blogger is lactose intolerant so her recipes usually use almond milk (which you can replace with soy or coconut milk) and are often vegan and celiac friendly. Looking up vegan recipes will give you an idea of what can replace eggs other than apple sauce (that's the only one I can think of off hand).
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7767/butternut-squash-and-sage-risotto

I made this for my nut & egg allergy, gluten free, dairy free foodmap vegetarian friends who came round. I replaced the butter for olive oil, didn't use cheese, also had to take out onion as she was sensitive (but used a bit of garlic as she was cool with a small amount) I also put a bit of paprika on the BNS as well as sage, salt, pepper and garlic powder. (ahem and I also used half a bottle of wine not half a glass) :D Also added some peas towards the end of cooking.

Was amazing and I can eat pretty much everything (except bananas and coffee, but they're fairly easy to avoid) but I would happily make this again for myself

http://www.ugogroup.co.uk/pastas/gluten-free-penne/

I've also made the pasta above too and it's pretty good.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Was checking to see if Corn Starch would help with binding...and found this site which you might find useful as well.

http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/part-2-how-to-substitute-eggs-and-binding-agents/
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Applesauce works for an egg replacement in baking. Rice flour is ok, just buy one that is good quality. The cheaper ones can be gritty. Don't expect the alternative flours to be the same and try several. Chickpea and coconut flours are ok too. Mixing different proportions of the different flours will change flavors and textures too. It took me months to start figuring out the portions we liked and which recipes were actually tasty.
    Good luck and hopefully you get to feeling better!