Side effects of protein powder to hair?

Options
Hello all, recently I started taking a protein supplement, and I noticed shortly after it seemed like I would have a residue left on my hair after shampooing and conditioning when it dried. Switched brands too. Seems to be getting worse as It looked greasy last night, but didn't feel greasy. It dawned on me tht the powder was new I my diet, so was wondering if thy can be a side effect of taking the supplement?

Replies

• HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The only side-effect of protein powder is your hair getting swole.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The only side-effect of protein powder is your hair getting swole.

HA

I've been drankin that 'tein for a week and my folicles are unchanged.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I don't think your problem is from eating more protein. My hair looks fab and I drink protein shakes, too.
  • tinakowalik
    tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe affects me differently..? My hair has nvr been like this, only difference to my diet.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    Maybe you're the Chosen One?
  • tinakowalik
    tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ha!!!
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Unless you're topically applying protein to your hair, I can't see any way that your diet would affect the hair that's already grown out. Maybe you'd notice a growth difference at your roots, but definitely not a feeling of buildup throughout. When protein is applied directly to your hair topically, you can definitely overuse and it could lead to dryness and then breakage... but I can't see any way a supplement could cause the adverse reaction you're experiencing.

Your hair is made up of dead cells, there's no blood or nerves throughout your hair that could change it's chemistry through diet. Essentially, your diet will only affect your "future" hair. If you start eating healthier or taking a supplement, you might notice that your hair grows a little more rapidly, or maybe the texture at your root has changed, but the ends of your hair will remain as they were.

If you haven't already, I would try a clarifying shampoo. Or wash with baking soda, as that will strip any buildup as well.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    Unless you're topically applying protein to your hair

How does one go about applying protein to hair? Can you recommend any solutions?
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    How recently? It should take 6-8 weeks to notice a change like that. Also... people may notice their hair growing in is less brittle, because after all brittle hair can be a symptom of protein deficiency, but it shouldn't cause increased sebum production in your scalp.... I think that's an unlikely side effect.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hello all, recently I started taking a protein supplement, and I noticed shortly after it seemed like I would have a residue left on my hair after shampooing and conditioning when it dried. Switched brands too. Seems to be getting worse as It looked greasy last night, but didn't feel greasy. It dawned on me tht the powder was new I my diet, so was wondering if thy can be a side effect of taking the supplement?

Must.... resist....urge....to..degrade...discussion about.... protein residue in hair....
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

How does one go about applying protein to hair? Can you recommend any solutions?

My immediate thought was that she meant applying it like the way you would dry shampoo/baking soda which is supposed to soak up/distribute the oil in your hair at the roots which I guess somebody somewhere may try... So.. sprinkle on at the roots, work in with your fingertips or a comb and enjoy. However, I do not recommend because baking soda is cheaper and probably works better!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

All you need is bad aim.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options

;)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My first vision was shampooing her hair with protein powder .. lol

What's your diet like? Eating enough variety? Drinking enough water? Maybe you need a clarifying shampoo to get rid of any gunk.. and then carry on as usual!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    There is some suggestion that creatine will cause male pattern baldness.

http://examine.com/faq/does-creatine-cause-baldness.html
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    LOL it's in a lot of hair products
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

All you need is bad aim.

^^Winner of thread. hahaha.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    LOL it's in a lot of hair products

I don't like big pharma. Is there a natural solution?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

All you need is bad aim.
    Who said that's an accident?

Seriously though, I've never heard of protein intake causing hair to be greasy. Have you made any other changes to your diet or macros?
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

All you need is bad aim.

^^ This