Watched Forks and Knives. Now I'm thinking of trying this

Options
So I was recently introduced to the documentary on Netflix called Forks and Knives and it had some new findings linking animal based products to cancers. It goes over and has evidence from studies that have been going on for decades and the evidence is pretty sound. I think I would like to to try this plant based meal plan and find vegan protein powders instead of whey and other such alternatives like food processing cauliflower sauteed to be a rice substitute. I would still take a multi-vitamin and b-12 supplement. I heard Nutritional yeast is a good substitute for cheese and does not taste like erasers like some other "mock' products.

I have been a life long meat eater but after watching that documentary and seeing some facts and evidence, I would like to try this and see how it feels and if I have the urge to eat my husband in the middle of the night, I will stay strong and find some fruits or something else to munch on. hahaha This will be a big step for me as I have never done this before and was always opposed to it. I have an open mind when facts are present so lets see how it goes.

I'm looking for recipes now.
I would appreciate some of your favorites so I can try out.
I also have a lap-band which requires me to have a higher intake of protein. I found a Vegan Protein powder called Bodylogix at GNC and will pick that up for my shakes as well as my Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk (30 calories) to add to it.

Lots of recipes would be great!
Thanks! ^_^

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into some dissenting opinions regarding "The China Study," which is what they base almost all of their research claims on.

This is a decent start: http://rawfoodsos.com/category/china-study/

There are dozens of others. I'm not going to tell you what to believe. But, I encourage you to fully investigate the issues and research before you decide to radically change your eating.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There is a FOK cookbook!! :smile: I took it out from the library and the recipes were really good!!! Here's my favorite!

Peanut Noodles with Broccoli

Serves 4
    8 oz of brown rice noodles
    4 cups broccoli (I actually used broccoli and also added onions, orange peppers, carrots and snow peas!!)
    1 cup coconut water
    3 TBS creamy peanut butter
    2 TBS maple syrup (real, not the fake stuff)
    2 TBS soy sauce
    1 TBS grated fresh ginger

I parboiled the veggies first and then removed them with a slotted spoon and set those aside. Then you can cook the noodles in the same water.

Mix the coconut water through ginger directly in a large saucepan and cook on med heat until it comes together to make a thick sauce. This takes some time, just keep stirring!

Mix the noodles and the veggies in the sauce and serve! SO GOOD!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into some dissenting opinions regarding "The China Study," which is what they base almost all of their research claims on.

There are dozens of others. I'm not going to tell you what to believe. But, I encourage you to fully investigate the issues and research before you decide to radically change your eating.
    This by a mile
    also
    http://anthonycolpo.com/forks-over-knives-the-latest-vegan-nonsense-dissected-debunked-and-destroyed/
  • Moonlitedi
    Moonlitedi Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check this out!
  • desireecl
    desireecl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For bookmarking purposes, b/c this sounds delicious!
    There is a FOK cookbook!! :smile: I took it out from the library and the recipes were really good!!! Here's my favorite!

Peanut Noodles with Broccoli

Serves 4
    8 oz of brown rice noodles
    4 cups broccoli (I actually used broccoli and also added onions, orange peppers, carrots and snow peas!!)
    1 cup coconut water
    3 TBS creamy peanut butter
    2 TBS maple syrup (real, not the fake stuff)
    2 TBS soy sauce
    1 TBS grated fresh ginger

I parboiled the veggies first and then removed them with a slotted spoon and set those aside. Then you can cook the noodles in the same water.

Mix the coconut water through ginger directly in a large saucepan and cook on med heat until it comes together to make a thick sauce. This takes some time, just keep stirring!

Mix the noodles and the veggies in the sauce and serve! SO GOOD!!
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Forgot to include an ingredient for the sauce, my apologies! You also want to add crushed red pepper for a bit of heat!!
  • Moonlitedi
    Options
    That recipe sounds amazing!

I forgot to mention, my stomach has a hard time eating noodles and bread. They tend to get stuck when I eat them.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

This by a mile
    also
    http://anthonycolpo.com/forks-over-knives-the-latest-vegan-nonsense-dissected-debunked-and-destroyed/

^^ this was a great read.

I've watched Forks over Knives, and it seems compelling and really sucks you in. I've given it a thought here and there, and my Dr has tried to push the China Study on me to help with weightloss....buuuttt I just don't want to give up eating animals.

Funny how researchers and authors will skew studies to bend the results in their favor and people hail them as a dietary genius...and then get mad when they are called out on it.
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    While basing an opinion on one source is dangerous, the China Study should not be ignored; it is a series of experiments done over the course of twenty years, is peer-reviewed, and has been supplemented by several smaller studies. It's silly to think vegans are cranking out propaganda, as a previous poster commented- what would be their motive? Seems the meat and dairy industry have more to gain than the tiny percentage of the population that is vegan.

I eat a plant based diet and my diary is open, feel free to browse, OP. If you liked FOK, check out "Food Inc." it has some really good information in it. Also check out Dr. Estlestein and his work with cardiac patients. My transition to vegetarian was slow, I started just during the week, and gradually cut out meat. Be prepared for critsism, but its worth it if it's something you really want to do.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Here's another great article critiquing the documentary. It's a semi-long read, but if you're really interested in getting to the bottom of it, I'd definitely recommend reading it:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Don't go vegan or vegetarian because of a documentary. Do it because you want to.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    While basing an opinion on one source is dangerous, the China Study should not be ignored; it is a series of experiments done over the course of twenty years, is peer-reviewed, and has been supplemented by several smaller studies. It's silly to think vegans are cranking out propaganda, as a previous poster commented- what would be their motive? Seems the meat and dairy industry have more to gain than the tiny percentage of the population that is vegan.

I eat a plant based diet and my diary is open, feel free to browse, OP. If you liked FOK, check out "Food Inc." it has some really good information in it. Also check out Dr. Estlestein and his work with cardiac patients. My transition to vegetarian was slow, I started just during the week, and gradually cut out meat. Be prepared for critsism, but its worth it if it's something you really want to do.

You would think it would be silly, but yet they do it all they time. There's a ton of vegan propaganda out there, whether the motives are based on morals, or self-righteousness or whatever, I see it every day. You may as well ask "Why do some vegans make other people feel guilty for eating meat?" I'm not saying all vegans do this, but the minority that do make the rest of the vegans look bad and leave a bad taste in people's mouth about vegans.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Here's another great article critiquing the documentary. It's a semi-long read, but if you're really interested in getting to the bottom of it, I'd definitely recommend reading it:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/
    I found this excerpt particularly interesting:
    "In my China Study critique last year, I pulled a bunch of data directly from “Diet, Life-style, and Mortality in China”—the same book Campbell and Chen are huddled around in that last picture—showing just how inconsistent the “plant-based diet is healthier” message really is. For instance, we’ve got peculiar things like this:

Plant protein has a correlation of 0.21 with heart disease (positive)
    Non-fish animal protein has a correlation of 0.01 with heart disease (neutral)
    Fish protein has a correlation of -0.11 with heart disease (inverse)
    Meat intake has a correlation of -0.28 with heart disease (strongly inverse)
    Fish intake has a correlation of -0.15 with heart disease (inverse)
    Egg intake has a correlation of -0.13 with heart disease (inverse)
    Wheat has a correlation of 0.67 with heart disease (really flippin’ high!)—which is not only the strongest association between any food and heart disease, but remained sky-high even when I tried adjusting for anything that might be confounding it.*"
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's propaganda, not a documentary.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    A documentary base on 1 way of thinking is ONLY going to show you the results of any study that supports their view point. Pick up a few books on nutrition and do some reading. Just one thing you will find, not mentioned in Forks Over Knives, plant proteins are far more difficult for the human body to process. They DO NOT break down the same, nor do they supply the same quality protein meat sources supply. Do you need mass amounts of protein in your diet? Probably not. Most people consume more than the body needs in a natural diet. But it's completely your call, your diet, your health.
  • Moonlitedi
    Options
    While this idea of a plant based diet sounds interesting and not based off of animal treatment or morality. I was interested in the health aspects. I also watched a follow up on Dr. Oz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T0wQdLHeko
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can see the reason for the bad taste, but I think even vegans hate PETA. The links you've posted are great, seems like you've done your research. I'm veggie for a variety of reasons: humanitarian, enviornmental, disdain for agribusiness, ect; any health benefits are just a bonus.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Echoing what other's have said - there's a lot of research on both sides, and it will never be a simple "this or that" decision.

Personally, I think moderation in all aspects of life is the best course of action; I do eat animal products, but try not to go crazy on adding bacon to everything, haha. My husband and I went vegan last spring, mostly because I wanted to challenge myself in the kitchen, and it was honestly quite easy/tasty! (minus a few notable disasters!) I amassed a couple 'sure-thing' recipes and now try to incorporate them once or twice a week.

I do have vegan friends, and I admire their commitment, but veganism just isn't a workable option for me right now (mostly because I don't want to do it bad enough).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

You would think it would be silly, but yet they do it all they time. There's a ton of vegan propaganda out there, whether the motives are based on morals, or self-righteousness or whatever, I see it every day. You may as well ask "Why do some vegans make other people feel guilty for eating meat?" I'm not saying all vegans do this, but the minority that do make the rest of the vegans look bad and leave a bad taste in people's mouth about vegans.

^^^ backing this guy up, this isn't the only example of vegan propaganda. I've seen many many many examples of vegans trying to claim that humans evolved to eat a plant-only diet, making false statement after false statement, putting forward strawman arguments and various other logical fallacies to support this claim.

There is unfortunately a lot of pseudoscience and propaganda out there coming from vegans. Why they do it? No idea. I don't see why they can't just say "humans didn't evolve to eat a vegan diet, but we have enough technology nowadays to get all our nutritional needs from 100% plant sources" which is true, rather than trying to claim that meat isn't a natural part of the human diet. The truth is that humans would not have evolved at all without meat, and none of the species of great ape (our closest relatives) are herbivores. They're all omnivores, even gorillas, in spite of vegans frequently using gorillas as an example of how a large primate can thrive on a vegan diet (they eat insects, and additionally the gorilla's gut is better adapted to get nutrition from low quality plant foods than the human's gut, so humans can't base their diet on what's good for gorillas in spite of being closely related). I can elaborate on this at length (i.e. further explain how humans are adapted to be omnivores, not herbivores) if need be, but I don't want to make this a tl;dr post.

I have nothing against vegan diets, it is possible to get enough protein from a vegan diet. Difficult, but possible. What I object to though is vegans trying to claim that humans need less protein than they actually need, in order to justify themselves not getting enough protein on a vegan diet. IMO vegan is an ethical choice (and a legitimate one, even if I don't personally agree with it) not a health choice. It takes careful planning to be properly nourished as a vegan, and saying "humans don't need that much protein anyway therefore I'm not going to bother putting in the effort to get enough protein on a vegan diet" is cop-out logic.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, those at greatest risk for cancer are the elderly because cancer can be caused by aging. This may be one of the reasons *everything* seems to cause cancer. My biggest issue with studies that conclude that meat causes cancer is that they don't account for enough variability in the population; everyone I know eats animal products, but not everyone I know develops cancer- and of those who do, other carcinogens in the enviorment (sunlight, medication, and renal failure in my Dad's case) are better linked to the type of cancer involved (skin cancer here).
    So, if we assume meat eaters are more likely to get cancer than vegans, are we still controlling for age of our participants? Do vegans die before meat eaters so just don't have a chance to metastasize some cancer? Are we controlling for sample size, or are we comparing three vegans to three-hundred meat eaters? Are we controlling for subject variables? If all of our meat eaters work with radioactive isotopes, but our three vegans run a subsistence farm, that's a huge difference in cancer risk.

I mean, you do you. If you want to cut out all the meat from your diet, by all means go for it. But don't do it because you saw something on the internet. Do it because you want to.