What the F is going on!!?!?

ok here's a rant fest.... I exercise at least 5 days a week burning about 500 + calories per workout AT LEAST and I limit my calorie intake to about 1200-1800 a day... I think I eat clean for the most part... but all criticism is certainly welcome.

the PROBLEM: The scale has NOT MOVED. I weigh 160# and I can tell a difference in my body by looking in the mirror, a little. BUT I feel bloated all the time (drinking at least 64 oz of water a day, I admit I never done this in the past... so it may be my body adjusting to it?? I just started doing this three weeks ago...) and I haven't lost much in inches in a month. Two total. I feel good yes, but I'm frustrated as hell because I am not losing any weight.... but I'm not giving up. I need advice from all you freaks out there. If you know someone who could give me some good advice also please give them my name, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!! :)

kat

Replies

• lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    You said that you feel good, keep it up and be patient!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    I don't understand why if you can eat up to 1800 calories you sometimes only eat 1200.
    If you eat 1200 calories and burn 500, you are netting 700 calories a day which isn't smart.
    I also seriously doubt you burn AT LEAST 500 calories every day from a work out alone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    if the exercise is new...it takes from 2-6 weeks to get the water and glycogen stores to leave...

It took my body almost 4 weeks in the new year to get used to the HIIT exercise I added...my weight didn't move much then wooshed 3lbs in two weeks.

be patient...keep at it and you will see the changes not only on the scale but in your bloat and inches as well.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    We can't see your diary. But are you sure you're weighing every thing accurately using a digital scale? Sometimes people eat quite a bit more than they think they are.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    When is the last time that you changed your workout routine? I can imagine that could possibly be one thing, you may have hit a plateau doing the same thing for too long?

Maybe changing your routine to something completely new and really nailing down your calories to a specific calorie limit? Maybe try finding your TDEE and going with that?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    but I'm not giving up. I need advice from all you freaks out there.

Called me a freak = not helping you.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    You are the Chosen One.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Just joking. :happy:

Water retention from a newish workout is one big reason - especially if you think you look a little different.

Also, as has been mentioned, make sure you're weighing and measuring things accurately. Also, maybe eat back 50-75% of exercise Calories, as you/MFP may be overestimating burn.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    I love when you call me a freak, and that other thing. :wink: Are you logging consistently, weighing your food and using a heart rate monitor to calculate your burns? You don't have that much weight to lose. You should only be set to lose 1 lb a week. What do you have it set for? You don't need a huge deficit, and if your diary is accurate on the days you actually logged, you're giving yourself a pretty big deficit.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    ok here's a rant fest.... I exercise at least 5 days a week burning about 500 + calories per workout AT LEAST blah blah blah about 1200-1800 a day...blah blah blah.

the PROBLEM: The scale has NOT MOVED.blah blah I just started doing this three weeks ago...) } and blah blah blah.

Thanks in advance!! :)

kat
    It is my personal opinion that when a person starts a workout regimen it takes between 6-8 weeks for any REAL changes to thier weight begin to happen. Most fluctuations in weight will be purely water weight based and non-maintainable. Long story short, keep on keepin on. You didn't get at the place you're currently at in 3 weeks, don't expect to correct it in three weeks. If it was easy, we'd all be walking around chiseled and perfect.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    You should not feel that bloated if you're drinking all that water. How's your sodium intake? Too much sodium will make you retain water and feel bloated.

Also, if you ask for help on the forums, it helps to open up your food diary.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    I GAINED weight initially- I know, frustrating!

Just stick with it. My weight went up and down, and up and down... I'm only just in my 6th week of eating healthier and working out at least 3 times per week and I'm only just starting to see sustained results. There was one point 3 weeks in that I had lost some, then gained it ALL back overnight. Ugh. I sooo wanted to give up, but I stuck with it.

Water weight and bloating seems to be my nemesis. When I started working out more, my body seemed to hang onto everything for dear life, even though I'm eating ok and working out semiregularly. I think I kinda shocked my body a bit and it went into conservation mode. I upped my fiber and water intake, and I seem to be getting progress now but I know it's slow. As much as I'd LOVE to be at my GW by the start of summer, I know realistically it's going to be August before I will probably see the final results I want. But, I'm hanging in there. Give it some time.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Do you weigh, measure and log all of your food?

Do you use an HRM for your exercise, or are you using some machine estimate or MFP estimate?

Chances are, you are either underestimating your food or overestimating your calories burned, or a combination of the both.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    It would help if your diary was public. That way the helpful people can make helpful suggestions and the snarky people can have more to be snarky about.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Is your diary only open to your friends? Cuz I can see it. You've been working out longer than 3 weeks, are you talking about the water intake? Who's being snarky? I missed it.
  • mkgr3gory
    mkgr3gory Posts: 18
    I don't have any advice, just wanted to tell you I feel your pain ... I feel like over the last 6 weeks I have eaten less (not perfectly, but certainly less) and worked out MUCH more than before. The scale is down 2.5 lbs, but tomorrow they could all be back, so I feel like it's most realistically water weight. I didn't take measurements, so I don't know if I'm making progress, but my clothes don't really feel any different. So, I guess we just need to trust everyone and keep on ... it's hard, though, when you don't feel like you're making progress. Not that it helps you, but it helps me to know other people are struggling too ... I'm off to the store to buy a scale to weigh my food .....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Open your food diary to public
  • p_s1984
    p_s1984 Posts: 30 Member
    This happened to me to for 2 weeks I did not lose weight, but I lost inches. I almost gave up!! But, I consulted my MFP buddies and they said eat more Protein. I followed their advice and set 30% of my daily intake to protein and it worked!!! :) Keep on going and don't give up. Change up your diet a bit. Less Carbs/Sugar and more protein :) That worked for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Do you weigh your food? Is your period regular?