I could really use suggestions...

Options
I really want to get healthy and I know my eating habits (i.e. the items I eat) are not the best in that category. However, I am quite picky on a number of things. I don't like much in the cooked vegetable category. The only cooked vegetables I like are high starch i.e corn and potatoes. I like a number of raw vegetables, but that gets tedious after a while. Change is always good to keep one satisfied and when you only like raw vegetables..there's not much in the way of change. I also don't like any fish or fish products, never have. So my question is this:

How do you get yourself to learn to like things you know are healthy and good for you, and that you need, but most of the time can't get past the smell or just do not like the taste of no matter how many different ways you tried it?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

Kerri

Replies

• dianemmn
    dianemmn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do hope that someone can advise you but I am the same and hardly like anything healthy.

I won't/can't force myself to like stuff so I eat what I always have but just cut the chocolate out and smaller portions plus exercise and have still lost just over a stone in 9 weeks so am happy to stick to my diet,whatever works for you I say.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    How do you get yourself to learn to like things you know are healthy and good for you, and that you need, but most of the time can't get past the smell or just do not like the taste of no matter how many different ways you tried it?

Probably can't. Any more than I can stomach coffee or butterscotch. Easier to work within what you do like.

So, you mention you like raw veggies -- that's awesome. Do you like any fruit?

What else do you like? Sounds like you've got plenty of carb options. How about proteins and fats?
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well. Maybe try to get used to it gradually? This is how I managed to change my habits.
    Previously I loved sauces, gravy, any crispy skins. And all of these together in one meal. Dinner without a meat? Such term didn't exist.
    I knew that if I changed my habits too much at once I would stick to it very shortly. And after some time I would have a weak day and my zest would start to disappear.
    So I explored recipes with less calories step by step. Slowly I was changing my eating habits, adding veggies, fish, reduce meat etc.
    I cook my own meals to make sure that it will fit my taste. You have to "learn" new tastes. Your preferences will change slowly.
    Otherwise you will try some dishes, find them unbearable to eat even in single serving, not to mention three times a day.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I changed my taste buds and mentality to like salads. There are a couple prepackaged salads I absolutely love. One is the Dole BBQ Ranch salad.... Omg so good... Another is the Eat Smart Sweet Kale salad. Try those.
  • psychokatt
    psychokatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Probably can't. Any more than I can stomach coffee or butterscotch. Easier to work within what you do like.

What else do you like? Sounds like you've got plenty of carb options. How about proteins and fats?

that's part of the problem..there are not many proteins that I like. I know I don't get near enough in the protein category each day.
  • Thatsmywrapgirl
    Options
    On the fish front... Have you tried fish like talapia or orange roughy? I hate fish like trout, salmon, sea bass, stuff like that, so I always thought that I hated all fish... It wasn't until (at 26 years old mind you) my mom sat me down and made me try Tilapia... It was fantastic! Doesn't taste at all like fish.

I'm also a sucker for Mahi Mahi and Ahi Tuna.
  • psychokatt
    Options
    InfitRealm,

I cook a lot of my meals too and I seldom get over my caloric intake a day..in fact I usually have to force myself to eat to get anything in that I should. And I get tired of raw vegetables..and don't like fish in any form. My husband needs a change in eating habits as well, but I can't get him to do it until I do and he is almost as picky as I am in regards to cooked, and even raw, vegetables.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The only suggestion I might offer would be to try things from time to time. Sometimes we don't like things when we're young but we do a little older.

When I think I don't like something, if a restaurant has it. I might ask for a taste. Example: If I think I don't like green peppers. I might ask for a slice on the side of my salad. I can try it and move on. Either I like it or I don't. No harm.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

that's part of the problem..there are not many proteins that I like. I know I don't get near enough in the protein category each day.

Sorry if this seems a bit in your face, but I don't like to focus on "can't", I'd much rather focus on "can" -- let's figure out what you DO like and work from there. Proteins covers a lot of stuff -- milk, cheese, chickpeas, yogurt, sour cream, steak (heck, beef of any sort), chicken, duck, pork. Doesn't have to be fish.
  • lcroslin
    lcroslin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started out by adding a bit of salt, pepper and cheese or butter to some of the veggies I hated. That made it easier to eat. I didn't eat a lot either. Just started with a little bit then gradually added more. I used to hate broccoli and asparagus, but now I love them both. I did this years ago and started with the Velveeta style cheese and that's not very good for you. But, maybe you could go with real cheese, but start with shredded Parmesan or Cheddar? I've gradually got off the cheese and now try to just stay with seasonings with a sprinkle of lemon and maybe some Parmesan. But just a touch.

Also, I mix my veggies in with some healthy sauce. So, if having spaghetti with sugar free, low fat spaghetti sauce, after cooking the veggies mix them in the sauce. You won't taste them as much.

Well, I hope this helps some.

Linda
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When it comes to calories, surprisingly, I didn't exceeded my daily limit. I measured how many calories I ate before the diet. Just to check how much I ate in regular. I admit sometimes it was too much, but then I had a deficit on another day etc.
    The problem was the ratio of fat/proteins/carbs.

Well, as I wrote, you have to "learn" new taste. It's a bit like dishes you hated when you were younger, but now you like eating them.
    If you have an approach that this meal is dreadfull/boring (or another negative association) then you won't be able to change.
    Take little steps. Don't eat only veggies. In this way you will feel that you give up the food you like for this ruffages you are already sick of.
    Maybe thick soups will be good here? I've found that many people, who don't fancy veggies and don't eat regular soups, really enjoy eating warming thick soups.
    Or some sauce? Use a skimmed cream or a greece type yogurt and add some minced (cooked) vegtables, e.g. broccoli with onion or cauliflower, some seasoning. It would be a good dip.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How about lightly cooked veggies, not mushy, lightly steamed or stir fry? If you go to a Chinese Buffet, have you tried any of the dishes with veggies there? Obviously this is not something you would do every day, but it is a good way to try some different veggies. You might find some that you like. Many people also find that they like veggies grilled or roasted instead of boiled.
  • Unenthusiastic
    Unenthusiastic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd say, rather than trying to make yourself like foods that you think are gross, try different vegetables than usual and see if you can find anything new that you like. Also, try cooking vegetables different ways--steamed, sautéed, roasted, mashed, whatever floats your boat. Personally, I love vegetables but still think that veggies are gross. For instance, I thought I hated butternut squash until I tried it roasted in the oven. My family always boiled it and mashed it, and it just tasted like gross baby food, but roasted, it's delicious.

Also, try starting with starcher veggies, since you like potatoes and corn? For instance, sweet potato, just to mix it up?
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much in the way of cooked vegetables nor do I eat fish. I can cook lean steak, lean pork fillets and b/s chicken breasts in a bout a million different healthy ways so I mix them up a lot. I also do lean ground beef tacos, hotdogs, hamburgers, cheese quesadillas. I do salads and mix that with the cooked veggies that I will eat. Hasn't stopped me from feeling satisfied or mixing things up. I throw in some fruit, melon and nuts and call it good. There are lots of options out there. Maybe go to a different store and stalk the produce department and see what they might carry that's different and try it. I was amazed at the differences in what one store will carry vs another. In November I went to Ecuador and was amazed at the fruits they ate that I had never seen or tried. Many of them were awesome and I have now found some of them in different produce departments and added them to my mix.
  • psychokatt
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions...very helpful!!
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Eat small portions of the vegetables to get yourself started. Maybe cook and eat a spoonful of green beans and instead of thinking you don't like it, play a game with your mind and say "I know this is really good food for my body, so I'll eat just a little." I use to plan ahead what I wanted to eat which meant eating high calorie meals. Now I am grabbing healthy choices such as cottage cheese, fresh vegetables, yogurt, eggs, fruit, nuts cereal, etc. and try to keep the vegetable and fruit choices as much as possible. Good luck...think of your bodies needs, not what your mind is thinking.
    By the way, frozen vegetables don't have to be cooked. We use to give our little ones frozen green beans to pacify them while I was cooking dinner. They loved them!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There are some vegetables that I don't care for but I have found that cooking methods change the taste of them.

I don't like carrots that have been boiled or steamed but I love them roasted. Same with cabbage, brussel sprouts and others. I tend to like all of them when they are roasted. It also makes cooking easier because I can just fill a baking tray full...use a little olive oil and seasonings and just stick them in the oven.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    1) Find new recipes or ways to prepare your food. Try a "green smoothie"

2) eat more fruit. It tastes great, and everybody has at least one that they LOVE.

3) Seek out higher quality produce. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH. I used to hate celery until i started buying the organic stuff. Buy what is in season, plant a garden, find a farmer's market. Find something you have never tried and then google a new recipe.