How long does it take phentermine to work?

Options

Replies

• Werfam
    Werfam Posts: 29
    Options
    Don't do it! I am by NO means judging u. Believe me, I have tried everything out there. I have always struggled with 5 to 10lbs wanting to lose . My last plan was phen 37.5 - now I am facing adrenal fatigue and am now 18 lbs larger. Haven't been this weight since last pregnancy - 9 1/2 years ago.

Now struggling with metabolism and can't lose even a half pound while following a healthy diet and exercise????
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting....I have been on it for about 20 days and lost only about 3 pounds. So...I hope it will be better next month. BUT I have to lose 5 pounds per month to get a script for next month....
    Most of our patients noticed a bigger change the second month they were on it, if it worked for them at all
  • BadMabiz
    BadMabiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Funny thing. Soon after my last response singing the praises of this miracle pill, I hit a major plateau and have been pretty much stuck at the same weight for most of the month of February. I finally started seeing a small improvement again this week. My next follow up with the doctor is March 24th, and based on previous progress I'd hoped to have reached my goal by then. Now I know that won't happen, as I still have 30 pounds left to lose.

I'm going to stick with it, of course. I've gotten to the halfway point, and I'm just not ready to give up yet. But clearly I need to make some changes, like increasing my workouts and being more consistent with them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I never lost weight with it, but when I was taking it, it was just for fun, not weight loss. :smokin:
  • BadMabiz
    BadMabiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any "fun" reactions to it. Although, I'm on the lowest dose and only take it once daily as directed, so that may be why. I do have increased energy, but it's not the jittery, too much caffeine feeling like with other stimulants I've had. With this, I just feel less lazy and actually have the motivation to get up and do stuff.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any "fun" reactions to it. Although, I'm on the lowest dose and only take it once daily as directed, so that may be why. I do have increased energy, but it's not the jittery, too much caffeine feeling like with other stimulants I've had. With this, I just feel less lazy and actually have the motivation to get up and do stuff.

Clarification:

15 years ago, feeling "less lazy" and having "motivation to do stuff" was fun. After my second kid, I had postpartum depression and self-medicated with various stimulants. (anti-depressants made me feel drugged up and worse than I felt normally) I will agree that phentermine is much more subtle. Too much caffeine is always no good for me.
  • catwestb
    catwestb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ive been on it since Sept 30th and have lost 50 lbs. However the same as you, I go for about 3-4 weeks at a time being the same weight. But I also believe it goes along with my calorie intake and what I actually consume...which is still alot of bread :(
  • CBC435
    CBC435 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting....I have been on it for about 20 days and lost only about 3 pounds. So...I hope it will be better next month. BUT I have to lose 5 pounds per month to get a script for next month....
    Most of our patients noticed a bigger change the second month they were on it, if it worked for them at all

I have been on it since December 31 and also taking a natural compounded progesterone (Started that Feb. 5) and since then, I have lost 22 pounds. I think a lot has to do with what you eat and how MUCH you eat. My doctor had me play with my calories from 500-1200. Of course, 500 is merely nothing but when on phentermine, it is so easy to do that. I noticed I lost more weight when I did eat up to 1200 or at least 1100. So, maybe play with that one week for for 5 days. Drink lots of water too :) Don't get too discouraged! What is your mg by the way? I am on 30mg.
  • lisamcd5
    lisamcd5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am hearing a lot this pill called phentermine but I also know it is pretty pricey where is everyone getting it from? I just would like to know where to start looking :)
  • CBC435
    Options
    I am hearing a lot this pill called phentermine but I also know it is pretty pricey where is everyone getting it from? I just would like to know where to start looking :)

lisamcd5- It is prescribed by your physician or at a weight loss center (I think but I could be wrong) This is not a quick fix and most people are on it for 3-4 months at a time because you can become addicted to it and you will lose the effect after so long. You have to qualify in order to be prescribed and it's not given to people who need to lose 10-20 pounds. I did a lot of research and was terrified to try it but it has aided in my weight loss and definitely keeping me accountable for smaller portions and cleaner foods. Also, insurance does not cover phentermine so expect to pay anywhere from $60-100 for your 3 or 4 month supply. I would advise you speak to your PCP and discuss if this is a safe option for you. There are many risks with phentermine and have to be aided through the process. As my doctor put it "Phentermine is a bandaid on the bigger problem" and eventually that bandaid comes off and you have to "heal" on your own.
  • CrystalQ222
    CrystalQ222 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I took it before. I lost 22 lbs in a month. At the time I was still drinking soda and not committed so I gained it back. Now that I am on here and logging calories, quit the soda I feel like trying it again. It is only $12 without insurance where I live. I think as long as I eat healthy and don't fall back into old ways it will stay off. It's by prescription only. All the online stuff is fake crap...
  • CBC435
    Options
    I took it before. I lost 22 lbs in a month. At the time I was still drinking soda and not committed so I gained it back. Now that I am on here and logging calories, quit the soda I feel like trying it again. It is only $12 without insurance where I live. I think as long as I eat healthy and don't fall back into old ways it will stay off. It's by prescription only. All the online stuff is fake crap...

I agree with CrystalQ222!! Do not get it from online! Only from a doctor (in my opinion) or a weight loss facility! I think a doctor is best because they can keep track of your heart plus address any other health concerns. Online has some scary stuff and you just don't know what you're buying!
  • Smindseyy17
    Options
    I started take phen again yesterday, I had taken it before but I fell off the band wagon when I started college. I have already lost two pounds since yesterday. I lost about 60 pounds before in about 5 months. I love it. It helps me concentrate and get things done. I have PCOS so i'm also on metformin. The two of these together have worked wonders for me. I hope it phen works for you, and gives you the jump start you need!!
  • CBC435
    Options
    I started take phen again yesterday, I had taken it before but I fell off the band wagon when I started college. I have already lost two pounds since yesterday. I lost about 60 pounds before in about 5 months. I love it. It helps me concentrate and get things done. I have PCOS so i'm also on metformin. The two of these together have worked wonders for me. I hope it phen works for you, and gives you the jump start you need!!

My best friend is still on met. and was on phen about 2 years ago and she lost about 40 pounds in 4-6 months. And she has kept it off + losing additional weight AFTER the phen! I think she's around 50-60 lbs lost total with it all! My doc did put me on met. and sadly, it made me gain weight AND I wasn't on phen either. This was when they thought I had PCOS but it wasn't that after all :) Glad you are able to regulate it and I'm sure with satisfying results!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I started taking Phen 6 weeks ago. I started out at 162 pounds, and I am 5'1. The first four weeks I lost eleven pounds, bringing me to 151. The past two weeks I have only lost one more pound total. Now I am at 150. I have been logging all my food, eating healthy, and have really stepped up my exercising.

I was hoping to lose two pounds a week. Not happening. I need to cut my calories more, I guess.
  • CBC435
    Options
    I started taking Phen 6 weeks ago. I started out at 162 pounds, and I am 5'1. The first four weeks I lost eleven pounds, bringing me to 151. The past two weeks I have only lost one more pound total. Now I am at 150. I have been logging all my food, eating healthy, and have really stepped up my exercising.

I was hoping to lose two pounds a week. Not happening. I need to cut my calories more, I guess.

Hi Junebuggyzy! Noticed you on my thread too. Not sure if you touched base on this too on the other topic- BUT how many calories are you taking in currently? And what does your daily food intake look like? Protein? Veggies? It really depends on the week and what you are doing for exercise and food. I had the 2 pounds per week in my mind and that's not how it works at all. I've noticed- some weeks I only lose 1-2 pounds and other weeks I lose 4-5 pounds and some weeks I've remained steady. (I think that's only happened once or twice) My doctor told me to see what works best and I've noticed 1200 cals. is when I do lose. I've had days where I'm at 700-900 cals total and the scale goes nowhere. Also, start measuring your arms, legs, waist and hip area because THAT'S where mine is showing the most. I look a lot leaner than I did before when I used to be at the weight that I am currently. Which is kinda odd if you think about it? I'm looking more toned and stomach shrinkage is huge! Currently, all of my clothes are falling off! Haha there is a place on your diary to add those measurements. Actually, I think it's under progress and then you can add in those inches! Good luck to you and feel free to ask any other questions you may have!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Hi CBC,

I seem to be around 1200 calories a day. I wasn't exercising enough, so I started doing more, and poof, I lost 2 pounds this week. That's a lot for me. Usually I lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week.

I have 17 more pounds to lose until my son's wedding the end of May. I don't lose very fast on Phen after the first couple of weeks. This isn't my first rodeo, I've taken Phen before. I hope I can lose that weight, but if I don't even if I just lose 10 pounds, I will be happy.

The only time I have lost 4 pounds a week is in the very beginning. My doctor measures me once a month. My second follow up is in a couple of weeks. I did plug in the numbers, but it was only one time. For some reason, the inches don't matter. But like you said, how my clothes fit is what really shows me.

My clothes were all too tight when I started, and now they are fitting again. When I started my stomach stuck out so much that I had to wear baggy tops. Now I can wear my tighter fitting tops again, so I feel like I am finally making progress.

June
  • CBC435
    Options
    Hi CBC,

I seem to be around 1200 calories a day. I wasn't exercising enough, so I started doing more, and poof, I lost 2 pounds this week. That's a lot for me. Usually I lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week.

I have 17 more pounds to lose until my son's wedding the end of May. I don't lose very fast on Phen after the first couple of weeks. This isn't my first rodeo, I've taken Phen before. I hope I can lose that weight, but if I don't even if I just lose 10 pounds, I will be happy.

The only time I have lost 4 pounds a week is in the very beginning. My doctor measures me once a month. My second follow up is in a couple of weeks. I did plug in the numbers, but it was only one time. For some reason, the inches don't matter. But like you said, how my clothes fit is what really shows me.

My clothes were all too tight when I started, and now they are fitting again. When I started my stomach stuck out so much that I had to wear baggy tops. Now I can wear my tighter fitting tops again, so I feel like I am finally making progress.

June

Good!! Just keep plugging away!!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I feel like such an idiot! I posted a thread about Phen, and got slammed!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    2011 thread