Healthy Indian recipe!! Only 300 cals for a HUGE serving!

Options

Replies

• Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sounds bumpalicious!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    YAY and THANK YOU! Chicken Makhni is my absolute fave, and I'm so gonna make this, this weekend :-D
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    tagged TYVM :flowerforyou:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I made this the other night. I added a buttload more of onions, garlic and spices, but it was delicious!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try.
  • amberlinajo
    amberlinajo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alicecorsiatto
    alicecorsiatto Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this--thanks!
  • mscleo1115
    mscleo1115 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bumping this
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    bump to add to shopping list this weekend!!!!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Okay, so anyone who likes Indian food knows that it is a) delicious and b) filled with coconut milk, ghee, cream, and oil. I love a nice warm, creamy Indian stew and have been working on this for awhile to get it right. If anyone is familiar with butter chicken or butter channa (chickpeas) (called chicken/channa makhni at some places), this is my healthified version!

Right on the delicious part, but actually (North) Indian food doesn't contain coconut milk - its just these Americanized recipes that do (this one is Americanized - there is no dish called butter/makhani channa. Makhani chicken, yes). And yes, restaurant food contains all that, but homecooking is very healthy - we never even had ghee in my house growing up, my parents just cooked with a little bit of olive oil and a splash of half & half in dishes like this. Appreciate you trying to lighten things up but I just wanted to mention that most homemade-style Indian recipes don't need lightening, I think people have been very misled by restaurant Indian food :).
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump to make later. Thanks for the recipe!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, thanks!
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ohh i made something very similar last week but yours sounds better. yum!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Okay, so anyone who likes Indian food knows that it is a) delicious and b) filled with coconut milk, ghee, cream, and oil. I love a nice warm, creamy Indian stew and have been working on this for awhile to get it right. If anyone is familiar with butter chicken or butter channa (chickpeas) (called chicken/channa makhni at some places), this is my healthified version! Makhni sauce is tomato-based but usually made with a ton of cream and ghee. I totally removed the cream and ghee from this recipe and replaced it with fat-free plain yogurt (regular, not Greek) - it is just as creamy but saves a LOT of calories. Plus the spices make it so flavorful that you really don't miss the fattiness.

Also, I made this recipe with chickpeas for a meatless meal, but you could replace the chickpeas with boneless, skinless chicken breast cubes. You would probably want to pre-cook the chicken breast or at least sear it in a pan before transferring it into the sauce.

Here you go -

Ingredients:

1 small onion, diced
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp garam masala (may sound intimidating but it is common - I got mine at the regular grocery store, it's McCormick brand!)
    1 tbsp curry powder (can also get at any grocery store)
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp red pepper flakes (can increase or leave out to your spiciness taste)
    24 oz tomato sauce
    4 x 16 oz cans chickpeas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
    4 cups fresh spinach (optional)
    1 cup non-fat plain yogurt (use Greek at your own risk! I love Greek yogurt but thought it would be too bitter for this recipe)

Directions:
    Cook the onion and garlic over medium heat until onion is soft and translucent (I did this with Pam, but you can use oil - it'll just increase the calories a bit). Add the spices and cook for a few (2-3) minutes. Roasting the spices like this releases their aroma and makes the whole dish more flavorful. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. When the sauce is heated through, add the chickpeas. Now cover and heat at least until they are heated through or as long as you like (I've done up to an hour)., on low heat so it is gently simmering If you want to throw some spinach into the recipe (not as authentic but I gotta sneak vegetables to my husband somehow), after you've simmered the chickpeas for the time you want, open the pot, put the spinach on top and close it. After the spinach has started to wilt a bit, stir it in and simmer a few more minutes until spinach is almost cooked through. Then stir in the yogurt. Heat through and serve! We have ours on top of brown or white rice. (Even my husband, who HATES spinach, said he couldn't taste the spinach at all - but you could still leave it out. Or if you love spinach you could increase it.)

I added all of the ingredients into the MFP recipe builder and this is what I got if you divide it into 6 servings. Btw, each serving will be HUGE. I have a BIG appetite (can easily eat half an x-large pizza and still have room for more) and I was COMPLETELY full with one serving this, 1/2 c brown rice and some steamed broccoli.

Per serving:
    301 calories
    61 g carbs
    5 g fat
    17 g protein
    1403 mg sodium (note: the actual amount is probably less after rinsing and draining the chickpeas thoroughly)
    19 g fiber

For the whole recipe:
    1805 calories
    365 g carbs
    28 g fat
    101 g protein
    5040 mg (again, probably less in reality)
    113 g fiber

Enjoy! :)

Ah, edited to add that it's even more flavorful the next day :)

Y UM i love indian food but wondered how to make it healthier. thanks for posting
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Avarindria
    Avarindria Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    BUMP!