Any indoor rowers here?

Options
gj1802
gj1802 Posts: 18 Member
I'm looking to add friends who regularly use indoor rowers as part of their weight loss program.
I've been rowing now for the past two months and have decided to try and achieve 1,000,000 mtrs but the end of 2014.

Replies

• skippieone
    skippieone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me! Doing Concept II's Mud Season Madness Challenge right now...5000m daily for the month of March and starting tomorrow, the team World Erg.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. I'm a former Div-I rower, and have hit that 1mill meter Ergo mark years ago. Now I just use erging as a piece of HIIT interval training. ;-)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I love rowing but haven't done it in a while because I don't have the equipment at home. I was rowing in the gym once a week.

For those of you in the market for a rowing machine, here's a link to an article on Overstock.com about row machines and the different kinds of resistance.

http://www.overstock.com/guides/best-rowing-machine-resistance-systems
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There are a few of us....we have a group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/632749-rowing-introduce-yourself -- jump to page 5. Four or five of us are also doing mud season madness (or planning on dying trying in my case) and we also have a team for the world erg if you'd like to join!!

Welcome and happy rowing! Add me if you want/need support :smile:
  • gj1802
    Options
    Me! Doing Concept II's Mud Season Madness Challenge right now...5000m daily for the month of March and starting tomorrow, the team World Erg.
    That Mud Season Challenge sounds good although I'm a bit late to start now. I may do my own version in April.
  • gj1802
    Options
    There are a few of us....we have a group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/632749-rowing-introduce-yourself -- jump to page 5. Four or five of us are also doing mud season madness (or planning on dying trying in my case) and we also have a team for the world erg if you'd like to join!!

Welcome and happy rowing! Add me if you want/need support :smile:
    Thank you. I'll check it out.
    What's involved with the world erg?
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We have both a "team" and "affiliation" on the concept 2 site-- look for "MFP Friends". You need to join the team to be part of the team challenge, and you can join the affiliation if you want but it's not necessary.

The world erg challenge is just basically, you row as much as you can and compete against other virtual and real world rowing teams. We have some certifiable crazy people on the team, and for the January virtual challenge we came in second for our team size. (The first place team had men from the us national team.) There's a lot of crosstalk on each other's timelines during the challenges so friend us if you join the team (all are welcome). It's super fun to compete against imagined foes, and being on the team makes me row more than I thought was possible.

Also, if anyone is in the market for an indoor rower, please please do yourself a favor and go ahead and buy a concept 2 and nothing else. It's a great machine, engineered and built in the US by a small company of good humans. It's more expensive than other rowers, but they hold their resale value (try buying a used one, if you can find an old one, on craigslist and you will see what i mean) . There's a reason they supply like 99% of the college market, and you won't regret the purchase.
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Me me! Im also doing C2's March Madness challenge.
  • sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Please add me, too -- :)

I'm rowing half-marathons daily, and am a little over 13.5m meters total.

Rowing is living -- :)
  • gj1802
    Options
    We have both a "team" and "affiliation" on the concept 2 site-- look for "MFP Friends". You need to join the team to be part of the team challenge, and you can join the affiliation if you want but it's not necessary.

The world erg challenge is just basically, you row as much as you can and compete against other virtual and real world rowing teams. We have some certifiable crazy people on the team, and for the January virtual challenge we came in second for our team size. (The first place team had men from the us national team.) There's a lot of crosstalk on each other's timelines during the challenges so friend us if you join the team (all are welcome). It's super fun to compete against imagined foes, and being on the team makes me row more than I thought was possible.

Also, if anyone is in the market for an indoor rower, please please do yourself a favor and go ahead and buy a concept 2 and nothing else. It's a great machine, engineered and built in the US by a small company of good humans. It's more expensive than other rowers, but they hold their resale value (try buying a used one, if you can find an old one, on craigslist and you will see what i mean) . There's a reason they supply like 99% of the college market, and you won't regret the purchase.

Thanks for the info - I've signed up and completed my 1st row this morning - 13,000m which for me is a personal best is one session and I definitely agree with you when you say you rowed more than you thought possible.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Eat lean, train mean, row supreme, my motto !

Addicted to rowing . . . March Madness participant .
  • drphyl13
    drphyl13 Posts: 4
    Options
    My nickname is "DrPhyl" - just rejoined MyFitnesspal. I am excited to see this forum - folks around where I live and work, don't really respect rowing machines as the core workout. My boss is a former rower and even he is like "eh - rowing as a recreational workout, not as exciting". Glad to see that are some of us who respect and embrace rowing for fitness.

A little background on me - looking to lose between 35 to 50 pounds. Female, early 40's, 5'9.

I had a Baker's Cyst on my knee and have experienced knee issues for over a year. Even walking has been problematic as my right knee will give out from time to time, whether I am walking on a hiking trail, track or concrete. I refuse to do surgery to tighten up my knee - I have chosen to strengthen it through other options. After a ton of research, comparing everything from bikes/spinning, swimming, running, elliptical , zumba- the rower came out as the best overall fat burning non-impact workout. (I also do rebounding as well (bought a Bellicon back in April 2010) because of the lymphatic benefits).

I purchased a Concept 2 in late April of this year - I have purchased supporting RowPro software and two rowing dvds to challenge me in my rowing activities and to track my rowing splits, etc. Its good to hear others that are into rowing and like me some are learning to mature in my rowing technique and my overall rowing regimen.

I am preparing to really ramp up my workouts starting tomorrow 7/1/14. I am open to hearing about challenges you all are doing, what you are targeting as the right distances needed to really trend toward a solid fitness outcome. Do you use split times as your goal or do you push for overall row distances? I am not sure which is the best option to use for fitness training. I will say that when I started rowing, I was at a 2:48 split time - I just hit a 2:10 last week, with my goal to hit a 2:00 split time or under by the end of July.

I welcome feedback from the forum, especlally anyone from Alabama - looking for some technique assessments and workout advice. I don't want to burn out on the rower so I want to make sure I am keeping my workouts unique but at the same time, I keeping my workouts effective and working. I want to be lean like the rowers :)
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Me :). I got into rowing a few months ago and it's one of my favourite activities
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello - from Sylacauga Alabama - just started back on my C2 to add variety to my HIT cardio - pretty slow 2:30 splits but I'm doing 5K in 23 mins... Lots of fun and what a great work out. I want to join the MFP team when I figure out how. Good Luck!
    Kevin
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey! Hi to the three new posters here! Welcome and please add the rest of the group in this thread if you want. Some of us are still rowing, some are also cyclists. We did OK in the word erg challenge--it was tough but we had some amazing rowers who cranked out impressive distances.

Welcome and it's great to have more rowers!
  • patriciapowerswilliamson
    Options
    I row once a week, spin and run the other four days. I have a water rower, it's really nice and I can now row faster than I can run! I love it!
  • patriciapowerswilliamson
    Options
    I have that EXACT same rower!! Same with Frank Underwood (House of Cards reference!)
  • kevinsmithrn
    Options
    So I guess you have to wait till the team signs up for the fall challenge in order to join. I'll keep an eye out and continue training! Good Luck!

Kevin
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We're signed up now for the Fall Team Challenge. Go to the C2 website and search under teams for "MFP Friends". Starts in two weeks!
  • kevinsmithrn
    Options
    Great just signed up. I just completed the " Dog Days of Summer Challenge" . It was a lot of fun and definitely motivating! Looking forward to the Fall Challenge.