When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• kolohekidd
    Options
    when i had to start buying bigger clothes, when my stomach started showing and i started getting stretch marks, when life hit me that i have a choice to look a certain way instead of feeling sorry for myself because i was fat. thats when i joined the gym and will never look back:) loving life.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My husband telling me many times how he resents being tied to me because I'm fat.

I SO hope you lose the weight and dump him.

Not as easy as that.
    We have kids.
    I'm not in my home country. About as far away from my family and friends as you can get on this planet.
    Don't have any support here.

Well I hope you figure it out. You deserve better.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My husband telling me many times how he resents being tied to me because I'm fat.

I SO hope you lose the weight and dump him.

Not as easy as that.
    We have kids.
    I'm not in my home country. About as far away from my family and friends as you can get on this planet.
    Don't have any support here.

Well I hope you figure it out. You deserve better.

i hope so.
  • Bichonlovers
    Options
    You have done an amazing job. I need some help to know if I am making the right food and exercise choices. I would like to loose about 80 lbs. have a very blessed day.
  • Julesdublin
    Julesdublin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Actually stepping on the scales and seeing that I had gained over 10 kilos in 1 year. Over 1 and a half stone.
    A friend that I hadn’t seen in 10 months coming to visit me and the first thing she said when she saw me was “Oh my God! Look how much weight you’ve gained!”.
    None of my clothes fit me. I see photos of me on facebook and I look big. Muffin top and fat arms. The woman in the photo is not me.
    But it was actually putting a number on my weight gain that shook me to the core. I will never forget the shock of seeing how heavy I am.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Seeing my 2012 Christmas pictures. I couldn't believe it was me. I started In January 2013. Still going strong.
  • m0radell
    m0radell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I realized I wasn't in shape anymore.. I couldn't (still can't yet) run even a mile like I used to. That and people kept telling me I was looking fatter and fatter.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I had pictures from an event I went to, and just seeing myself and not recognizing who I saw was heart wrenching...then going to a work sponsored weight loss program and finding out I was "obese", both of my parents are heavy and I am too stubborn and refuse to let myself be like that! 30 lbs later I am stronger and in better shape than ever!
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Over the last several years I've let myself get so big that I'm starting to run into some serious issues with mobility. I'm having a hard time getting up, much less actually walking. Body just hurts, and I have fat in places that I'm just not used to yet--its hard to navigate. I'm scared to fall because I'm not sure what we'll do, especially if I hurt something.

For years I've figured it was okay...that I'm not "that" big as long as I can walk. But now that I am starting to deal with that as a possibility, I'm scared. I do not want to be immobile!

I know this weight is my fault, and I have no one to blame but my own love for food. I have to make a change somehow!
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Over the last several years I've let myself get so big that I'm starting to run into some serious issues with mobility. I'm having a hard time getting up, much less actually walking. Body just hurts, and I have fat in places that I'm just not used to yet--its hard to navigate. I'm scared to fall because I'm not sure what we'll do, especially if I hurt something.

For years I've figured it was okay...that I'm not "that" big as long as I can walk. But now that I am starting to deal with that as a possibility, I'm scared. I do not want to be immobile!

I know this weight is my fault, and I have no one to blame but my own love for food. I have to make a change somehow!

I know you've been on this site for a while, but I can't tell you how happy I am to see you deciding to take control of your health and turn things in a new and exciting direction!
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Husband agreed to do this with me, we both wanted to get in shape and eat better so we could keep up with our son.
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know you've been on this site for a while, but I can't tell you how happy I am to see you deciding to take control of your health and turn things in a new and exciting direction!

Thank you! And thanks for being so supportive. I want to at least stop gaining and hopefully lose enough to get some mobility back!
  • cjlynn424
    Options
    When my recent boyfriend dumped me and gave me the "it's not you it's me speech" I know we should always start for ourselves but it just made me angry and made me take a good look at myself in the mirror...I didn't like what I saw..
  • Cynner2007
    Cynner2007 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The last straw for me was being denied entrance to a ride at Hershey Park, the safety bar would not latch over my belly. I had to do the walk of shame in front of everyone..
  • akaar78
    akaar78 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I so wanna take so many pics with my boys ...but I hesitate to even take a family portrait once a year
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I started the day that my doctor told me my fasting blood glucose was 241, and that she was giving me insulin right now, there in her office.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sleep apnea. I was waking with excruciating headaches that went away after a few minutes after waking....cause I was breathing again! I also realized that if I died that very minute no one would be surprised and say how young I was but how obese I was.
  • katienepodal
    katienepodal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me it was seeing that I was the same weight that I was in high school. I know that sound stupid, and that for so many people high school was a time to be remembered but for me high school was a time for me where I was a dependent insecure child who didn't even think her close friends even found her attractive. I became healthy in the first years of college as an independent adult, figuring out life and how to live life, but in the past few months have regressed, and don't want to let myself become the same insecure girl I was in high-school. Part of that is becoming healthy again, and I'm more than happy to put in the effort.
  • zeussmith718
    zeussmith718 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I got a promotion at work, instead of always having to do all the physical work myself which kept me in ok shape I now tell others what to do and only sometimes get my hands dirty. I gained 15 pounds in the last year and said I won't hit 200lbs... I started working out 3 weeks ago at 195 and and have gained 3 pounds since.. I would be fine with gaining if its all muscle.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Whenever I was 5 lbs over the weight limit to ride a horse and said to my father in law, what if I'm too heavy, and he replied "there is no way you weigh more than 250 lbs"
    Then I got on the horse and couldn't even ride her because my pelvis hurt from spreading my legs so far....